Thread poster: Carolina Garrido
Carolina Garrido
Carolina Garrido  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 17:01
Member (2015)
English to Spanish
Jan 24, 2016

Not sure this is the right place to post this question, but I have been through all categories several times and was not sure where to place it, and since TM-Town claims to "boost your business" I thought marketing would be appropriate.

Have you signed up? Are you using it? Is it worth the time and effort (and money if you want to upgrade)?

I would really appreciate your comments on this.

[Edited at 2016-01-24 01:27 GMT]

Meta Arkadia
Meta Arkadia
Local time: 05:01
English to Indonesian
+ ...
TM-Town revisited Jan 24, 2016

Carolina Garrido wrote:
Have you signed up? Are you using it? Is it worth the time and effort (and money if you want to upgrade)?

• I signed up
  • I'm using TM-Town
  • It won't cost you much time and effort (hardly any)
  • I don't pay for the upgrade, because I don't need it

Elsewhere, I listed the advantages:

• You have a copy of your TMs in the cloud
  • You can search one/more than one/all your TMs simultaneously
  • And you can search them blistering fast, without having to use your own hardware resources
  • Uploaded segments counts for your TM-T ranking, improving your "exposure"
  • And most importantly (we all hope), outsourcers will use your TMs to find you. They can upload the document (or parts of it, or keywords only) that needs to be translated, and TM-T's algorithm will find the most suitable candidate based on hits in the uploaded TMs. That's not a guarantee, but it helps finding an experienced translator
  • M-T offers heaps of other useful features, including OCR and aligning, too much to mention, really.

Don't use it if you don't trust TM-Town's security, or TM-Town itself.

Cheers,

Hans

• Dani Karuniawan
    Dani Karuniawan  Identity Verified
    Indonesia
    English to Indonesian
    + ...
    I did tried it Jan 24, 2016

Carolina Garrido wrote:

Have you signed up?

Yes

Carolina Garrido wrote:

Are you using it?

No.

Carolina Garrido wrote:

Is it worth the time and effort?

Do you want to give thousands or millions of your translation units for free [of charge] to men behind it?
    I do not want to do it. I will do it only if TM town buys my TMs. They should pay me, instead of me paying them, because I give them my TMs.

Carolina Garrido wrote:

Is it worth money?

I don't think so.
    You give them your TMs and, then, your money.
    What do you get?
    Uncertain opportunity, which is not comparable to your TM values and money.
    Be smart!

[Edited at 2016-01-24 07:20 GMT]

Viktoriia Horiachko

Meta Arkadia
    Meta Arkadia
    English to Indonesian
    + ...
    I should have added Jan 24, 2016

[Don't use it if you don't trust TM-Town's security, or TM-Town itself,] or if you don't understand it.

Cheers,

Hans

Barbara Carrara
    Barbara Carrara  Identity Verified
    Italy
    Local time: 00:01
    Member (2008)
    English to Italian
    + ...
    Link to an old thread on the subject Jan 24, 2016

http://www.proz.com/forum/prozcom_profile_help/289102-please_remove_this_unwanted_feature_tm_town_export.html

There was a more recent discussion on TM-Town, but I seem to be unable to find it. Perhaps someone else will be able to provide you with the link to that one as well.

Personally, I have no inter
    ... See more
    http://www.proz.com/forum/prozcom_profile_help/289102-please_remove_this_unwanted_feature_tm_town_export.html

There was a more recent discussion on TM-Town, but I seem to be unable to find it. Perhaps someone else will be able to provide you with the link to that one as well.

Personally, I have no interest in TM-Town or in 'sharing' my translations, mostly for NDA-related reasons, and am still waiting to know how to remove this 'feature' from my profile page, as promised by site founder Henry Dotterer on 4 August 2015 (quote extracted from above-mentioned link, page 1)

Henry Dotterer wrote:

It will take a few weeks, but we will provide the option to make such invitations disappear.

[Edited at 2016-01-24 08:02 GMT]
    Collapse

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
    Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
    Spain
    Member (2005)
    English to Spanish
    + ...
    My two cents Jan 24, 2016

Carolina Garrido wrote:
    Have you signed up?

Yes. I wanted to know what it all was about.

Carolina Garrido wrote:
    Are you using it?

No, for several reasons:
    - Because of my NDAs with most customers, I am not really able/allowed/inclined to post my memories online, although I am fairly reassured that they would not be used by anyone other than myself.

- I have hundreds of separate memories (about 30 customers, many of which are agencies with a number of different end customers each), many with hundreds of thousands of segments, and many of them growing every week. It would be unnecessary extra work to keep uploading and updating my memories all the time. Searching all my memories for something alone does not justify the effort (I actively keep a single termbase for all key terminology, to avoid the need to search the memories).

- There is no connector between TM-Town and my main CAT tool (memoQ), so there would be no big advantage in keeping memories online. If a connector existed, then one advantage of keeping copies of the memories online would be the opportunity to translate on the go without connecting to my in-house memories.

Carolina Garrido wrote:
    Is it worth the time and effort (and money if you want to upgrade)?

TM-Town's alignment tool is quite handy, if you ask me. Other than that, in my case I do not see a big advantage in taking the time of putting everything online. This does not mean that it could be useful for other translators who have less strict NDAs or simpler sets of memories (or even one single memory for everything, as I have seen over time).

..... (X)
    ..... (X)
    Local time: 07:01
    Webinar / New Feature Jan 24, 2016

Hi Carolina,

If you are interested in learning more, I am hosting a free webinar on ProZ about TM-Town on Jan. 26th at 14:00 GMT.

Dani Karuniawan wrote:

Do you want to give thousands or millions of your translation units for free [of charge] to men behind it?
    I do not want to do it. I will do it only if TM town buys my TMs. They should pay me, instead of me paying them, because I give them my TMs.

Understandably, this is a common criticism and point of hesitation for many translators. We have tried to make it very clear in our Terms of Service that your work is your work and it stays private and in your control. However, as Giovanni said in a previous thread:

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL wrote:

that my TMs wouldn't be exploited in any way. I'm not calling this a "scam", but just people telling me "we won't do it" is not enough for me. There's just too much at stake.

With this in mind we have been hard at work on a new feature which we are hoping to release soon - a desktop application where in a completely offline environment you can create a special "Town Credits File" which will allow you to get discovered through our Nakōdo search engine without having to actually load any aligned translation units or any full segments.

How it works:
    1) Download the desktop application
    2) You load a translation memory (TM) file into the desktop application
    3) The desktop application creates a "Town Credits File" which is just a plain text file with the file extension ".town"
    4) You load the Town Credits File to your TM-Town account

The Town Credits File contains the following information:
    1) A count of the number of translation units in your TM file
    2) A count of the number of segments in your TM file
    3) A word count
    4) The language pair of your TM file
    5) The top terms from your file
    6) An encrypted checksum of the file (to ensure one can't 'cheat' and change data in the file)

As the Town Credits file is just a plain text file you can open it and see with your own eyes exactly what you would be loading to TM-Town. To reiterate - there are no segments or aligned TM data in the file.

Our goal is to help translators find work and grow their business, and we think a big part of that is helping clients easily find the translators who have experience and knowledge in the domain of the client's text.

The benefits of loading an actual TM to TM-Town (instead of a Town Credits File) would be as Hans said above:
    • You have a copy of your TMs in the cloud
    • You can search one/more than one/all your TMs simultaneously
    • You can search TMs you have loaded to TM-Town from within your CAT tool (currently supports CafeTran and a Trados Studio 2015 plugin is in beta)
    • You can align documents
    • You can create terminology glossaries from terms extracted from your TMs
    • You can sell your terminology glossaries on the TM-Town Terminology Marketplace
    • and more...

Kevin

Stuart Hoskins
    Stuart Hoskins
    Czech to English
    + ...
    Who’s really making a grab for our TMs? Jan 24, 2016

Edited at the request of the moderator:
    I don’t understand why TM-Town is being given so much airplay on Proz. [...]

In other words, before moving forward I’m more interested in the ownership structure than the content.

[Edited at 2016-01-24 10:24 GMT]

Tom in London
    Tom in London
    United Kingdom
    Local time: 23:01
    Member (2008)
    Italian to English
    Viral Jan 24, 2016

Carolina Garrido wrote:

Since TM-Town claims to "boost your business" I thought marketing would be appropriate.

I consider all threads about TM town, such as this one, a form of viral marketing (free, not paid for). I have been informed by Proz that they will enable us to eliminate it from the "owner view" of our profiles but so far I haven't had confirmation that this has been done.

Erik Freitag
    Erik Freitag  Identity Verified
    Germany
    Member (2006)
    Dutch to German
    + ...
    Exactly. Jan 24, 2016

Stuart Hoskins wrote:
    I don’t understand why TM-Town is being given so much airplay on Proz.

In other words, before moving forward I’m more interested in the ownership structure than the content.

My thoughts exactly.

[Edited at 2016-01-24 10:37 GMT]

Meta Arkadia
    Meta Arkadia
    English to Indonesian
    + ...
    Apparently... Jan 24, 2016

Stuart Hoskins wrote:
    I don’t understand why TM-Town is being given so much airplay on Proz.

... people are interested because TM-Town is rather innovative, and start a thread on TM-Town. I don't think TM-Town's Kevin is behind it, and since a lot of posts are rather negative, I even think he can very well do without this kind of publicity.

Cheers,

Hans

[Edited at 2016-01-24 11:11 GMT]

Merab Dekano
    Merab Dekano  Identity Verified
    Spain
    Member (2014)
    English to Spanish
    + ...
    Clouds Jan 24, 2016

Some of my customers prevent me even from using Dropbox. It's all in NDAs. I would not risk. And why would I "post" my TMs in a "cloud"? To find them easily? I have no difficulties at all locating them on my PC and on my backup hard drives.

Viktoriia Horiachko

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member because it was not in line with site rule
    Carolina Garrido
    Carolina Garrido  Identity Verified
    United States
    Local time: 17:01
    Member (2015)
    English to Spanish
    TOPIC STARTER
    Thank you! Jan 24, 2016

Tom in London wrote:

Carolina Garrido wrote:

Since TM-Town claims to "boost your business" I thought marketing would be appropriate.

I consider all threads about TM town, such as this one, a form of viral marketing (free, not paid for). I have been informed by Proz that they will enable us to eliminate it from the "owner view" of our profiles but so far I haven't had confirmation that this has been done.

Hi Tom

I'm sorry to have disturbed you, I can assure you this was a genuine question, not viral marketing. I searched for threads with information but didn't find them, oobviously a mistake.

I spent a long time living in areas with no internet access so my translation work was completely traditional, and in the past year I have been been learning all I missed during that time and feeing a bit like Rip Van Winkle.

Thank you everybody for your comments, the confidentiality problem and NDAs was one of my biggest concerns, it is great to hear your different takes on this. Thank you!

Matthias Brombach
    Matthias Brombach  Identity Verified
    Germany
    Member (2007)
    Dutch to German
    + ...
    Not to forget... Jan 24, 2016

Carolina Garrido wrote:
    the confidentiality problem and NDAs was one of my biggest concerns

...your "best rate", once you are eligible for a job...

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3 4 5] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
    Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What could you tell me about TM-Town?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
    Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
    Wordfast Pro
    Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »