Thread poster: Rasa Mikalauskaite
Oliver Walter
Oliver Walter  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 23:12
German to English
+ ...
Backups Aug 24, 2014

Making backups is essential because of what would otherwise happen if you accidentally delete something important, the computer's storage device (hard disk, or perhaps solid-state drive) fails, or the computer is stolen. A further reason could be so that you can recover if your computer becomes infected with a virus of the type that encrypts the drive contents, but of course you use your skeptical brain when looking at emails (and perhaps anti-virus software) to ensure that no such virus ever in... See more
Making backups is essential because of what would otherwise happen if you accidentally delete something important, the computer's storage device (hard disk, or perhaps solid-state drive) fails, or the computer is stolen. A further reason could be so that you can recover if your computer becomes infected with a virus of the type that encrypts the drive contents, but of course you use your skeptical brain when looking at emails (and perhaps anti-virus software) to ensure that no such virus ever infects your computer.

Because of the possible problems with local external disks and cloud backups mentioned in the earlier posts, the answer is obvious: have both types!
Backup to the "cloud" can be made automatic, but it won't happen when you're not Internet-connected (e.g. your router fails or you're working on a laptop in an underground train).
Backup to a plug-in drive can, I suppose be automatic (but I haven't investigated) or you can do it manually or semi-automatically with a program such as FreeFileSync. If you want to be extra sure and/or not use the cloud, you can have two drives (each of which can be either a hard disk or a flash memory stick - they are both cheaper per GB than they were a few years ago). You can then back up to them both or in alternation, and I would suggest keeping them in separate locations (at least, different rooms). To guard against theft when you're not at home, use a flash memory stick and keep it in your pocket, and then back up to the hard disk (if you use one of each) when you return home.

Oliver
Collapse

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 01:12
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
HP ProBook 4720s and Win7 Aug 25, 2014

Usually I buy a new laptop every three years, but this I intend to use longer. I exchanged the hard disc with a 500 GB SSD drive, which presently is listed for about 200 Euro. In any case I recommend to switch to SSD completely, it is so much faster in all situations. I added also RAM to 8 GB. It is in fact easy to exchange components on a laptop, there are very detailed instructions on the HP support site.
For us translators ergonomy is most important. I use an external keyboard together
... See more
Usually I buy a new laptop every three years, but this I intend to use longer. I exchanged the hard disc with a 500 GB SSD drive, which presently is listed for about 200 Euro. In any case I recommend to switch to SSD completely, it is so much faster in all situations. I added also RAM to 8 GB. It is in fact easy to exchange components on a laptop, there are very detailed instructions on the HP support site.
For us translators ergonomy is most important. I use an external keyboard together with a RollerMouse Pro pointing device attached under my desc (on a computer tray from Ikea, 19 Euro). I also have a second monitor, but use it only sparsely.
I only backup twice a year. I never had any computer breakdown, and with SSD a hard disc crash is out of the question. I store images and backups on an external hard disc drive. My system information tells me drive C 326 GB free of 465 GB.
The virus issue is overstated, I have AVG AntiVirus Free edition and never any problem with viruses.
Collapse

Rasa Mikalauskaite
Rasa Mikalauskaite
Belgium
Local time: 00:12
Member (2016)
Dutch to Lithuanian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you all Aug 28, 2014

More than I expected, I thank you all:)

I will remember that RAM size is important (I do use CAT software) as well as backup capacity. I guess I will check out Lenovo (I'm probably too old to switch to Mac...:)

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
My computer Aug 29, 2014

Rasa Mikalauskaite wrote:
Or in short, what computers do you use, examples?

My monitor:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r7ksXBOWVts
My computer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dLVgA32UTQo

And since my "professional" laptop broke a while ago and I haven't bought a new one yet, I took an old "charity shop" laptop with me on my month-long holiday recently:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ua_dZ7WhcXQ
(and the only problem was that Trados 2007 thought that it was a demo version).

[Edited at 2014-08-29 07:44 GMT]

Orrin Cummins
Orrin Cummins  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 07:12
Japanese to English
+ ...
... Aug 29, 2014

Samuel Murray wrote:

And since my "professional" laptop broke a while ago and I haven't bought a new one yet, I took an old "charity shop" laptop with me on my month-long holiday recently:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ua_dZ7WhcXQ
(and the only problem was that Trados 2007 thought that it was a demo version).

Not much of a holiday if have to use Trados, is it...

Samuel Murray
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Much of a holiday Aug 29, 2014

Orrin Cummins wrote:
Samuel Murray wrote:
And since my "professional" laptop broke a while ago and I haven't bought a new one yet, I took an old "charity shop" laptop with me on my month-long holiday recently ... (and the only problem was that Trados 2007 thought that it was a demo version).

Not much of a holiday if have to use Trados, is it...

"Month-long holiday" for freelancers means "moving the office to an exotic location for a while".

Samuel Murray
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Backups Aug 29, 2014

Heinrich Pesch wrote:
I only backup twice a year. I never had any computer breakdown, and with SSD a hard disc crash is out of the question.

The "disk" part of the SSD may be less prone to breaking, but the controller circuit board can short out, and then the SSD is a paperweight. I used to back up twice a year... until the disk crashed.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Computer for a starting translator

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »