Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Which linux distro is best for translators?
Thread poster: Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 01:19
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
May 9, 2011

My main machine is and will remain Windows 7, but I feel like playing around with linux (again) on a laptop, and am wondering which distro to try out.

I was thinking of trying out the new Unity UI on Ubuntu, or perhaps Mint.

Any suggestions would be very welcome!

Michael

Setti Mulari
Setti Mulari  Identity Verified
New Zealand
Local time: 12:19
Finnish to English
Ubuntu May 9, 2011

I started using Ubuntu some months ago and it's okay. I had SuSE before and kind of liked it as well. Ubuntu is a bit more user-friendly though, I find, as I'm not a Linux aficionado.

The free CAT tools in Linux are, I'm sad to say, quite a bit behind Trados still... I can't wait for the day when I can ditch Trados but for now I guess I have to put up with it.

esperantisto
esperantisto  Identity Verified
Local time: 03:19
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Wrong question May 9, 2011

You'd better ask: which one supports your hardware (unless you're going to have a computer built to your specs)? Just burn a couple of live CDs/DVDs (most distros have them) and find out. And if you have a friend or neighbor experienced in Linux and willing to help, choose his distro.

Besides, if you're not determined to leave Windows, think twice before wasting your time.

P. S. Mine is openSUSE, and I recommend giving it a try.

[Edited at 2011-05-09 18:07 GMT]

FarkasAndras
FarkasAndras  Identity Verified
Local time: 02:19
English to Hungarian
+ ...
HW compatibility May 9, 2011

esperantisto wrote:

You'd better ask: which one supports your hardware (unless you're going to have a computer built to your specs)?

I'd hope that most consumer laptop configurations are now supported by all the major distros now... The "hack your driver" days are over, aren't they?
I myself use Ubuntu occasionally (for play, not work) and I'm reasonably happy with it. Burning live CDs of all the major candidates and trying them out definitely sounds like a good idea. Try ubuntu, fedora, debian etc, see if your graphics/wifi card works correctly, then decide which you prefer.

esperantisto
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Not really May 10, 2011

FarkasAndras wrote:

I'd hope that most consumer laptop configurations are now supported by all the major distros now... The "hack your driver" days are over, aren't they?

Not really. Web cameras, for example, may be problematic. And sound and video too, especially on cheap models featuring something like ATI Radeons, for some of which neither free nor proprietary driver is good. Actually, if you want a laptop with Linux, find one with Linux preinstalled. As for a desktop, well, replacing the sound or video card may be a feasible solution.

FarkasAndras
FarkasAndras  Identity Verified
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Ouch May 10, 2011

esperantisto wrote:

FarkasAndras wrote:

Not really. Web cameras, for example, may be problematic. And sound and video too, especially on cheap models featuring something like ATI Radeons, for some of which neither free nor proprietary driver is good. Actually, if you want a laptop with Linux, find one with Linux preinstalled. As for a desktop, well, replacing the sound or video card may be a feasible solution.

I could easily accept the loss of the built-in webcam on a laptop, but not having sound is obviously not an option. Things aren't progressing as nicely as I thought they were, apparently.
BTW there are manufacturers (Lenovo comes to mind) who make linux-friendly configurations and even provide linux drivers for their machines, even for configs they don't sell with linux preinstalled. These would obviously be great candidates for people who want to dual-boot or just run linux.

Romeo Mlinar
Romeo Mlinar
Portugal
English to Serbian
+ ...
None May 10, 2011

The reason is very simple: software tools and file formats in the industry mostly revolve around Windows platform. MS Office, Trados, Wordfast...

Sure, Open Office can open Word files... nominally. Don't try to save in non-native format, though.

If you must use Linux, Ubuntu 32 bit could be a nice choice (beware of the new Unity interface, you may not like it). You can use Wordfast Pro on Linux.

Of course, I'm talking about pro translation. If you wish to
... See more
The reason is very simple: software tools and file formats in the industry mostly revolve around Windows platform. MS Office, Trados, Wordfast...

Sure, Open Office can open Word files... nominally. Don't try to save in non-native format, though.

If you must use Linux, Ubuntu 32 bit could be a nice choice (beware of the new Unity interface, you may not like it). You can use Wordfast Pro on Linux.

Of course, I'm talking about pro translation. If you wish to translate in FOSS - any platform would do.
Collapse

esperantisto
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Irrelevant May 10, 2011

Mlinar wrote:

Your remark is irrelevant as it relates to another issue. MS Office runs in Linux via wine or Crossover Linux (and in my experience MS Word 2007 works even a bit faster than in Windows XP on the same machine). Wordfast Classic runs fine with MS Word 2000, again, via Crossover. Obviously, Trados or Deja Vu X won’t run in Linux, but we are discussing Linux for translators, not Linux for Trados or Deja Vu X users, aren’t we?

esperantisto
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Well, May 10, 2011

FarkasAndras wrote:

not having sound is obviously not an option.

Well, some prefer working in silence . And anyway built-in speakers do not deliver real sound quality. For the sake of objectivity: in most cases, sound problems can be easily corrected by one-minute tweaking of config file (in Windows, if you’ve got such a problem, it’s more of a trouble) and/or updating ALSA.

Danesh
Danesh
Local time: 03:49
English to Persian (Farsi)
Ubuntu 11.04 is OK May 10, 2011

All in all, Ubuntu 11.04 Desktop x64 works well for me so far. The only headache is its new Unity interface!

[Edited at 2011-05-10 14:47 GMT]

VojtaDziewiecki
VojtaDziewiecki
Czech Republic
Czech to Polish
+ ...
Linux hardware, wordfast classic, unity Nov 17, 2011

I don't think hardware is such a big issue on linux, however, I find it a good idea to check linux compatibility of a laptop's wi-fi and video cards before buying it. As for video cards, nvidia and intel are ok, radeons don't have good linux drivers, as esperantisto said.
Just google "your laptop" specifications, then "its wi-fi card" linux, that should give you the basic idea.
I don't know about webcams, never had a problem with sound on linux though.

Esperantisto, you
... See more
I don't think hardware is such a big issue on linux, however, I find it a good idea to check linux compatibility of a laptop's wi-fi and video cards before buying it. As for video cards, nvidia and intel are ok, radeons don't have good linux drivers, as esperantisto said.
Just google "your laptop" specifications, then "its wi-fi card" linux, that should give you the basic idea.
I don't know about webcams, never had a problem with sound on linux though.

Esperantisto, you managed to make wf classic work with crossover? I tried many times with wine, and I never succeeded...
I always did it with word 2003, do you think it's worth trying with 2000?
Crossover is AFAIK just wine with paid support, I doubt it would make a difference...
Now I use OmegaT and I must say I'm quite happy with it.

Danesh: If you don't like Unity, try installing xubuntu-desktop, I have been using xubuntu since 2 years and I must say I love it!

[Edited at 2011-11-17 13:07 GMT]

[Edited at 2011-11-17 13:20 GMT]
Collapse

esperantisto
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Yeah Nov 18, 2011

VojtaDziewiecki wrote:

Esperantisto, you managed to make wf classic work with crossover?

With MS Word 2000 installed into a Windows98-type bottle, the only working solution I could find. Works quite fine (PlusTools too).

[Edited at 2011-11-18 06:53 GMT]

opolt
opolt  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Ubuntu, but ... Nov 18, 2011

... with the recent interface changes, Ubuntu's star is sinking, I would say. You may get used to this new interface, but it's not for everyone (personally I have just switched to Fedora).

(OTOH, and to give you some perspective, I have just bought a new computer with Windows 7 preinstalled, and I was really, really shocked. I have to explain that apart from booting into XP every three months or so, I haven't had a closer look at any Win interface for many years. I mean, the interfa
... See more
... with the recent interface changes, Ubuntu's star is sinking, I would say. You may get used to this new interface, but it's not for everyone (personally I have just switched to Fedora).

(OTOH, and to give you some perspective, I have just bought a new computer with Windows 7 preinstalled, and I was really, really shocked. I have to explain that apart from booting into XP every three months or so, I haven't had a closer look at any Win interface for many years. I mean, the interface is still highly inconsistent, confusing and cluttered, after so many years. Not to mention its plain default ugliness. I swear I'm not a Linux zealot and I honestly expected MS to do much better in this regard. I thought they had grown up. So it can't get much worse just by trying out Ubuntu ... )

IMHO, Ubuntu is still the most easy to set up distro out there, not only wrt hardware but also in their software and driver packaging. If you're somewhat unexperienced, go for it! Mint as an Ubuntu derivative might be a good option if you don't like U's desktop.

It agree with previous posters that most of the hardware is supported these days, for instance on my new Dell Vostro 460 everything worked out of the box. But sometimes you have to jump through hoops (printers, scanners ...). Some graphics cards are problematic, and some fancy USB devices won't work (e.g. USB sound).

In general, it is best to check for hardware compatibility beforehand, and buy hardware only according to what Linux can support. I have been using Linux almost exclusively for close to 13 years or thereabouts, and there have never been any problems with hardware support at all, including on laptops and on a netbook. It pays to be a bit conservative in what you buy ... plus, even if the set-up is a hassle, it usually works forever once it's done.

Wrt to CAT and MS Word, well, that really depends on your workflow and customers. But in most cases you will need a dual boot setup, or a virtual machine to run Windows. It's all about the MS Word file format really. Most of the other stuff is easy to deal with on Linux.

[Edited at 2011-11-18 11:55 GMT]

PS Oops, I hadn't noticed that this thread started months ago -- sorry for the lengthy writeup.

[Edited at 2011-11-18 12:02 GMT]
Collapse

Danesh
Danesh
Local time: 03:49
English to Persian (Farsi)
Ubuntu without Unity Nov 19, 2011

VojtaDziewiecki wrote:

Danesh: If you don't like Unity, try installing xubuntu-desktop, I have been using xubuntu since 2 years and I must say I love it!

[Edited at 2011-11-17 13:07 GMT]

[Edited at 2011-11-17 13:20 GMT]

Thanks a million Vojta. I managed to get rid of Unity in my lovely Ubuntu 11.4. It works very well.

Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
back again Jul 27, 2014

Hi everyone,

It's been a while since I started this thread, but I recently bought myself a new work computer (a very powerful Dell Precision laptop, with 16GB RAM, 500GB SSD, super-powered graphics card), and am currently toying with the idea of dual booting Win7/64-bit (my trusty work OS) and a Linux distro. I think I might dual boot for a while just for fun. What I want to look into is whether it is possible to create a Linux install that could be used to do all my actual w
... See more
Hi everyone,

It's been a while since I started this thread, but I recently bought myself a new work computer (a very powerful Dell Precision laptop, with 16GB RAM, 500GB SSD, super-powered graphics card), and am currently toying with the idea of dual booting Win7/64-bit (my trusty work OS) and a Linux distro. I think I might dual boot for a while just for fun. What I want to look into is whether it is possible to create a Linux install that could be used to do all my actual work on. I also want to experiment with running CafeTran on Linux for a change. While I play around, I will just boot back into Win7 to do my real work.

The idea so far is to run a virtualised copy of Win7 inside my Linux distro. I am also planning to try out Wine, PlayOnLinux, and anything else I can think of.

So the idea is to have 3 partitions on my Dell laptop:
1. Win7
2. Linux (w/ a copy of Win7 virtualised inside)
3. Shared data partition

So I am once again looking for ‘the best’ distro. This time around I am simply downloading them all, sticking them on a USB stick (with unetbootin-windows-608.exe), and test-installing them on an old laptop. Once I decide which one I like the look and feel of, I will then start preparing my new laptop for the adventure.

So far, my favourite has been Lubuntu. Still have to try:

• zorin-os-9-core-64 (apparently good for Windows compatibility)
• tuxtrans1404-amd64.iso (I noticed today that this project is alive again; they just added the Heartsome stuff…)
• Peppermint-5-20140623-amd64.iso (LXDE)
• openSUSE-13.1-KDE-Live-x86_64.iso
• openSUSE-13.1-DVD-x86_64.iso
• Mageia-4.1-x86_64-DVD.iso
• linuxmint-17-cinnamon-64bit-v2
• Mint: MATE/Xfce
• Fedora-Live-LXDE-x86_64-20-1.iso
• crunchbang-11-20130506-amd64.iso
• bodhi-2.4.0-64.iso
• Ubuntu (want to see how awful that Unity desktop actually is)
• Kububtu
• Xubuntu (I used this once, long ago)

Michael

[Edited at 2014-07-27 21:52 GMT]

[Edited at 2014-07-27 23:53 GMT]
Collapse

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Prachya Mruetusatorn[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Which linux distro is best for translators?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »