Thread poster: iyavor
iyavor
iyavor
Local time: 18:43
Hebrew to English
+ ...
Jul 24, 2017

Hi everyone,

I am curious as to the legal status of simultaneous/consecutive interpretation in other countries.

In Israel, where I live, there are certification programs (e.g. Bar Ilan University) for both interpretation and translation, but they aren't a legal requirement to practice the profession, so essentially, anyone can claim to be a professional translator or interpreter. Besides, government agencies rarely insist on working with certified professionals here, an
... See more
Hi everyone,

I am curious as to the legal status of simultaneous/consecutive interpretation in other countries.

In Israel, where I live, there are certification programs (e.g. Bar Ilan University) for both interpretation and translation, but they aren't a legal requirement to practice the profession, so essentially, anyone can claim to be a professional translator or interpreter. Besides, government agencies rarely insist on working with certified professionals here, and simply look for the best prices available through translation agencies. As you can imagine, this leads to an erosion of the quality of the work and in the prices we can charge.

What's the case in the countries you live in? How can we give our profession the status it deserves in the eyes of the law?

Thanks!
Ilan Yavor
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Survey: legal status of interpretation worldwide

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »