Jul 6, 2015

Just "I" will suffice.

FarkasAndras
FarkasAndras  Identity Verified
Local time: 18:23
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Why? Jul 6, 2015

I'm not sure why you would want to singlehandedly extirpate a phrase, and one as bland as this particular one. Some mild redundancy is certainly not unheard of in set phrases. I for one don't have any problem with "I for one".

Meta Arkadia
Meta Arkadia
Local time: 23:23
English to Indonesian
+ ...
For once Jul 6, 2015

Personally, I think you're right.

Cheers,

Hans

Claudia Cherici
Claudia Cherici  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2010)
English to Italian
+ ...
indeed Jul 6, 2015

hear hear

564354352 (X)
564354352 (X)  Identity Verified
Denmark
Danish to English
+ ...
Fusspot Jul 6, 2015

Cambridge Dictionaries Online:

For one:
used to say that you think your opinion or action is right, even if others do not: The rest of you may disagree, but I, for one, think we should proceed with the plan.

Longman Dictionary of Contemporary English:

I, for one...
used to emphasize that you believe something, will do something etc. and hope others will do the same: I, for one, am proud of the team's effort.

I, for on
... See more
Cambridge Dictionaries Online:

For one:
used to say that you think your opinion or action is right, even if others do not: The rest of you may disagree, but I, for one, think we should proceed with the plan.

Longman Dictionary of Contemporary English:

I, for one...
used to emphasize that you believe something, will do something etc. and hope others will do the same: I, for one, am proud of the team's effort.

I, for one, would not normally use this expression, but in future I might, just for the heck of it, Tom.
Collapse

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 17:23
Member (2008)
Italian to English
TOPIC STARTER
Yawn Jul 6, 2015

Gitte Hovedskov, MCIL wrote:

stuff

I knew somebody would do that. So predictable.

[Edited at 2015-07-06 15:18 GMT]

Gudrun Wolfrath
Gudrun Wolfrath  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Unless Jul 6, 2015

you had to translate "ich für mein(en) Teil" into English.

Erik Freitag
Erik Freitag  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2006)
Dutch to German
+ ...
Yawn, too. Jul 6, 2015

Tom in London wrote:

Gitte Hovedskov, MCIL wrote:

stuff

I knew somebody would do that. So predictable.

[Edited at 2015-07-06 15:18 GMT]

Well, it's just as predictable that every now and then, somebody will confuse their very personal taste with some kind of authoritative and all-embracing wisdom.

Not that I mind a lot (I have my pet peeves, too).

As you said: yawn.

Jack Doughty
Jack Doughty  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Russian to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Other priorities Jul 6, 2015

I for one (or I for another, if you prefer) can think of a lot of other terms and expressions I would like to make disappear. For example, I saw something recently quoting figures for "gender violence offences". They sound like excruciatingly bad translations of inflected languages.

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
TOPIC STARTER
I object to it because... Jul 6, 2015

..it makes the person who says it look stupid, and I'm sure nobody likes to look stupid.

Of course I can't universally stamp out that pointless, annoying, redundant form of words (because "I" is of course always "one" and never more than "one"), but I would have thought that translators, who are supposed to be sticklers about language, wouldn't ever knowingly say stupid things.

But hey, be my guest(s).

[Edited at 2015-07-06 17:02 GMT]

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
I don't use it often... Jul 6, 2015

...but in its place it can be useful. I agree, not something to be overdone.

Some languages have distinct pronouns for 'We and not you' or 'We including you'
- and an expression in the singular is needed at times.

I probably frequently look stupid, but stick to my guns regardless of what others think...
OK, I'll try and say 'For my part' or IMHO or something else as long as I remember!

Wilsonn Perez Reyes
Wilsonn Perez Reyes  Identity Verified
El Salvador
Local time: 10:23
Member (2007)
English to Spanish
+ ...
It can be useful Jul 6, 2015

I, for one / I, for my part are useful both in English and in Spanish (yo, por mi parte) if used properly.

I think the same applies to the equivalent of the expression in other languages.

David Wright
David Wright  Identity Verified
Austria
German to English
+ ...
There is a difference Jul 6, 2015

between I ... and I for one .., it might be question of emphasis, of focus, it might suggest that there are probably others who agree with you, etc.

I think there is a need to distinguish between correct language (and all its many variants) and personal taste. I can't see why it should make someone sound stupid, and just because the topic starter thinks it makes people sound stupid doesn't mean it actually does. Personally, I for one, and my wife for another, and the dog for yet ano
... See more
between I ... and I for one .., it might be question of emphasis, of focus, it might suggest that there are probably others who agree with you, etc.

I think there is a need to distinguish between correct language (and all its many variants) and personal taste. I can't see why it should make someone sound stupid, and just because the topic starter thinks it makes people sound stupid doesn't mean it actually does. Personally, I for one, and my wife for another, and the dog for yet another, think it's time to clamp down on pedantry.
Collapse

564354352 (X)
564354352 (X)  Identity Verified
Denmark
Danish to English
+ ...
Language police Jul 6, 2015

It would be much more helpful to us non-native English speakers if people with a more perfect grasp of the English language would point out things to us that are actually wrong. Simply stating your personal preferences or pet peeves is no help to anyone...

There are loads of things here on Proz that I would like to see done away with, including the over-frequent use of IMHO and similar useless phrases, but I, for one, can live with such language abuse, even if I dislike it intensely
... See more
It would be much more helpful to us non-native English speakers if people with a more perfect grasp of the English language would point out things to us that are actually wrong. Simply stating your personal preferences or pet peeves is no help to anyone...

There are loads of things here on Proz that I would like to see done away with, including the over-frequent use of IMHO and similar useless phrases, but I, for one, can live with such language abuse, even if I dislike it intensely...
Collapse

Rita Pang
Rita Pang  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 12:23
Member (2011)
Chinese to English
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
Personal preferences Jul 6, 2015

I have a tendency to use the word "basically" a lot when speaking with others, and have been told (more than once) that it could be stupid. To that, I say "whatever". I haven't offended anyone save the fact that maybe my choice of words aren't optimal to certain members of my audience.

I for one think that languages are organic and so long as I see an active use of different words (instead of, well, saying basically all the time - which I am trying to avoid...
See more
I have a tendency to use the word "basically" a lot when speaking with others, and have been told (more than once) that it could be stupid. To that, I say "whatever". I haven't offended anyone save the fact that maybe my choice of words aren't optimal to certain members of my audience.

I for one think that languages are organic and so long as I see an active use of different words (instead of, well, saying basically all the time - which I am trying to avoid ) - I don't see a problem with using that at all.
Collapse

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Please stop saying "I for one".

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »