Triston Goodwin
Triston Goodwin  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 15:02
Spanish to English
+ ...
Email options Jul 4, 2015

Preston Decker wrote:

I switched to Wix as well this year, and I'm quite satisfied overall. My biggest complaint is that I don't think (though I would try calling them before subscribing to confirm this/try to haggle with them) that they provide free business email services, and I wound up re-upping with my former web hosting service as well just to maintain my business email for another year. But then again, if you're a bit more web saavy than I, I bet you could find a way around this.

Also be sure that you check their billing terms, as I seem to remember paying more than I expected because of the need to pay for their domain hosting services.

With those caveats, my site looks MUCH better than it did on my old site, so I'll continue to use Wix for the foreseeable future.

There are a couple of things that you can do to get around that. Personally, I have my hosting through another company (Hostgator) and all of my email accounts are free - which is great because I have like 15 of them. I think that you can set email up for free through something gmail or thunderbird, but I would have to double check.

Neil Ashby
Neil Ashby
Spain
Local time: 23:02
Spanish to English
+ ...
Taking more care with postings is good business! Jul 5, 2015

Luke Mersh wrote:

I would really like peoples input and there thoughts on which one works best.

many thanks

"PEOPLE'S input and THEIR thoughts..."

Plenty of potential clients look through forums and kudoz questions; as such I recommend taking more care before posting so that you can eliminate basic mistakes in your English.
What would you think if you were a potential client and saw those sort of errors? I know they are only simple errors but they speak volumes.

Another question mark for me is when I read "schooled in Spain" on your profile, I think to myself "but in which language?". Schooled in the Spanish system and in the Spanish language might not necessarily be a positive point for a 'native' English translator to mention in their profile. Maybe you should consider editing that part.

Finally, check that the Chartered Institute of Linguists have your correct details because I can't find you in the CIoL list of linguists. [TBH, I was very surprised to find that a member of the CIoL would make the type of mistakes given above and offer rates of 0.04 GBP/word for medical texts after paying so much to complete their exams; but horses for courses.]

I'm sure some will say I'm being very harsh, but I think in the long run very direct criticism might serve you well. Afterall, if this is the impression you've given me then potential clients may also take away the same first impression (which would not be good for you unless you only want to work with bottom-feeders).

Enough said.

I use Wix (or I started to design a website last year but I haven't got around to polishing it off and publishing it yet). I reckon it's a good bet for your needs - with free hosting and domain registration (but I think you have to pay for an email address (~€50/year) if you want one that matches the domain name), you can add countless applications and functions, there is also a plethora of templates to use, it can be as simple or as complicated as you want and you can always add to it later.
One thing I would say is that I now feel 'trapped' with Wix. If I wanted to change to another host I may well have to change the name of the site and redo everything....not good!

Good luck with the website, but it should be a breeze for you as you're a qualified web designer - it was a battle for me to produce something that I'm still not happy with 18 months later!!

Saludos,

[Edited at 2015-07-05 13:24 GMT]

Luke Mersh
Luke Mersh  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 22:02
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER
website Jul 5, 2015

@ Neil Ashby.

Thank you for your advice.
I will definitely look at those points you pointed out and make some adjustments.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Website for Translation- help needed

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »