Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
To what extent will a memoQ Translator Pro license help me to get a new customer base?
Thread poster: Fredrik Pettersson
Fredrik Pettersson
Fredrik Pettersson  Identity Verified
Hong Kong
Local time: 08:11
Member (2009)
English to Swedish
+ ...
Aug 28, 2015

To what extent will a memoQ Translator Pro license help me to get a new customer base?

I already own a SDL Trados Studio 2014 license since several years back, and am now considering to buy a memoQ Translator Pro license in order to increase my opportunities to get a new customer base in addition to the one I already have since several years for SDL Trados jobs.

Would it be worth the investment if I already own SDL Trados Studio if I want to secure higher flow of incomi
... See more

I already own a SDL Trados Studio 2014 license since several years back, and am now considering to buy a memoQ Translator Pro license in order to increase my opportunities to get a new customer base in addition to the one I already have since several years for SDL Trados jobs.

Would it be worth the investment if I already own SDL Trados Studio if I want to secure higher flow of incoming jobs? Or should I choose another CAT tool than memoQ with regard to my purpose?

Is it possible to make any priority list of CAT tools with respect to which one is used by most customers and where is it used, which is the second most used CAT tool and where is it used, etc.? And further specify in what industries/for what kind of documents/for what kind of contents is each CAT tool used?

So far after these first 5-6 years as a translator, nothing beats SDL Trados Studio when it comes to productivity and efficiency and simple enjoyment of using the CAT tool. But if I can get new customers and maybe even get direct customers by purchasing a license for a new CAT tool it would be well worth considering.
Collapse

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 10:11
English to Russian
I root for memoQ Aug 28, 2015

It is all about your habit and preference. There is no button to increase your client base in any CAT tool. I use both memoQ and Studio and prefer memoQ because it is more flexible for me.
- You cannot remove locked segments for external review with Studio. With memoQ, you can.
- You cannot filter and save all repetiotions as a single file with Studio. With memoQ, you can. This feature is extremly important for projects with many repetiotions. memoQ allows you to segregate reps and
... See more
It is all about your habit and preference. There is no button to increase your client base in any CAT tool. I use both memoQ and Studio and prefer memoQ because it is more flexible for me.
- You cannot remove locked segments for external review with Studio. With memoQ, you can.
- You cannot filter and save all repetiotions as a single file with Studio. With memoQ, you can. This feature is extremly important for projects with many repetiotions. memoQ allows you to segregate reps and non-reps in two files so that all reps are done by one translator to avoid different translation of same segments.
- You cannot even export multiple files for external review as a single file. With memoQ you can.
- Studio has longer response time. For example, if you need to confirm all segments at once so that they go to TM (not just add the 'Confirm' tick but also add translation to TM), it takes several minutes even for 600 segments. With memoQ it takes seconds. Plus, this process is not obvious in Studio. You need to know the 'secret' sequence of manipulations (you need to select all segments in a special way). In memoQ you just press Ctrl+Shift+A, Ctrl+Enter.
- Adding terms with memoQ takes a fraction of the time that is required for SDL to do the same. In memoQ you can't even see the term adding process unless you use slow motion replay.
- Studio automatically opens the termbase window (which is absolutely purposeless) and never automatically closes it (user has to close it by himself), while memoQ does not open anything at all.
- For termbase management purposes, you need to launch a different app (Multiterm). With memoQ you don't.
- memoQ treats SDL packages as one of its translatable formats and allows user to translate SDL packages without even having SDL installed on his/her PC — no chance for client to see the difference. I proved it many times.
- memoQ saves each new letter you type even if you don't use the 'Save' button. Studio autosave works when enabled, once per X minutes, and you always need to save your project when closing the app.
- With Studio you need to download and read the manual how to use Any TM plugin that 'will create an additional TM with the opposite language direction'. With memoQ you just add the TM you need without additional plugins or creating additional files.

So 'nothing beats Studio' is a real disputable statement.
I cannot figure out anything that works better with Studio in comparison with memoQ.

[Edited at 2015-08-28 21:37 GMT]
Collapse

Dan Lucas
Dan Lucas  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 07:11
Member (2014)
Japanese to English
For actual work... Aug 28, 2015

Stepan Konev wrote:
So 'nothing beats Studio' is a real disputable statement.
I cannot figure out anything that works better with Studio in comparison with memoQ.

I have no experience with memoQ so I can't comment on its usability or lack thereof. But I note that Emma Goldsmith of this parish had good things to say about memoQ in her comparative review.

And her review of Deja Vu X3 was also positive, for that matter. If you want to experiment with speech recognition, both of those two packages will work with Dragon Naturally Speaking far better than Studio 2014.

Precisely because I wanted to test speech recognition I recently downloaded a trial version of DVX3. I was quite impressed. The auto-text functions are immediately useful and seem to work better than those of standard Studio 2014.

I should point out that I don't have a Studio 2014 AutoSuggest license because I bridled at the extra cost, especially in view of the fact that Studio 2014 was already considerably more expensive than DVX3. Another thing I like in DVX3 is the ease of joining and splitting segments.

In terms of the UI, despite having used DVX3 for only a few hours I find the layout less confusing and more intuitive than Studio. I have been using Studio continuously for all my CAT needs for nearly a year now, so I should be used to it but the user interace has never gelled for me. Overall I find DVX3 a pleasant place to work for the kind of translation I do, which does not involve complex project management.

Moreover, DVX3 works well with Dragon Naturally Speaking. Finally, DVX3 is significantly cheaper than either memoQ or Studio.

However, to return to the original poster's question, no potential or actual client has ever asked me whether I have memoQ, or DVX3. Several have asked whether or not I use Trados.

So, based purely on my own experience, while you may find memoQ or DVX3 to be better pieces of software, I seriously doubt that either ownership of either will help you expand your customer base, except to the extent that it allows you to become a more efficient translator.

Regards
Dan

[Edited at 2015-08-28 19:01 GMT]

Emma Goldsmith
Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
On topic answers Aug 28, 2015

Since this thread isn't about comparing Studio and memoQ, I won't take time to refute your statements, Stepan (but may I suggest you revisit Studio, to check your facts).

Fredrik, only you can answer your question, really. Do you get asked to do translations in memoQ only? Do you see jobs advertised here or elsewhere that require memoQ in your language pair? If so, then that's the program you need.

And, incidentally, I agree with Stepan's and Dan's on-topic answers to
... See more
Since this thread isn't about comparing Studio and memoQ, I won't take time to refute your statements, Stepan (but may I suggest you revisit Studio, to check your facts).

Fredrik, only you can answer your question, really. Do you get asked to do translations in memoQ only? Do you see jobs advertised here or elsewhere that require memoQ in your language pair? If so, then that's the program you need.

And, incidentally, I agree with Stepan's and Dan's on-topic answers to your question.
Collapse

Stepan Konev
Russian Federation
English to Russian
I would appreciate Aug 28, 2015

Let me know if I am wrong.
How do I save filtered segments?
Say, I have 20 files and want to extract all repetitions from them for external review.

[Edited at 2015-08-28 21:36 GMT]

Kirsten Bodart
Kirsten Bodart  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Dutch to English
+ ...
I for one Aug 28, 2015

can't see how any CAT tool licence would actually increase your client base. Increase you work load maybe...

Up till now, I haven't met anyone who asked for a specific CAT tool purely because that was strictly necessary (= format not available in any other). Obviously this may have been the case even only 5 years ago, but now I presume everything is more or less compatible with everything else in some way or other, you only need to know how.

Usually those who request a
... See more
can't see how any CAT tool licence would actually increase your client base. Increase you work load maybe...

Up till now, I haven't met anyone who asked for a specific CAT tool purely because that was strictly necessary (= format not available in any other). Obviously this may have been the case even only 5 years ago, but now I presume everything is more or less compatible with everything else in some way or other, you only need to know how.

Usually those who request a tool just mean they want you to use one. And if they want you to work on a server, they'll hand you a temporary licence.

Otherwise having two tools is a waste of money, IMHO. Unless you want to check it out or you are an agency, obviously. If anything, you'll be quicker.
Collapse

Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
I find DVX's continued lack of glossary match highlighting very puzzling Aug 28, 2015

Dan Lucas wrote:

[…]

In terms of the UI, despite having used DVX3 for only a few hours I find the layout less confusing and more intuitive than Studio. I have been using Studio continuously for all my CAT needs for nearly a year now, so I should be used to it but the user interace has never gelled for me. Overall I find DVX3 a pleasant place to work for the kind of translation I do, which does not involve complex project management.

Moreover, DVX3 works well with Dragon Naturally Speaking. Finally, DVX3 is significantly cheaper than either memoQ or Studio.

[…]

Regards
Dan

[Edited at 2015-08-28 19:01 GMT]

I keep trying DVX2/DVX3, but really don’t like the fact that in DVX glossary matches are not highlighted (like in pretty much every other CAT tool). What do you think about this? Would you miss it/not miss it? I just don't think I could work without it anymore.

Michael

Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
??? Aug 28, 2015

Stepan Konev wrote:

Let me know if I am wrong.
How do I save filtered segments?
Say, I have 20 files and want to extract all repetitions from them for external review.

[Edited at 2015-08-28 21:36 GMT]

Why on earth would you want to extract all the repetitions in a document, or set of documents, "for external review"? I don't understand why anyone would want to do such a thing.

Michael

Fredrik Pettersson
Hong Kong
Member (2009)
English to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I already have a new customer who gives me jobs only for memoQ Aug 29, 2015

This customer has so far given me a memoQ license for each job, but it doesn't always work without a hitch with receiving this license (sending and receiving to the server after first having entered credentials in memoQ and had these verified by the server). And then this customer created a Studio package for me for a project, but it was some problems with that also. So I think it would be safest now to proceed with buying my own license instead, so when I receive new memoQ jobs from this custo... See more
This customer has so far given me a memoQ license for each job, but it doesn't always work without a hitch with receiving this license (sending and receiving to the server after first having entered credentials in memoQ and had these verified by the server). And then this customer created a Studio package for me for a project, but it was some problems with that also. So I think it would be safest now to proceed with buying my own license instead, so when I receive new memoQ jobs from this customer I can get started immediately without any problems before starting.

Actually, this customer sends a lot of jobs to me, and I tried one job and worked in the memoQ browser, which worked fairly well. But 100 % of their jobs are for use with memoQ only. It was only 1 PM that created a Studio package for me, all the others want that I use memoQ, either by using their license that they give to me or that I work in the memoQ browser.

My experience is that a few customers require specific CAT tools to be used. Such as Alchemy Catalyst, memoQ and SDL Trados Studio.
Collapse

Stepan Konev
Russian Federation
English to Russian
Translation process optimization Aug 29, 2015

If there is no solution, the best way is to say you don't need it...
There is a number of reasons in fact. Why on earth memoQ has this option (as many other features deemed unnecessary by SDL).
Simple example: I use studio 2015 or memoQ, my friend prefers Trados 2007. We want to share a number of files so that one of us translates repetitions, and the other one translates non-reps. (Should I also explain why we need this?)
memoQ allows me to make a Trados2007-compatible file an
... See more
If there is no solution, the best way is to say you don't need it...
There is a number of reasons in fact. Why on earth memoQ has this option (as many other features deemed unnecessary by SDL).
Simple example: I use studio 2015 or memoQ, my friend prefers Trados 2007. We want to share a number of files so that one of us translates repetitions, and the other one translates non-reps. (Should I also explain why we need this?)
memoQ allows me to make a Trados2007-compatible file and send it to my friend. Once he is done with his translation, I can import it back to memoQ.
What regards Studio... Let me guess: I need additional app/plugin? Again?..

[Edited at 2015-08-29 05:12 GMT]
Collapse

Dan Lucas
Dan Lucas  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2014)
Japanese to English
No highlighting Aug 29, 2015

Michael Beijer wrote:
I keep trying DVX2/DVX3, but really don’t like the fact that in DVX glossary matches are not highlighted (like in pretty much every other CAT tool). What do you think about this? Would you miss it/not miss it? I just don't think I could work without it anymore.

I hadn't noticed this until you pointed it out.

Yes, I would prefer to have highlighting than not have it. What I tend to do is glance at the AutoSearch - Portions pane if I want to see what's on offer.

Regards
Dan

Natalie
Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

SITE LOCALIZER
Hi Fredrik Aug 29, 2015

Fredrik Pettersson wrote:

From my own (huge) experience with a number of clients and different CAT tools I can say that it makes sense to buy new tools only in case a client of yours (new or old) requires you using a certain CAT format, AND you cannot handle it in Studio, AND you wish to keep this client.

Out of all my clients (over 60 or so), only two require using Wordfast (but WF files can be easily and even more effectively treated in Studio), and other two use Memoq on their server but they grant a license every time (so even in case I wouldn't own MQ I would be able to do this work). I prefer, however, saving files locally and work in Studio as always.

Buying MemoQ (or any other tool) in advance will not help you in gaining new clients in case you already own Studio and are proficient with it.

Natalia

Fredrik Pettersson
Hong Kong
Member (2009)
English to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I want to keep this client as they send a lot of jobs Aug 29, 2015

Thanks Natalie, your three reasons for buying a new CAT tool fit my situation: This client only works in memoQ; they sent a Studio package for a previous project but it didn't work for some reason with the TM, and even if I could have worked it out eventually having the CAT tool my client requires and that my client has the files ready for makes everything much smoother as I could begin each project immediately; and I definitely want to keep this client.

Besides, the advantages wi
... See more
Thanks Natalie, your three reasons for buying a new CAT tool fit my situation: This client only works in memoQ; they sent a Studio package for a previous project but it didn't work for some reason with the TM, and even if I could have worked it out eventually having the CAT tool my client requires and that my client has the files ready for makes everything much smoother as I could begin each project immediately; and I definitely want to keep this client.

Besides, the advantages with memoQ that Stephan and Emma have pointed out seem making it worthwhile to make this investment.
Collapse

Kevin Fulton
Kevin Fulton  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 03:11
German to English
Return on investment Aug 29, 2015

A carpenter doesn't own only one hammer, one saw, one screwdriver.

I use three CAT tools because I got tired of "CAT hopping," that is exporting from one format working with a more familiar tool, then reimporting to the initial format for checking purposes. This involved a certain time expenditure (time = money). I finally decided to learn to use each tool more or less proficiently. If you have a client that provides sufficient work requiring MemoQ, then it makes sense to buy the pr
... See more
A carpenter doesn't own only one hammer, one saw, one screwdriver.

I use three CAT tools because I got tired of "CAT hopping," that is exporting from one format working with a more familiar tool, then reimporting to the initial format for checking purposes. This involved a certain time expenditure (time = money). I finally decided to learn to use each tool more or less proficiently. If you have a client that provides sufficient work requiring MemoQ, then it makes sense to buy the program (requires yearly paid updates if you want to have the latest version) and become familiar with it. The time investment in learning the program is minimal compared to having to accept a license from the client, hoping that the server is functioning, or expecting/praying that packages intended for another program will open in Studio.

Agencies/other clients want translators who are easy to work with. It's in your best interest to be able to respond to their requirements with an adequate set of tools. Two of my largest clients have switched to MemoQ, and this may be part of a trend, so it may be wise to make the investment.
Collapse

Epameinondas Soufleros
Epameinondas Soufleros  Identity Verified
Greece
Local time: 09:11
Member (2008)
English to Greek
+ ...
No tool will get you more clients Aug 29, 2015

No CAT tool will get you more clients; what it can do is let you work with certain clients that require a particular tool because that's how their work flow is organised.

memoQ has gained much, much popularity in the last few years, and I've been getting more and more jobs that require the use of memoQ, many of them in the form of online, server-based memoQ projects.

I have only used Trados Studio for one year and I am not keen on using it again. As for DejaVu, I think
... See more
No CAT tool will get you more clients; what it can do is let you work with certain clients that require a particular tool because that's how their work flow is organised.

memoQ has gained much, much popularity in the last few years, and I've been getting more and more jobs that require the use of memoQ, many of them in the form of online, server-based memoQ projects.

I have only used Trados Studio for one year and I am not keen on using it again. As for DejaVu, I think that by now it is way behind the times and there is no indication that it will manage to catch up any time soon.
Collapse

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »