Sumit Sarkar
Sumit Sarkar  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 16:46
English to Bengali
+ ...
Apr 1, 2017

Dear friends of Proz
I was looking for any site rules for requesting site stuff to add Santali/Santhali as an important and emerging tribal language of India. This is to be noted that population of Santali speaking people are more than many other languages e.g., Nepali, Shylati etc. Educated people among them is quite a large and hence a section of Santhali middle class are starting to assert themselves. It is a good economy. And a lot many sites have already started to tap this opportunit
... See more
Dear friends of Proz
I was looking for any site rules for requesting site stuff to add Santali/Santhali as an important and emerging tribal language of India. This is to be noted that population of Santali speaking people are more than many other languages e.g., Nepali, Shylati etc. Educated people among them is quite a large and hence a section of Santhali middle class are starting to assert themselves. It is a good economy. And a lot many sites have already started to tap this opportunity. It is a loss of opportunity for me too.
I appeal to you to give this language an opportunity that it well deserves.
I could also have asked for Ho language as well. But as even Santali is yet to get it's entry, I think it might have to wait longer until Santali gets an entry.
Personally I'm sympathetic to both the languages.
Best wishes
Sumit
Collapse

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 12:16
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
I completely and totally support it! Apr 1, 2017

I entirely agree. Makes total sense, if you consider that statistics claim that there are more speakers of Santali than speakers of some European languages.

Fabio Descalzi
Fabio Descalzi  Identity Verified
Uruguay
Local time: 08:16
Member (2004)
German to Spanish
+ ...
Support + suggestion Apr 1, 2017

Hi Sumit1970. Good idea. I very well remember reading about Santali and other "exotic" languages some time ago. Santali, a Munda language, a distant relative of Vietnamese and Khmer. And, yes, an important language wit about 6 million speakers (similar to Danish and Norwegian!) so it is not a bad idea to include it here.

Please, submit a support request and state the importance of your suggestion. Also include the ISO-639-2 code of t
... See more
Hi Sumit1970. Good idea. I very well remember reading about Santali and other "exotic" languages some time ago. Santali, a Munda language, a distant relative of Vietnamese and Khmer. And, yes, an important language wit about 6 million speakers (similar to Danish and Norwegian!) so it is not a bad idea to include it here.

Please, submit a support request and state the importance of your suggestion. Also include the ISO-639-2 code of the language, SAT.
Reference: http://www-01.sil.org/iso639-3/documentation.asp?id=sat

Good luck with this!
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Let Santali language also enter the language pool of Proz

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »