Michael Kazakov
Michael Kazakov  Identity Verified
Israel
Local time: 00:14
English to Russian
+ ...
Dec 13, 2014

Hi all,

I read the "Client upgrade guide (memoQ 2014 - 2014 R2, English)" and I still have a question regarding the upgrade process:

Should I uninstall my current version (MemoQ 2014 Pro) before running the upgrade?

I downloaded the installation file and I noticed that the installation uses a new directory ("memoQ-2014-R2") as opposed to the current version ("memoQ-2014"). This is also reflected in the client upgrade guide (section 4).

If I
... See more
Hi all,

I read the "Client upgrade guide (memoQ 2014 - 2014 R2, English)" and I still have a question regarding the upgrade process:

Should I uninstall my current version (MemoQ 2014 Pro) before running the upgrade?

I downloaded the installation file and I noticed that the installation uses a new directory ("memoQ-2014-R2") as opposed to the current version ("memoQ-2014"). This is also reflected in the client upgrade guide (section 4).

If I continue and R2 is installed in the new directory, what happens to the files in memoq-2014 directory? Is there a cleanup procedure at the end of installation?

I don't like idea of having two separate folders for what essentially is the same program.

What is the correct and most reasonable procedure if I want to have a single most current version of the program? (2014 R2 in this case).
Collapse

Dominique Pivard
Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Finnish to French
My advice Dec 13, 2014

Michael Kazakov wrote:

I would keep both (2014 + 2014 R2), since memoQ has no problem having multiple versions installed side-by-side. If you encounter whatever problem with the new version, you can always switch back to the older one (in the case of 2014 vs. 2014 R2, nearly everything is compatible). Once you're confident 2014 R2 meets all your needs, you can uninstall the older version.
Michael Kazakov wrote:
I downloaded the installation file and I noticed that the installation uses a new directory ("memoQ-2014-R2") as opposed to the current version ("memoQ-2014").

Yes, that's the way memoQ works, precisely for the purpose of letting multiple versions cohabit.
Michael Kazakov wrote:
If I continue and R2 is installed in the new directory, what happens to the files in memoq-2014 directory? Is there a cleanup procedure at the end of installation?

Nothing happens: they stay there. If/when you decide to uninstall the older version, you can do so via the standard Windows procedure (Control Panel) and the directory will be removed.
Michael Kazakov wrote:
I don't like idea of having two separate folders for what essentially is the same program.

Well, no big deal IMO.
Michael Kazakov wrote:
What is the correct and most reasonable procedure if I want to have a single most current version of the program? (2014 R2 in this case).

Uninstall 2014 (via Control Panel), then install 2014 R2.

Zeki Güler
Zeki Güler  Identity Verified
Local time: 22:14
Member (2012)
English to Turkish
+ ...
I can't upgrade to 2014 R2 Dec 13, 2014

I bought MemoQ 2013 in March 2014. I upgraded it to MemoQ 2014 easily when it was released.
Now I again clicked to upgrade to 2014 R2 but cant see it on my computer. Still, I only see 2013 R2 and 2014 on my desktop but not 2014 R2. What should I do now?
Best,

Dominique Pivard
Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Finnish to French
Download the installer Dec 13, 2014

Zeki G. wrote:
What should I do now?

Download the installer for 2014 R2:

https://www.memoq.com/translation-products/get-memoq/downloads

Michael Kazakov
Michael Kazakov  Identity Verified
Israel
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
@ Dominique Dec 14, 2014

Dominique Pivard wrote:
Nothing happens: they stay there. If/when you decide to uninstall the older version, you can do so via the standard Windows procedure (Control Panel) and the directory will be removed.

OK, I get the general idea.

Thanks for the tips!

Zeki Güler
Zeki Güler  Identity Verified
Local time: 22:14
Member (2012)
English to Turkish
+ ...
Yes, it worked, thanks Dominique Dec 17, 2014

Dominique Pivard wrote:

Zeki G. wrote:
What should I do now?

Download the installer for 2014 R2:

https://www.memoq.com/translation-products/get-memoq/downloads

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Upgrading from MemoQ 2014 to MemoQ 2014 R2

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »