Thread poster: Fiona Grace Peterson
Anne Maclennan
Anne Maclennan  Identity Verified
Local time: 23:27
Member (2010)
German to English
+ ...
Use of Kudoz instead of dictionaries and own research? Aug 16, 2017

I too am amazed at the way Kudoz seems to be used by some site users. I have not calculated per day or per week use, but I frequently notice numbers of questions posed by certain askers totalling between 1 000 and more than 2 000 questions over a short period of time, if their membership or listed data is correct. Some of the questions I have seen have been basic, or at least obtainable from dictionaries - online or purchased - or from other types of research. I now hestitate to reply to q... See more
I too am amazed at the way Kudoz seems to be used by some site users. I have not calculated per day or per week use, but I frequently notice numbers of questions posed by certain askers totalling between 1 000 and more than 2 000 questions over a short period of time, if their membership or listed data is correct. Some of the questions I have seen have been basic, or at least obtainable from dictionaries - online or purchased - or from other types of research. I now hestitate to reply to questions on Kudoz, because it seems to me that there are translators out there who are earning their money on the back of other translators and I suspect accepting rates which make it difficult for their truly professional colleagues to obtain a fair rate for the job.
Is there nothing that can be done by ProZ to curb this tendency?
Collapse

Maija Cirule
Maija Cirule  Identity Verified
Latvia
Local time: 00:27
German to English
+ ...
I have Aug 16, 2017

anne mac wrote:

I too am amazed at the way Kudoz seems to be used by some site users. I have not calculated per day or per week use, but I frequently notice numbers of questions posed by certain askers totalling between 1 000 and more than 2 000 questions over a short period of time, if their membership or listed data is correct. Some of the questions I have seen have been basic, or at least obtainable from dictionaries - online or purchased - or from other types of research. I now hestitate to reply to questions on Kudoz, because it seems to me that there are translators out there who are earning their money on the back of other translators and I suspect accepting rates which make it difficult for their truly professional colleagues to obtain a fair rate for the job.

realized this truth a year ago and this in complex with calling names, childish behaviour and absolutely strange terms introduced in ENG>LAV glossaries was the main reason why I quit my participation in KudoZ several months ago. It seems that right now there exist no terms and conditions regarding KudoZ.

[Edited at 2017-08-16 10:01 GMT]

Fiona Grace Peterson
Fiona Grace Peterson  Identity Verified
Italy
Italian to English
TOPIC STARTER
The more the merrier Aug 16, 2017

anne mac wrote:

It's become pretty clear that the site has no desire whatsoever to do so. All this talk of "granting permissions" is complete nonsense. A frathouse party of sorts.. the more the merrier.

Nikki Scott-Despaigne
Nikki Scott-Despaigne  Identity Verified
French to English
Rules and exceptions Aug 16, 2017

Rules are there to provide structure to the way something functions. Exceptions are possible, discretion can be used. It would seem that the KudoZ rules are in fact guidelines.

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 22:27
Member (2008)
Italian to English
I have been told Aug 16, 2017

Nikki Scott-Despaigne wrote:

Rules are there to provide structure to the way something functions. Exceptions are possible, discretion can be used. It would seem that the KudoZ rules are in fact guidelines.

When I was a new Proz member, another member with whom I was in contact privately told me that one way to give kudoz points to a friend is to ask a series of dumb terminology questions, wait for your friend's response, and award them the points. Then next time, you swap roles.

Fiona Grace Peterson
Fiona Grace Peterson  Identity Verified
Italy
Italian to English
TOPIC STARTER
Great work Proz! Aug 19, 2017

Alejandro Cavalitto wrote:

Please note that these temporary exemptions are granted (or denied) by site staff. Members of site staff have approved every one of the exemptions you list.

Thanks Alejandro. Just a quick post to congratulate you and all the site staff on your excellent work. You must be very proud to see how far the site has come.

milena ferrante
milena ferrante  Identity Verified
Member (2006)
English to Italian
+ ...
It's still going on Jan 4, 2018

This thing is happening more and more often. As far as I can notice for example today a member has asked I don't know how many terms. So for some time I've decided not to answer questions, unless there are 2-3.

Why is he allowed to do so?

I think this is NOT correct and should DEFINITELY get stopped. I might sound a bad person but that's what I think.

It might be unfair competition in my humble opinion.

You accept a job and then your colleagues
... See more
This thing is happening more and more often. As far as I can notice for example today a member has asked I don't know how many terms. So for some time I've decided not to answer questions, unless there are 2-3.

Why is he allowed to do so?

I think this is NOT correct and should DEFINITELY get stopped. I might sound a bad person but that's what I think.

It might be unfair competition in my humble opinion.

You accept a job and then your colleagues work for you for free.
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Number of questions permitted per day - clarification requested

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »