Thread poster: linda gueye
linda gueye
linda gueye  Identity Verified
Local time: 02:09
Member (2009)
English to French
Oct 21, 2014

Hi,

My computer automatically upgraded to Windows 8.1 but now Memo Q refuses to start. I searched online tips and followed all of them but none are working (Property/Compatibility/Windows 8 + Disable display scaling on high DPI scaling, restore computer to previous point...) and I have learned that it is not possible to go back to Windows 8.

Has anyone experienced same issue? Any tips to share? Thx!

Victor Westmann (X)
Victor Westmann (X)
Brazil
Local time: 03:09
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Possible solutions Oct 22, 2014

Hi Laura,

I'm a long time Windows user but I daily use Windows 7 so my WIndows 8 knowledge is somewhat limited. But here is what I'd do If I were in your situation:

I have some suggestions but they all demand for a highly technical person. Not sure if it fits your skills.
1. Try to uninstall Windows 8.1 upgrade
2. Try to make the MemoQ software run in compatibility mode.
3. Try to use a Virtual Machine inside your Windows 8 with windows 7 or any previo
... See more
Hi Laura,

I'm a long time Windows user but I daily use Windows 7 so my WIndows 8 knowledge is somewhat limited. But here is what I'd do If I were in your situation:

I have some suggestions but they all demand for a highly technical person. Not sure if it fits your skills.
1. Try to uninstall Windows 8.1 upgrade
2. Try to make the MemoQ software run in compatibility mode.
3. Try to use a Virtual Machine inside your Windows 8 with windows 7 or any previous windows version that you might already have a license for.

I believe that the safest way to handle this is to contact MemoQ company and ask them what to do or if they'll release a Windows 8.1 compatible software. Or even if you are able to run their software in some kind of compatibility mode.

Hope I've helped you and good luck!
Collapse

Nilton Junior
Nilton Junior  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 07:09
Member (2009)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Kilgray support Oct 22, 2014

Hi Linda,

I use memoQ on Windows 8.1 without any issues. I would recommend you to follow Victor's last suggestion and contact Kilgray.

By the way, I am going to move your thread to the memoQ forum as I believe you will be able to get more support from other members there.

I hope this helps.

Best regards,

Nilton Junior

linda gueye
Member (2009)
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
Issues with Windows 8.1/Memo Q not working anymore Oct 22, 2014

Thank you for your responses! I am waiting to hear from Kilgray..hopefully they can help...it seems that I have to completely restore my computer to remove 8.1 and reinstall 8...that's what I have found so far...

Denis Hay
Denis Hay
Local time: 08:09
don't panic :) Oct 24, 2014

Hi Linda,

memoQ works fine with Windows 8.1.

I guess that during your upgrade, something else got in an unusual state (maybe .NET?).

Run Windows Update, apply all the updates from Microsoft and then install the latest memoQ version over the one you have (don't worry, settings and data are preserved). That should do the trick.

linda gueye
Member (2009)
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
Issues with Windows 8.1/ Memo Q not working anymore Oct 24, 2014

Hi Denis,

Thank you for your response! Well I ended up removing 8.1 before even having a chance to discuss with Kilgray tech support because I was desperate at that time. I am back now to windows 8 and it is working just like before. Maybe something did go wrong during the upgrade....the upgrade started automatically without me having a chance to close any applications (I was still working)...

Madeleine Chevassus
Madeleine Chevassus  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 08:09
Member (2010)
English to French
SITE LOCALIZER
Link to Kilgray's support Oct 27, 2014

Hi Linda,

The support contact at Kilgray's is:

Language Terminal Support

Good luck to you

Madeleine

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Issues with Windows 8.1/ Memo Q not working anymore

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »