Thread poster: raindrop7799
raindrop7799
raindrop7799  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 12:32
English to Chinese
+ ...
Jan 30, 2015

Looking for a person to read English with me to improve my pronunciation, then I can help you to improve your Chinese pronunciation by reading Chinese too. Please contact me, looking forward to hear from you.

Henry Hinds
Henry Hinds  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 13:32
English to Spanish
+ ...
In memoriam
College or University Jan 30, 2015

I would suggest going to a local college or university that offers classes in Chinese and making your request through one of the instructors. You would have a much better chance of finding someone than here.

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 20:32
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Online TV Jan 31, 2015

raindrop7799 wrote:

Looking for a person to read English with me to improve my pronunciation, then I can help you to improve your Chinese pronunciation by reading Chinese too. Please contact me, looking forward to hear from you.

Why not watch the BBC News online?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-radio-and-tv-14563857

José Henrique Lamensdorf
José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 16:32
English to Portuguese
+ ...
In memoriam
With all due respect... Jan 31, 2015

Tom in London wrote:

raindrop7799 wrote:

Why not watch the BBC News online?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-radio-and-tv-14563857

If the OP is in the USA, perhaps the local TV, wherever they are, will be a closer match.

The gentleman who taught me English mostly from the ground up had been a BBC newscaster in WWII. This took place in the mid-1960s. Ten years later, it took me about a month in Los Angeles for a complete conversion. Nowadays I couldn't "fake" EN-UK to save my life, if I had to.

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 20:32
Member (2008)
Italian to English
You saw the light? Jan 31, 2015

José Henrique Lamensdorf wrote:

.... it took me about a month in Los Angeles for a complete conversion

Wow - a religious experience in LA !!

José Henrique Lamensdorf
Brazil
English to Portuguese
+ ...
In memoriam
In fact I did! Jan 31, 2015

Tom in London wrote:

José Henrique Lamensdorf wrote:

.... it took me about a month in Los Angeles for a complete conversion

You saw the light?

Wow - a religious experience in LA !!

That was the start. After working 14 years for American companies in Brazil, being one of the few locals who didn't mind (nor get tired) from spending days at work with expats who didn't learn to speak Portuguese, plus countless trips to the US, it sort of seeped in.

Every now and then an American comments on my "sense of humor" when I try to explain that I'm Brazilian. An occasional Brit on Skype or phone will say "Aw, suh, yaw're Amarican, yaw'll haff taw spayk slawar, playz."

Lourdes Barrientos
Lourdes Barrientos  Identity Verified
United States
English to Spanish
+ ...
Hilarious! Jan 31, 2015

The way you wrote that, makes me think of my British English as a second language I learnt while in Mexico and then coming to live in California! My "conversion" took a lot more than one year, haha...
LuLu Barrientos

José Henrique Lamensdorf
Brazil
English to Portuguese
+ ...
In memoriam
Countless anecdotes about such incidents Feb 1, 2015

Lourdes Barrientos wrote:

The way you wrote that, makes me think of my British English as a second language I learnt while in Mexico and then coming to live in California! My "conversion" took a lot more than one year, haha...
LuLu Barrientos

Here in Brazil, I saw literally hundreds of Portuguese immigrants who went through a much deeper "conversion" to become "Brazilians". Item #6 on this page highlights why it involves more than UKxUS English. It's worth mentioning that not all who moved here did it.

Anyway, one such case I had business with told me that once, after a somewhat long conversation with a Brazilian, that other person suddenly realized it and exclaimed in surprise, "You are Portuguese!", to which he replied, "Yes, nobody's perfect."

Stephen Fry on this video gives a glimpse on the strain Hugh Laurie was under to keep two variants under the same hat.

An afterthought on this discussion here led me to a somewhat sad conclusion. In many countries, the average citizen's language standard has gone down, perhaps too much. We, as professional translators, are required to master (at least) two languages better than their respective average native speakers.

I don't mean it's widespread, but in Brazil I see foreigners writing better Portuguese than the typical "average" local. To keep myself to ONE example, I read part a fellow translator's 400-page PhD thesis. On top of the subject being very interesting, it was written in such brilliantly crafted PT, that I had a hard time to stop reading it, to go care for some urgent work requests. So I wrote an e-mail to compliment on her writing style. On her reply, she explained, "I am Italian. I only began learning Portuguese at age 30, when I moved to Brazil." Dumbfounded!

In the USA, I see second or third-generation native Americans who speak English with a heavier foreign accent than mine, mostly ES, IT, CN, JP, among a few others. So I realize that my EN-US accent might be not really that good, they merely lowered the bar.

Jessica Noyes
Jessica Noyes  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 15:32
Spanish to English
+ ...
Idea for the original poster Feb 1, 2015

I suggest you ask among any "senior citizens" volunteer program in your area, or look around yourself to find a (perhaps) lonely elder with a perfect command of English. Put a note up on retirement home bulletin boards.
I once knew a young Japanese woman who met with a retired school teacher three times a week. The teacher was glad to have the company and use her skills with a motivated pupil. A Thai friend of mine was recently tutored (for free) by an eighty-year old, and that worke
... See more
I suggest you ask among any "senior citizens" volunteer program in your area, or look around yourself to find a (perhaps) lonely elder with a perfect command of English. Put a note up on retirement home bulletin boards.
I once knew a young Japanese woman who met with a retired school teacher three times a week. The teacher was glad to have the company and use her skills with a motivated pupil. A Thai friend of mine was recently tutored (for free) by an eighty-year old, and that worked well until he died. I imagine there are many others out there would be pleased to pass on their knowledge to someone like you who is eager to learn.
The older person gets connected to the community and has a new friend, the student acquires the knowledge.
Collapse

raindrop7799
raindrop7799  Identity Verified
United States
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
thanks Feb 2, 2015

Thank you so much for such a good advice, I'll try.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Looking for a person to read English with me

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »