Sarah McDowell
Sarah McDowell  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 09:45
Member (2012)
Russian to English
+ ...
Nov 29, 2013

I am wondering what can be done about Kudoz questions that were asked several months ago but have not yet been closed. Is there any mechanism to send the asker a reminder?

What is the usual procedure for this situation? Is this something we should direct to the Kudoz moderators? I know it's a rather minor issue but I've been wondering about it nonetheless.

Sarah

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 15:45
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
As far as I know, Nov 29, 2013

the procedure is as follows:

1.11 - What happens if a "help" question isn't graded? [Direct link]

If a "help" question has received answers but not been closed within three days, an email is sent to the asker reminding him or her to grade. If the question remains open after four such reminders have been sent (over 2 weeks), an attempt is made to select the best answer automatically. An 'autograding robot' makes its selection based on the net number of peer 'agrees' rece
... See more
the procedure is as follows:

1.11 - What happens if a "help" question isn't graded? [Direct link]

If a "help" question has received answers but not been closed within three days, an email is sent to the asker reminding him or her to grade. If the question remains open after four such reminders have been sent (over 2 weeks), an attempt is made to select the best answer automatically. An 'autograding robot' makes its selection based on the net number of peer 'agrees' received by each answer, according to the following rules:
- To be considered, an answer must have at least two "net agrees" (agrees-disagrees).
- The answer with the highest number of net agrees is selected. If two answers have the same number of net agrees, the last one entered is selected. The idea is that if two answers gather the same number of net agrees, the one that did so in a shorter period of time may be better. In other words, all those agreed to the second answer have seen the first one and still voted for the second, therefore preferring the second answer, while those that voted for the first one may not have seen the second answer when voted.

If no answer has at least 2 net agrees, it remains open.

http://www.proz.com/faq/70204
Collapse

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Local time: 16:45
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
You can add an agree to one of the answers Nov 29, 2013

Agrees can always be added, even after the question is closed.

If there is one answer you think is better than the others, add an agree, and this may be enough for the robot to close the question.

If you don't agree with any of them, it may not be such a good dea, and the original asker may have had the same problem! It seems a bit heartless to 'close without grading', so they don't close the question at all. Or they may have chosen the option of letting the community c
... See more
Agrees can always be added, even after the question is closed.

If there is one answer you think is better than the others, add an agree, and this may be enough for the robot to close the question.

If you don't agree with any of them, it may not be such a good dea, and the original asker may have had the same problem! It seems a bit heartless to 'close without grading', so they don't close the question at all. Or they may have chosen the option of letting the community choose the best answer.

Of course, one agree may not be enough, but there are - or at least have been - others who browse through the unclosed questions and add agrees where they can. Sooner or later, the question may be closed that way. Otherwise there is not a lot you can do.

If I find a particularly useful answer - whether the question was closed or not - I sometimes add an agree or word of thanks to the person who gave it. And I have received similar messages years after answering the question!

All part of the fun side of KudoZ, and just a little way of showing appreciation. It can be particularly heart-warming if the question was never closed.
Collapse

Mats Wiman
Mats Wiman  Identity Verified
Sweden
Member (2000)
German to Swedish
+ ...
In memoriam
Great summary! Nov 29, 2013

A pretty good summary by two knowledgable members refreshing the memory of an old moderator!

Thanks

Mats

Cedomir Pusica
Cedomir Pusica  Identity Verified
Serbia
Member (2009)
English to Serbian
+ ...
No need to close Nov 30, 2013

If the proposed responses are not adequate or deemed adequate by asker, I believe they should linger around - maybe a feature should be enabled for listing such questions separately with different 'urgency' levels (days/months/years overdue).

It would trigger higher accuracy and possible positive / adequate responses by someone in the future, thus adding higher value to the answers.

Berit Kostka, PhD
Berit Kostka, PhD  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 17:45
Member (2014)
English to German
+ ...
But what if the asker comment on an answer is positive? Aug 8, 2014

I know this comes quite late to this thread but I hope someone will still read it anyway and can voice their opinion.

I see the point in not closing a question when the asker wasn't happy with any of the provided answers. But what to do if the asker has actually commented on the (only) provided answer and was happy with it and even thanked for the help?

Why then not close and grade?

Robert Forstag
Robert Forstag  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 10:45
Spanish to English
+ ...
@ Berit Aug 11, 2014

In such a case, you could (if you feel strongly enough about the matter), contact the Asker (i.e., through the discussion thread of the question or via a personal e-mail) and ask that he/she grade the question.

There are questions that I answered years ago that remain open. Kind of irritating, but there are also other more pressing things to worry about....

Elizabeth Tamblin
Elizabeth Tamblin  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
French to English
In view of what Christine wrote... Aug 11, 2014

… is it possible to view a list of kudoz questions that haven't been graded/closed?

[Edited at 2014-08-11 13:00 GMT]

Christel Zipfel
Christel Zipfel  Identity Verified
Member (2004)
Italian to German
+ ...
Click on "see more translation questions" Aug 11, 2014

Elizabeth Tamblin wrote:

… is it possible to view a list of kudoz questions that haven't been graded/closed?

and then "Status: open"

So you see all open questions in the language(s) and fields you want.

Of course, you should go at least to the second page, as the other ones are too recent.

Happy agreeing:-)

(I do this myself from time to time as I find questions not closed are irritating for the answerer(s) and prove ingratitudine from the asker)

Elizabeth Tamblin
Elizabeth Tamblin  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
French to English
Thanks Christel! Aug 11, 2014

That's good to know!

Carol Gullidge
Carol Gullidge  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2006)
French to English
+ ...
A few habitual "non-closers" Jan 2, 2015

[quote]Christel Zipfel wrote:

I find questions not closed are irritating for the answerer(s) and prove ingratitudine from the asker)

A few Askers are habitually more ungrateful than others. These are the ones who rarely thank anybody or even deign to make any comment whatsoever, and even expect potential helpers to follow a succession of their questions, thereby ignoring the requirement to re-post the context with each question and taking it for granted that their colleagues all have the time to trawl back over previous questions to ascertain the context. They also tend to leave an awful lot of questions open, no matter how many good answers they may receive. This is not only inconsiderate to fellow Prozers who have devoted a certain amount of time and effort to help them, but it also goes no way towards improving the Glossaries.

After a while, you spot a pattern with certain Askers and don't even bother to waste time trying to help them.

writeaway
writeaway  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
Over 7300 questions asked, 50 closed without grading Jan 2, 2015

and 4 without valid answers. Just one example.
But the questions just keep pouring in and each and every one gets answered. Clearly many people don't mind helping arrogant or inconsiderate askers and apparently such askers see no reason why they should change their ways. Just post a term or phrase, some context and then ask for suggestions without bothering to offer any. This attitude has made a lot of people stop taking the time to answer Kudoz questions.

Daryo
Daryo
United Kingdom
Serbian to English
+ ...
and the best joke Jan 3, 2015

is that if you dare to remind them that they don't bother closing they questions, you are the one who gets told off for being inconsiderate!

Linda Miranda
Linda Miranda  Identity Verified
Portugal
French to Portuguese
+ ...
Where exactly can I click on "see more translation questions"? I don't see it anywhere... Thanks. Jan 3, 2015

Christel Zipfel wrote:

Elizabeth Tamblin wrote:

and then "Status: open"

So you see all open questions in the language(s) and fields you want.

Of course, you should go at least to the second page, as the other ones are too recent.

Happy agreeing:-)

(I do this myself from time to time as I find questions not closed are irritating for the answerer(s) and prove ingratitudine from the asker)

[Editado em 2015-01-03 22:49 GMT]

Bernhard Sulzer
Bernhard Sulzer  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 10:45
English to German
+ ...
Make them close it Jan 4, 2015

writeaway wrote:

and 4 without valid answers. Just one example.
But the questions just keep pouring in and each and every one gets answered. Clearly many people don't mind helping arrogant or inconsiderate askers and apparently such askers see no reason why they should change their ways. Just post a term or phrase, some context and then ask for suggestions without bothering to offer any. This attitude has made a lot of people stop taking the time to answer Kudoz questions.

I agree. Why bother answering if askers can't even close a question. There are some other issues (like basically copying other people's answers and then those are chosen by the asker quite annoying and childish). See the thread I just started: http://www.proz.com/forum/kudoz/279926-dont_allow_asker_to_select_an_answer_which_has_not_received_any_agrees_or_any_comments_at_all.html

I'd say take away asking privileges when questions aren't closed. In other words, once the asker who didn't close a question comes back to post a new question, the system will remind her/him to first close the question she/he left open. At least that would help except for those questions whose askers never return.

[Edited at 2015-01-04 22:16 GMT]

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Kudoz questions which are never closed

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »