Anyone have any experience with Freelancer.com??
Thread poster: Brechen MacRae
Brechen MacRae
Brechen MacRae  Identity Verified
Luxembourg
Local time: 13:34
French to English
Nov 25, 2014

Hi there,

I've recently been looking for ways to diversify the promotion of my services and I came across freelancer.com (or .ca). Does anyone have experience with this freelancer platform?

It seems to offer a lot of potential to find projects and clients. I was concerned, however, with lack of transparency about who is posting projects, limited information about projects upon bidding, and the percentage that the site takes from projects you find/complete via the site
... See more
Hi there,

I've recently been looking for ways to diversify the promotion of my services and I came across freelancer.com (or .ca). Does anyone have experience with this freelancer platform?

It seems to offer a lot of potential to find projects and clients. I was concerned, however, with lack of transparency about who is posting projects, limited information about projects upon bidding, and the percentage that the site takes from projects you find/complete via the site.

Any information would be really helpful.

Thanks!
Collapse

Yo-Ying
Yo-Ying  Identity Verified
Thailand
Local time: 19:34
English to Thai
I'm also a member there Nov 25, 2014

Hi,

I'm also a member there. But I never got a job there, maybe I'm not good at bidding. The only good thing is that there are many choice of different kinds of job we can do.

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 12:34
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
Waste of time, IMHO Nov 25, 2014

I don't know how much time I spent on there but it was too long. Unless you're prepared to work for EUR 5 per hour (less 10%) you aren't going to get any jobs there. Particularly if you aren't prepared to pay for their ridiculous tests to prove you speak your own language.

I'm glad I came to my senses in the end.

Roy Williams
Roy Williams  Identity Verified
Austria
Local time: 13:34
German to English
waste of time Nov 25, 2014

Sheila Wilson wrote:

I don't know how much time I spent on there but it was too long. Unless you're prepared to work for EUR 5 per hour (less 10%) you aren't going to get any jobs there. Particularly if you aren't prepared to pay for their ridiculous tests to prove you speak your own language.

I'm glad I came to my senses in the end.

Have to agree. Registered there a year and a half ago, nothing worth bidding on and and have not be contacted in all that time. And I refused to pay to take their "certification tests". IMO that's the Scam.

Annett Roessner
Annett Roessner  Identity Verified
Australia
Local time: 23:34
Member (2017)
English to German
Ditto on the other posters Nov 28, 2014

Hi Brechen

These sites promote Third World wages and are an utter waste of time.
Clients on there expect the world and want to pay next to nothing. Sadly, there seems to be enough desperate people to work under these conditions.

I naively signed up to two of these sites and wasted money on the tests offered in the belief that they would help getting half decent clients to start my freelance career.

The pay is just too low ($0.01 to 0.03 p.w.)and the
... See more
Hi Brechen

These sites promote Third World wages and are an utter waste of time.
Clients on there expect the world and want to pay next to nothing. Sadly, there seems to be enough desperate people to work under these conditions.

I naively signed up to two of these sites and wasted money on the tests offered in the belief that they would help getting half decent clients to start my freelance career.

The pay is just too low ($0.01 to 0.03 p.w.)and there is way too much competition. I don't even know why Germans would even work for rock bottom wages like that.
I decided to do a Certificate Course in Translations instead of wasting my time there and will start marketing myself properly upon completion of the course.

Having said that, I got one half decent paying client on Odesk who keeps sending me work and is a joy to work with. However, I haven't been able to attract any other clients even though I got nothing but 5 star reviews and scored well in all the tests. I believe this is because I'm too expensive.

I live in a high cost/high wages country and could never make a living with the wages on offer on these Freelancer sites. Luckily, I hold a well paid part-time job which gives me the opportunity to slowly grow my Freelance career. Failing this I would still be better off working as a check-out chick at Coles considering the minimum wage here is almost $18.00 per hour.

So please save your time and efforts and focus on other marketing strategies.

All the best.

Regards

Annett
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Anyone have any experience with Freelancer.com??

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »