Thread poster: Luke Mersh
Luke Mersh
Luke Mersh  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 21:19
Spanish to English
Sep 4, 2015

Dear friends and colleagues.

I would like your help on information on a good book about Medical Procedures.

I am slowly building up my resources, I know that there are a lot of websites and information on the internet, but I would like to know if anybody knows of a good book on this subject too.

any advice is welcome.

many thanks in advance.

jyuan_us
jyuan_us  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 17:19
Member (2005)
English to Chinese
+ ...
I think you need to narrow down your question Sep 4, 2015

What is a book on medical procedures? I think you should first define your phrase of medical procedure before anybody can come up with any advice.

Luke Mersh
United Kingdom
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER
reply Sep 4, 2015

Thank you for your comment.

I am looking for a book that explains medical procedures in a clear way.

I am looking for a book that covers many medical procedures, what I mean is medical operations.

To help me better understand medical reports and what each test or operation carried out involves.

regards

Woodstock (X)
Woodstock (X)  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 22:19
German to English
+ ...
For lack of any more specifics Sep 4, 2015

I just googled "medical procedures books" and got an impressive looking list at the online book store alibris in UK. They also have used books, so that would make acquisition quite a bit cheaper.
http://www.alibris.co.uk/search/books/subject/Medical-Medical-Procedure?
That doesn't really answer your question, but it's a start.

If you get no
... See more
I just googled "medical procedures books" and got an impressive looking list at the online book store alibris in UK. They also have used books, so that would make acquisition quite a bit cheaper.
http://www.alibris.co.uk/search/books/subject/Medical-Medical-Procedure?
That doesn't really answer your question, but it's a start.

If you get no other more useful - i.e. specific - suggestions here, I would ask at a reputable medical school what they recommend to their students, or call a medical library.
Collapse

Elif Baykara Narbay
Elif Baykara Narbay  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 00:19
German to Turkish
+ ...
Still not narrow enough Sep 4, 2015

but you can have a look at the publications of Springer Verlag or Thieme. This may help.

Luke Mersh
United Kingdom
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER
narrowing down Sep 4, 2015

Thank you all for your replies and comments.

Let me see if I can narrow down further.

I am looking for books that can help me better understand medical reports, how to interpret them and understand the terminology stated on the report.

As medical reports can be on different medical operations , I am trying to find book on medical operations so I understand what has been carried out.

many thanks.

Fiona Grace Peterson
Fiona Grace Peterson  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 22:19
Italian to English
Approach Sep 4, 2015

If your goal is to understand medical reports, I think you need to take a different approach.

The medical field is so vast that a single volume could not possibly cover all procedures. You would probably be better off looking for sample medical reports (you can find a lot on the Internet), and studying the various issues and fields that come up.

Or go to a medical library, as Woodstock suggests - that way you can actually look through what's available and find what bes
... See more
If your goal is to understand medical reports, I think you need to take a different approach.

The medical field is so vast that a single volume could not possibly cover all procedures. You would probably be better off looking for sample medical reports (you can find a lot on the Internet), and studying the various issues and fields that come up.

Or go to a medical library, as Woodstock suggests - that way you can actually look through what's available and find what best fits your needs.
Collapse

Luke Mersh
United Kingdom
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER
narrowing down Sep 4, 2015

@Fiona
I agree with you there actually.
I have been looking for sample medical reports, but as these are generally confidential, it makes it difficult to find good samples.

will continue to search the net and other resources.

Kevin Fulton
Kevin Fulton  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 17:19
German to English
No general medical "cookbook" Sep 4, 2015

It's certainly possible that someone has written "Surgery for Dummies" ...
But as far as I know, there is no general text on medical procedures, as each physiological system requires different treatment approaches, that is, a heart catheterization is quite different from inserting a catheter into a bladder, for example. Even a general procedure such as imaging entails different technologies (ultrasound, X-ray, CAT, PET CT, etc.), as well as varying patient preparation.

You mig
... See more
It's certainly possible that someone has written "Surgery for Dummies" ...
But as far as I know, there is no general text on medical procedures, as each physiological system requires different treatment approaches, that is, a heart catheterization is quite different from inserting a catheter into a bladder, for example. Even a general procedure such as imaging entails different technologies (ultrasound, X-ray, CAT, PET CT, etc.), as well as varying patient preparation.

You might find it fruitful to look for a manual for medical transcriptionists or physician assistants which will define/explain different medical terms and procedures. Your personal physician might be able to direct you to useful source material.
Collapse

Elif Baykara Narbay
Elif Baykara Narbay  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 00:19
German to Turkish
+ ...
If you look for laboratory investigations, Sep 4, 2015

it is a whole world by itself.

To my knowledge, there is no single book covering them all. It is a huge subject and it takes time to progress in the terminology and basic knowledge.

Start simple. Pick some keywords (clinical chemistry, laboratory investigations etc and perform an effective google search.
There you can find some forms and references and that would narrow you search. Examine the websites for medical school curricula. They may refer to some litera
... See more
it is a whole world by itself.

To my knowledge, there is no single book covering them all. It is a huge subject and it takes time to progress in the terminology and basic knowledge.

Start simple. Pick some keywords (clinical chemistry, laboratory investigations etc and perform an effective google search.
There you can find some forms and references and that would narrow you search. Examine the websites for medical school curricula. They may refer to some literature sources.
Collapse

TechStyle
TechStyle  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Billing codes? Sep 4, 2015

You might be best looking at the (US) billing system for this - there should be some good reference sources, and it should give you a fairly broad overview of common procedures.

If you look at it from a "medicine" angle, you'll get buried in specialties straight away: you'll find oncology textbooks, ophthalmology textbooks etc, but little or nothing that gives an overview of the whole field. Medical billing, though, tries to encompass the whole range, from ingrown toenails to psychi
... See more
You might be best looking at the (US) billing system for this - there should be some good reference sources, and it should give you a fairly broad overview of common procedures.

If you look at it from a "medicine" angle, you'll get buried in specialties straight away: you'll find oncology textbooks, ophthalmology textbooks etc, but little or nothing that gives an overview of the whole field. Medical billing, though, tries to encompass the whole range, from ingrown toenails to psychiatric treatment. That, and perhaps a medical dictionary for specific terms you need definitions for, might give you a decent start.
Collapse

Gisela Greenlee
Gisela Greenlee  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:19
German to English
+ ...
Check out the samples available at this site Sep 5, 2015

http://www.mtsamples.com/

This is a site for medical transcriptionists and they have a treasure trove of sample medical reports, just about any procedure and specialty.

Arabic & More
Arabic & More  Identity Verified
Jordan
Arabic to English
+ ...
Student materials Sep 5, 2015

Try searches for nurse or doctor study guides or aids on Amazon.com. There are many useful books and other materials that simplify various topics for medical and nursing students.

Luke Mersh
United Kingdom
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER
found book a medical records. Sep 7, 2015

I have found a good book about understanding medical records, now I am trying to narrow down my field to help with which area of specialization to go for, had thought about cardiology, but an still trying to decided.

regards

Luke Mersh
United Kingdom
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER
reply Sep 9, 2015

@Kevin.

I have been looking at books about medical transcription and they too look interesting.
Looks like I will be getting a few different books.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Natalie[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Looking for a good book on medical procedures- help needed

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »