Resources to help during live interpretation
Thread poster: Elizabeth Ellis
Elizabeth Ellis
Elizabeth Ellis
Portuguese to English
Aug 29, 2015

Hello, this is my first post here. I've been doing translation work, voice recordings and some live interpreting for 20 years. My native tongue is Portuguese. I can speak both European and Brazilian Portuguese.

I am now applying to do interpretation over the phone. Do you know of any resources/apps that would help me during a call when I can't recall a word? I already use Google Translate. In your opinion, is that the best online translator or do you use something else? Any other r
... See more
Hello, this is my first post here. I've been doing translation work, voice recordings and some live interpreting for 20 years. My native tongue is Portuguese. I can speak both European and Brazilian Portuguese.

I am now applying to do interpretation over the phone. Do you know of any resources/apps that would help me during a call when I can't recall a word? I already use Google Translate. In your opinion, is that the best online translator or do you use something else? Any other resources to help me prepare for the oral and written exam? Or just tips on interpreting via phone, in general?

Thank you! Obrigada!

Elizabeth
Collapse

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)
Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)  Identity Verified
Thailand
Local time: 19:59
English to Thai
+ ...
Lists of PDF materials Aug 29, 2015

Elizabeth Ellis wrote:

I am now applying to do interpretation over the phone. Do you know of any resources/apps that would help me during a call when I can't recall a word? I already use Google Translate. In your opinion, is that the best online translator or do you use something else? Any other resources to help me prepare for the oral and written exam? Or just tips on interpreting via phone, in general?

Elizabeth

I repeatedly use a number of cyberspace materials for telephone interpretating. Please read upper lists of PDF materials in the search link below.
https://www.google.co.th/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=telephone%20interpretation%20material%20standards

Soonthon L.

LilianNekipelov
LilianNekipelov  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 08:59
Russian to English
+ ...
I am afraid there are no resources for that type of work Aug 29, 2015

just a very good phone. How can you use google translate while interpreting? Do you tell the speakers to pause or something, yes, I do not think you can really use anything other than your knowledge.

Diana Coada (X)
Diana Coada (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 13:59
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Glossary software Aug 29, 2015

InterpretBank or Interplex are great and allow you to build glossaries, practice using new terms and prepare for assignments.

And please stay away from Gurgle Translate.

Daryo
Daryo
United Kingdom
Local time: 13:59
Serbian to English
+ ...
ask the speaker Aug 29, 2015

when you are interpreting you have no time for looking at anything, and you don't need.

when you are doing consecutive interpreting (the only you can do realistically over a phone line) the best source for asking anything will be the "live source" at the other end of the line - the speaker.

At the difference from translating, where you could (but shouldn't) "cut corners" / indulge in just putting on paper the first thing that crosses your mind as a possible translation
... See more
when you are interpreting you have no time for looking at anything, and you don't need.

when you are doing consecutive interpreting (the only you can do realistically over a phone line) the best source for asking anything will be the "live source" at the other end of the line - the speaker.

At the difference from translating, where you could (but shouldn't) "cut corners" / indulge in just putting on paper the first thing that crosses your mind as a possible translation [according to the principle "who cares, the car crash will happen long after it's out of my hands"], in live interpreting it won't wash - if your output is not understandable, the talking will very quickly grind to a halt - in the next few minutes, even seconds.

If the speaker is ambiguous or unclear, there are no two ways about it - you have to ask the speaker for clarifications. It's NOT a sign of "being unprofessional", what IS is trying "to blag it" / pretend that you understood, which usually only results in a delayed but more spectacular car crash ...

If even after clarification you don't understand what the hell he/she is going on about - tough luck - you've bitten more than you chew - time for a strategic retreat. Situation that's better avoided, if possible.

IF things are done properly, you should be given at least a reasonable notice of the subject matter to be discussed and preferably sent a selection of the documents that will be discussed - so that you can prepare yourself.

I say IF because the usual marketing BS of too many agencies is that somehow interpreters are some sort of machines that you just switch ON and miraculously they understand immediately everything, as if they know all the history of your previous negotiations when in fact they just bumped in in a dialogue that's going on for weeks or months ...

The knowledge needed takes YEARS to accumulate - all you can do in the short term is to improve you knowledge in few fields you want to specialize in.

And, yes, get the phone with the best acoustics you can find, including the best headphone/mic you can find to plug in - so that you have free hands for taking notes.

[Edited at 2015-08-29 20:51 GMT]

[Edited at 2015-08-30 06:08 GMT]
Collapse

PatrickMoreschi
PatrickMoreschi
United States
Local time: 06:59
Live interpretation Nov 6, 2015

Live interpretation to be effective when they ought to know as much with respect to how guests learn and recollect data presented to them as they do about the assets or object they are interpreting. Interpreting live for television or conference requires special skills, namely even greater rapidity than for normal conference interpretation as well as constraints for delivery.... See more
Live interpretation to be effective when they ought to know as much with respect to how guests learn and recollect data presented to them as they do about the assets or object they are interpreting. Interpreting live for television or conference requires special skills, namely even greater rapidity than for normal conference interpretation as well as constraints for delivery. Some time a situation came that time you require assets to be preceded. This is the best option to avoid a disturbance during interpreting.Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Resources to help during live interpretation

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »