Christin Speck  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 00:53
Member (2012)
English to German
+ ...
Feb 9, 2016

Hi all,

I generally work on Mac and I'm a happy Wordfast user but more and more often I'm required to use SDL Trados. I don't like using Parallels on my Mac, so now I'm thinking about getting a very basic netbook to run Studio 2015 (Starter edition) for those SDL projects. it would only be for that, Studio and an office packet, not much else..Would a basic netbook with 2 GB RAM be sufficient for that? I'm thinking about something like the Lenovo idea pad 100S-11…

Than
... See more
Hi all,

I generally work on Mac and I'm a happy Wordfast user but more and more often I'm required to use SDL Trados. I don't like using Parallels on my Mac, so now I'm thinking about getting a very basic netbook to run Studio 2015 (Starter edition) for those SDL projects. it would only be for that, Studio and an office packet, not much else..Would a basic netbook with 2 GB RAM be sufficient for that? I'm thinking about something like the Lenovo idea pad 100S-11…

Thanks for any input, I've not much of an idea about those hardware issues..
Collapse

Jo Macdonald
Jo Macdonald  Identity Verified
Spain
Italian to English
+ ...
4 GB is OK Feb 9, 2016

Hi Christin,
I'm running Studio 2014, Word, a dictionary and Chrome at the mo and Task Monitor says the system is using 2.84 GB, so I don't think you'll get away with just 2 GB of RAM unless you want to wait for the computer to write the swap file. 4 GB should be fine.

You might be able to slot another 2 GB of RAM in.

Rolf Keller
Rolf Keller
Germany
English to German
Go for 8 GB Feb 10, 2016

Jo Macdonald wrote:

Hi Christin,
I'm running Studio 2014, Word, a dictionary and Chrome at the mo and Task Monitor says the system is using 2.84 GB

Is your system using 2.84 GB *incl* the swap file? If not, you wait for the swap file, at least occasionally.

My PC has 32 GB RAM, and my swap file is limited to 100 MB, i.e. practically disabled. With this configuration I can see how much RAM is really needed resp useful: My Windows 10 uses 2.7 GB without any application, so 4 GB RAM would be somewhat short anyway.

Jo Macdonald
Jo Macdonald  Identity Verified
Spain
Italian to English
+ ...
8 GB Feb 10, 2016

Hi Ralf,
Been using 4 GB for ages and never noticed the system was slow. Just chucked another 4 GB in a few weeks ago to have 8 and really no noticeable difference, few seconds sometimes maybe.
Running Windows 7, don't really like 10 and it sounds heavier too from what you say.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Suitable Netbook for Studio 2015

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »