Sameh Rabaaoui
Sameh Rabaaoui
Tunisia
Local time: 17:18
English to Arabic
+ ...
Apr 26, 2016

Hello everyone,

I have been translating mainly as a volunteer in associations so far, and wasn't lucky getting jobs with agencies here in Tunisia. I want to ask about the process of sending applications to agencies abroad; the gulf countries or the USA...

Is it common to work with an agency that is not located in one's country? Is there a set of regulations one must follow?

There's also the fact that I haven't yet chosen a certain niche. Is it obligatory t
... See more
Hello everyone,

I have been translating mainly as a volunteer in associations so far, and wasn't lucky getting jobs with agencies here in Tunisia. I want to ask about the process of sending applications to agencies abroad; the gulf countries or the USA...

Is it common to work with an agency that is not located in one's country? Is there a set of regulations one must follow?

There's also the fact that I haven't yet chosen a certain niche. Is it obligatory to choose one field in order to start working? And will I be required to use CAT tools?

[Edited at 2016-04-26 15:03 GMT]
Collapse

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
No rules Apr 26, 2016

I don't need to send CVs nowadays but I do work with agencies and direct clients from all over the world, sending invoices to around 20+ countries each year. You just have to convince them you're worth collaborating with. But do your homework first:
- Payment can be even more difficult to prise out of bad clients if they are thousands of kilometres away.
- Time differences can cause practical problems.
- Some payment methods won't be as easy or cheap.
- Exchange rate flu
... See more
I don't need to send CVs nowadays but I do work with agencies and direct clients from all over the world, sending invoices to around 20+ countries each year. You just have to convince them you're worth collaborating with. But do your homework first:
- Payment can be even more difficult to prise out of bad clients if they are thousands of kilometres away.
- Time differences can cause practical problems.
- Some payment methods won't be as easy or cheap.
- Exchange rate fluctuations can cause problems for either party.
- Cultural differences can create communication hiccups (formal vs informal etc).
- Unexpected hitches can arise e.g. payment stopped due to sanctions, money-laundering combat measures etc.

There are probably other potential problems but I rarely experience any at all. Even when sanctions prevented payment, the two clients involved finally found a way to pay. Most people are honest, and "foreigners" are no more (or less) likely to be crooks then your neighbours.
Collapse

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)
Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)  Identity Verified
Thailand
Local time: 23:18
English to Thai
+ ...
Sincere marketing movements Apr 27, 2016

Sameh Rabaaoui wrote:

Sheila says above that there is no specific rules. I would like to add that your career path (?) is going to be like mine: I started the jobs in voluntary mode. I translated many religious documents. I was happy I did those. Later, I got continual job orders.

Soonthon L.

Riccardo Schiaffino
Riccardo Schiaffino  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 10:18
Member (2003)
English to Italian
+ ...
Yes, no, no, yes Apr 27, 2016

Sameh Rabaaoui wrote:

1) Is it common to work with an agency that is not located in one's country?
2) Is there a set of regulations one must follow?
3) Is it obligatory to choose one field in order to start working?
4) Will I be required to use CAT tools?

1. Fairly common, so yes.
  2. No, but I do recommend that you personalize your messages: if you address your message to "Dear Sir", "Dear Sir or Madam", "Dear Client", or similar, your message will be treated as spam. Research your prospects, and send messages only if you can personalize them. See What happens to your marketing efforts... (if you don't take the time to research your prospects).
  3. No, but it is highly recommended, if you want to increase your chances of actually getting work.
  4. Depends on the customer, but most likely yes.

[Edited at 2016-04-27 01:14 GMT]

Mohd Hamzah
Mohd Hamzah  Identity Verified
Malaysia
Local time: 00:18
English to Malay
+ ...
Review your profile and compare with others Apr 27, 2016

Hi Sameh, hope you are doing well.

You are working on one of the most competitive language pair in the world which English to Arabic. Even one of the top translator when asked about his competitive rate, he said USD 0.08/w. Whereas in my language pair, the top and experienced translator rate is USD 0.18/w. The competitive rate in your pair indicates that they are so many EN>Arabic translators out there and when I reviewed their profile, Wow! So competitive.

When I read
... See more
Hi Sameh, hope you are doing well.

You are working on one of the most competitive language pair in the world which English to Arabic. Even one of the top translator when asked about his competitive rate, he said USD 0.08/w. Whereas in my language pair, the top and experienced translator rate is USD 0.18/w. The competitive rate in your pair indicates that they are so many EN>Arabic translators out there and when I reviewed their profile, Wow! So competitive.

When I read your profile, I believe you should revise it again and please throw out and rewrite your list of experiences, number of words, agencies and product or final customers that you have translated for them. Please put CAT tools that you have been working and at the same time attend any available webinars so that you are almost at par with your competitors. Do not forget to ask your previous clients to write something at your profile so that the potential clients are confident with your capability.

All the best.
Collapse

Sameh Rabaaoui
Sameh Rabaaoui
Tunisia
English to Arabic
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Onemore question Apr 27, 2016

Thanks everyone for answering,
Arabic to English is truly a very competitive language pair. I realized that after seeing how many people quote for English to Arabic jobs on this site .
As I said before, I only translated for associations here in Tunisia. Agencies seemed a smarter choice as direct clients my be reluctant in hiring me instead of more experienced translators.
One last question, I recently passed my master degree exams, but it may take a while to officially get the
... See more
Thanks everyone for answering,
Arabic to English is truly a very competitive language pair. I realized that after seeing how many people quote for English to Arabic jobs on this site .
As I said before, I only translated for associations here in Tunisia. Agencies seemed a smarter choice as direct clients my be reluctant in hiring me instead of more experienced translators.
One last question, I recently passed my master degree exams, but it may take a while to officially get the degree.
Is it advisable to mention that I have a translation master degree or should I wait? (It could take a year)
Collapse

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 18:18
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Sameh Apr 27, 2016

Sameh Rabaaoui wrote:
Is it common to work with an agency that is not located in one's country?

Yes, very common.

Is there a set of regulations one must follow?

That would depend on your country's tax laws. Since you live in a somewhat more repressive society (Tunisia), it would be wise for you to be circumspect about the types of jobs that you accept. Global translators' rights with regard to privacy and client confidentiality may be less applicable to you.

There's also the fact that I haven't yet chosen a certain niche. Is it obligatory to choose one field in order to start working?

No, first you must accept all kinds of work, until you become proficient in a niche (this happens mostly accidentally, unless you have specific training in a specific field).

And will I be required to use CAT tools?

Yes, you must at least be aware of CAT tools, have access to at least one (e.g. OmegaT), and be willing to use them.

==

Sameh Rabaaoui wrote:
Arabic to English is truly a very competitive language pair. I realized that after seeing how many people quote for English to Arabic jobs on this site.

Don't forget that agencies in some countries typically have higher or lower rates than others, and that many project managers secretly evaluate the likely quality of your translation work by the rate that you charge. If you charge an Egyptian rate instead of a USA rate, for a US client, the client might consider you a lesser translator, even if you're a very good translator. Adjust your rates according to the country of the agency.

Agencies seemed a smarter choice as direct clients my be reluctant in hiring me instead of more experienced translators.

Hmm, no, even direct clients hire on the basis of your presentation. If you make a good impression, and sell yourself right, then you can get work from direct clients just as easily as "experienced" translators.

I recently passed my master degree exams, but it may take a while to officially get the degree. Is it advisable to mention that I have a translation master degree or should I wait? (It could take a year)

You can't list a qualification that you don't have, but you can mention that you are busy completing it. It sounds like you're doing a 3-year master degree course and you're now starting your third year.

[Edited at 2016-04-27 13:32 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Sending my CV to agencies abroad

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »