Thread poster: gales
gales
gales
Brazil
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Dec 15, 2014

Hi!

I usually work using two computers: a laptop and a desktop. I mostly use the desktop, especially at home. But sometimes I need to work in places other than my house, so I use the laptop. To do that, I have a shared folder in the laptop where I keep all the documents I need. When at home, I work on the desktop and access this folder (in the laptop) through a home network. When travelling, I take the laptop and don’t need to use the internet to access them.

I used
... See more
Hi!

I usually work using two computers: a laptop and a desktop. I mostly use the desktop, especially at home. But sometimes I need to work in places other than my house, so I use the laptop. To do that, I have a shared folder in the laptop where I keep all the documents I need. When at home, I work on the desktop and access this folder (in the laptop) through a home network. When travelling, I take the laptop and don’t need to use the internet to access them.

I used to do that in an older version of memoQ. It would take a bit longer to load the resources, but it worked fine.

Now I have memoQ 2014 (7.0 translation pro) installed in both computers, and keep Projects, TMs, TBs, Corpora, etc in the laptop's shared folder. But it is not working well. For instance, from both computers, I sometimes can’t access older or newly created TMs and corpora.

Is it possible to work with a shared folder and keep my working documents in it? In this case, what do I need to do? Is there a better way to work with memoQ in two computers?

Thanks a lot!
Collapse

Andrea Muller (X)
Andrea Muller (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 14:47
English to German
+ ...
Back up and restore from back up Dec 16, 2014

Hi

The few times I have used 2 computers for the same project, I backed up the project through memoQ and then restored it from backup on the other computer. Had no problems with this on versions 6.2 and 13R2, going backwards and forwards between the 2 computers several times.

See also this old thread where some people use
... See more
Hi

The few times I have used 2 computers for the same project, I backed up the project through memoQ and then restored it from backup on the other computer. Had no problems with this on versions 6.2 and 13R2, going backwards and forwards between the 2 computers several times.

See also this old thread where some people use the same method. http://www.proz.com/forum/memoq_support/255904-new_to_memoq:_how_to_work_on_a_project_in_two_computers.html

Would this work for you, too?

Andrea
Collapse

gales
gales
Brazil
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Hi, thanks for your reply! Some doubts about TMs and TBs: Dec 16, 2014

Sometimes I change computers on the same day, using the desktop at daytime and the laptop at night. Do I need to do a new back up every time I change computers?
If I use this system of restoring backed up projects in two different computers, what happens with the TMs and TBs in terms of updating? Will they be updated, editable and good to use in other projects? When backed up TMs are restored in the other computer, do they replace the ones already stored there in the Translation Memories
... See more
Sometimes I change computers on the same day, using the desktop at daytime and the laptop at night. Do I need to do a new back up every time I change computers?
If I use this system of restoring backed up projects in two different computers, what happens with the TMs and TBs in terms of updating? Will they be updated, editable and good to use in other projects? When backed up TMs are restored in the other computer, do they replace the ones already stored there in the Translation Memories folder?

Thanks!
Collapse

Minh Nguyen
Minh Nguyen  Identity Verified
Vietnam
Local time: 21:47
English to Vietnamese
Language Terminal Dec 16, 2014

gales wrote:

If I use this system of restoring backed up projects in two different computers, what happens with the TMs and TBs in terms of updating? Will they be updated, editable and good to use in other projects? When backed up TMs are restored in the other computer, do they replace the ones already stored there in the Translation Memories folder?

Thanks!

Language Terminal might be an option:

http://kilgray.com/memoq/2014R2/help-en/index.html?whats_new_in_memoq_2014_r2.html

Simon Mountifield
Simon Mountifield  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:47
French to English
External hard drive Dec 19, 2014

Hi,

My solution is to use an external hard drive, with all files, TMs, termbases, and so on, stored on that drive. If I'm going to use the laptop, I'll just plug the drive in, and vice versa if I'm going to work on the desktop. The laptop and desktop both need to be the same version, and most importantly, they need to point to the same drive. For example, if your desktop assigns the letter "F" to the external drive, make sure your laptop assigns the same letter, otherwise you'll get
... See more
Hi,

My solution is to use an external hard drive, with all files, TMs, termbases, and so on, stored on that drive. If I'm going to use the laptop, I'll just plug the drive in, and vice versa if I'm going to work on the desktop. The laptop and desktop both need to be the same version, and most importantly, they need to point to the same drive. For example, if your desktop assigns the letter "F" to the external drive, make sure your laptop assigns the same letter, otherwise you'll get an error.

Take a look at this thread for more details:

http://www.proz.com/forum/memoq_support/255904-new_to_memoq_how_to_work_on_a_project_in_two_computers.html

Hope that helps,

Simon
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to use memoQ 2014 on two computers?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »