Phoebe Indetzki
Phoebe Indetzki  Identity Verified
Local time: 20:40
German to English
+ ...
Sep 23, 2014

I was sent this link by a friend, and it really made me laugh:

http://www.kent.ac.uk/careers/cv.htm

If you scroll about halfway down the page, you come to a section entitled "Why you need to use a spell checker" followed by "And why you must read it carefully as well".

It's hard to choose a favourite, but I did very much like

"I hope to hear from yo
... See more

If you scroll about halfway down the page, you come to a section entitled "Why you need to use a spell checker" followed by "And why you must read it carefully as well".

"I hope to hear from you shorty"

and

"I'm from the European Onion"
Collapse

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 19:40
Member (2008)
Italian to English
HTML Sep 23, 2014

Phoebe Ruth wrote:

"I hope to hear from you shorty"

and

"I'm from the European Onion"

That linked website should be called "how not to write HTML" since large parts of it do not display correctly.

Perhaps it's an example of Muphry's Law (that's M U P H R Y, not "Murphy").

Muphry's Law states that "If you write anything criticising something written by somebody else, there will be a fault of some kind in what you have written".

Your examples are funny

[Edited at 2014-09-23 10:25 GMT]

Phoebe Indetzki
Phoebe Indetzki  Identity Verified
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
@Tom Sep 23, 2014

I'm sorry to hear it's not displayed correctly for you - I had no problems at all. If you didn't get to read the other examples, I can copy and paste them for you. There are some real gems in there.

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 19:40
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Not tested Sep 23, 2014

Phoebe Ruth wrote:

I'm sorry to hear it's not displayed correctly for you - I had no problems at all. If you didn't get to read the other examples, I can copy and paste them for you. There are some real gems in there.

Yes, it probably works in your browser, but it's a basic rule of designing websites that you test them in all common browsers before going live. My browser is very common and is used by millions and millions of people (Apple Safari). Clearly the person who designed this website didn't bother to check.

But no matter. These CV howlers are quite funny but on the other hand, I find it rather depressing to think that young people reaching employable age have been so badly educated that they are still making elementary mistakes and shooting themselves in the foot right at the beginning of their working lives.

[Edited at 2014-09-23 12:43 GMT]

Melanie Meyer
Melanie Meyer  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 15:40
Member (2010)
English to German
+ ...
Rabid typist Sep 23, 2014

Thanks for sharing, Phoebe. This gave me a good laugh. Especially the rabid typist, 'dear Madman' and 'I enjoy hiding my horse'.

[Edited at 2014-09-23 13:24 GMT]

Vera Schoen
Vera Schoen  Identity Verified
Sweden
Member (2008)
German to Swedish
+ ...
My favourite Sep 23, 2014

"i am a prefectionist and rarely if if ever forget details."

Thank's for the laugh, Phoebe!

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 21:40
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Spelling software would not detect all errors Sep 23, 2014

"Sock control" does not offend any spelling checker. Even I have the habit of controlling my socks at times. I feel sympathy for all who have to struggle with English spelling rules.
(Chrome spell checker does not find any mistake in the above posting, perhaps I have overcome Myrphu's rule?)

Susan Ruusunen
Susan Ruusunen  Identity Verified
Finland
English to Finnish
+ ...
thanks for the laughs Sep 23, 2014

Dear Madman,

thanks for the laughs!

*stops typing now before getting foamy in the mouth*

Maria Popova
Maria Popova  Identity Verified
Bulgaria
Member (2011)
German to Bulgarian
Especially liked ... Sep 24, 2014

Especially liked "Dear Madman (instead of Madam)" and of course "Working Kills (This may very well be true in the long term but Working Skills might just be a better heading.)".

[Edited at 2014-09-24 12:16 GMT]

[Edited at 2014-09-24 12:17 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Wonderful typos in CVs

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »