How to configure spellchecking?
Thread poster: Dominique Pivard
Dominique Pivard
Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:06
Finnish to French
Jan 6, 2013

Under Tools > Options > QA > Built-in Spell Checker, I have selected a language (fr-FR) and downloaded the corresponding dictionary (fr_FR.zip):

However, I'm not able to add it (clicking on the 'Add' button does nothing). What am I supposed to do in order to use the dictionary I downloaded?

I assume the built-in spellcheckers are Hunspell, like in most other tools. How about Aspell, which appears to be the alternative spellchecker? How does one configure Aspell? I haven't been able to figure that out either, and the Help includes next to nothing about spellchecking. Configuration of spellcheckers in Heartsome isn't exactly intuitive.

Heartsome Support
Heartsome Support
Local time: 20:06
New Bug Jan 7, 2013

Sorry, our testing team just confirmed that it's a new bug imported in 8.1.0. You were using the built-in spell checker in the right way.
We'll fix the bug as soon as possible and will let you know. Sorry for any inconvenience caused.

Dominique Pivard
Finnish to French
TOPIC STARTER
Aspell Jan 7, 2013

Heartsome Support wrote:
Sorry, our testing team just confirmed that it's a new bug imported in 8.1.0. You were using the built-in spell checker in the right way.
We'll fix the bug as soon as possible and will let you know. Sorry for any inconvenience caused.

Thanks for confirming I did nothing wrong!

How about Aspell (once the bug has been fixed): are dictionaries available via Heartsome or only directly from Aspell? Are they free or do we have to pay for them? What languages are supported? Do you plan to integrate Microsoft Office's spellchecker (if available on the user's computer) into Heartsome?

Heartsome Support
Heartsome Support
Aspell Jan 7, 2013

1. The dictionaries installed for aspell will be available for Heartsome, like the built-in spell checker. The difference is the dictionaries for built-in spell checker are downloaded in Heartsome, and the dictionaries for aspell are installed outside Heartsome.
The usage of Aspell on Mac has been described in our FAQ, and the most commonly used aspell packages for Windows
... See more
1. The dictionaries installed for aspell will be available for Heartsome, like the built-in spell checker. The difference is the dictionaries for built-in spell checker are downloaded in Heartsome, and the dictionaries for aspell are installed outside Heartsome.
The usage of Aspell on Mac has been described in our FAQ, and the most commonly used aspell packages for Windows can be downloaded from http://aspell.net/win32/

2. Aspell and its dictionaries are free. Aspell is a GNU open source software.

3. The full supported languages (and dictionaries in source code) for Aspell can be found on ftp://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/aspell/dict/

4. We're not sure about the possibility of integerating MS Office's spell checker currently. That depends on whether MS provides necessary Application Programming Interface (API) for 3rd party software. We'll do some research later.
Collapse

Dominique Pivard
Finnish to French
TOPIC STARTER
Microsoft Office for spellchecking Jan 9, 2013

Heartsome Support wrote:
4. We're not sure about the possibility of integrating MS Office's spell checker currently. That depends on whether MS provides necessary Application Programming Interface (API) for 3rd party software. We'll do some research later.

Other tools can do it, so I guess it should be possible for Heartsome as well.

Here is the setting from memoQ:

... and from Wordfast Pro (Java application, like Heartsome):

...and from SDL Trados Studio:

Heartsome Support
Heartsome Support
Your suggestions is great Jan 9, 2013

Dominique Pivard, your suggestions is great. We are working on this now. We will try to make this function more intuitive.

Dominique Pivard
Finnish to French
TOPIC STARTER
MS Office spellchecking slower, but usually better than Hunspell Jan 9, 2013

Heartsome Support wrote:
Dominique Pivard, your suggestions is great. We are working on this now. We will try to make this function more intuitive.

Spellchecking via MS Office is slower (when called from a CAT tool) than Hunspell, but for most languages it is better than Hunspell. Besides, there are languages for which Hunspell is not available at all, or implemented in such a way it is not usable in practice (for instance, with Finnish).

Any news about fixing the current bug in 8.1 with Hunspell and Aspell?

Heartsome Support
Heartsome Support
Aspell bug fixed Jan 9, 2013

The Aspell bug have been fixed, Please select Help > Check for Updates to update your program.

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

How to configure spellchecking?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »