Thread poster: J Brandt Badger
J Brandt Badger
J Brandt Badger
United States
Local time: 11:41
Spanish to English
+ ...
Feb 6, 2010

I know you can navigate through the "insert symbol" menu to place accent marks in MemoQ, but there must be a faster way because in Spanish we use accents in almost every word. The keystrokes from MSWORD do not appear to work for accent marks in MemoQ (ctrl+ ' +letter). Any ideas? Thanks.

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2010-02-06 12:27 GMT]

[Edited at 2010-02-06 14:01 GMT]

Grzegorz Gryc
Grzegorz Gryc  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:41
French to Polish
+ ...
Some standard Windows layout... Feb 6, 2010

J Brandt Badger wrote:

I know you can navigate through the "insert symbol" menu to place accent marks in MemoQ, but there must be a faster way because in Spanish we use accents in almost every word. The keystrokes from MSWORD do not appear to work for accent marks in MemoQ (ctrl+ ' +letter). Any ideas? Thanks.

The problem is the keystrokes you use are strictly Word related.
So why I didn't use it for many, many years

You should use the keys provided by some standard Windows keyboard layout.
E.g. me, I use the US International layout for all Western Europe languages.
The idea is very similar to yours.
E.g.
é = ', then e (or AltGr + e) (the remaining letters behave in the same way)
ñ = ~, then n (or AltGr + ñ)
¿ = AltrGr+?
¡ = AltrGr+!
It works for every program installed on Windows.

Cheers
GG

[Edited at 2010-02-06 15:16 GMT]

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
A Spanish keyboard Feb 6, 2010

J Brandt Badger wrote:
I know you can navigate through the "insert symbol" menu to place accent marks in MemoQ, but there must be a faster way because in Spanish we use accents in almost every word.

Quite simply... get a keyboard with a Spanish layout! It should be fairly easy to find nowadays in shops or over the web, and tou will be able to use it for English and for Spanish alike.

Good luck!

Jennifer Taylor
Jennifer Taylor  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 15:41
Member (2008)
Czech to English
+ ...
Switch keyboard layouts in Windows Feb 6, 2010

At least this is what I do. I actually have a Mac but use MemoQ in Parallels. I just enabled the additional languages I needed via the control panel, then I just switch to the Czech/Russian keyboard when I need it. Of course, then you need to know where the keys would be on the keyboard, but you'll probably learn fast enough.

Raúl Casanova
Raúl Casanova  Identity Verified
Uruguay
Local time: 12:41
English to Spanish
In memoriam
Old timers trick Feb 7, 2010

My first computer, a venerable 386 running MS DOS 6.0 come fitted with an English keyboard (Spanish keyboards were a rarity by those times) So I had to resort to old ASCII codes to be able to type non-English characters. I don't know if it will work in MemoQ but I think it deserves a try.

Alt+160 = á Alt + 181 = Á Alt+130 = é Alt + 144 = É
Alt + 161 = í Alt + 214 = Í Alt +162=ó Alt +163 = ú
Alt + 233 = Ú Alt + 129 = ü Alt + 164 =ñ Alt + 165 = Ñ
Alt +
... See more
My first computer, a venerable 386 running MS DOS 6.0 come fitted with an English keyboard (Spanish keyboards were a rarity by those times) So I had to resort to old ASCII codes to be able to type non-English characters. I don't know if it will work in MemoQ but I think it deserves a try.

Alt + 168 = ¿ Alt + 173 = ¡ Alt + 174 = « Alt + 175 = »

Cheers
Raul
Collapse

Grzegorz Gryc
Grzegorz Gryc  Identity Verified
French to Polish
+ ...
Western code page Feb 8, 2010

Raúl Casanova wrote:

Alt + 168 = ¿ Alt + 173 = ¡ Alt + 174 = « Alt + 175 = »

It will work.
It works for every Windows application assuming you have a Western version of Windows.
For other versions (e.g. Central Europe), the default system code page is different and some codes may work in a different way (e.g. Alt + 164 =ą and Alt + 165 = Ą)

PS.
I still use some of them, especially for minuscules with acute accent marks. when my right hand is closer to the numpad...

Cheers
GG

[Edited at 2010-02-08 11:07 GMT]

juvera
juvera  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:41
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Why suffer? Feb 9, 2010

As
Jennifer Gordon wrote:
At least this is what I do. I actually have a Mac but use MemoQ in Parallels. I just enabled the additional languages I needed via the control panel, then I just switch to the Czech/Russian keyboard when I need it. Of course, then you need to know where the keys would be on the keyboard, but you'll probably learn fast enough.

Set it up, and you can switch between languages forever, any time, to and fro, and you don't need a table with numbers to get those pesky little accents. All you need is to have the accented keyboard, or a few small stickers on the keys to remind you where some of the accented characters are.

How to change keyboard language in Windows
Click Start and then Control Panel
In Control Panel, if you are in Classic View, click on Control Panel Home (top left corner)
Open Clock, Language, and Region
Click on Regional and Language Options.
Click the Keyboards and Languages tab and then click Change keyboards.
Under Installed services, click Add.
In the Add Input Language dialog box, select the keyboard layout you would like to add from the list available and click OK.
The keyboard layout you added will be included in the list. To set the new layout as your default, select it from the list. Click OK to save your changes
You can switch between different input languages (= keyboard languages) by clicking on the Language Bar button or by pressing the Alt + Shift keys

Benjamin Blocksom
Benjamin Blocksom  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 12:41
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Is there a way to do this on a Mac running parallels with English keyboard? Apr 29, 2016

Pressing alt + any number combination brings up the Windows Live screen...

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to place accent marks in MemoQ

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »