many thanks again.

Luke Mersh
Luke Mersh  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 21:47
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER
other recommended software Dec 5, 2014

Apart from say wordfast anywhere, is there any other software I may need?

Tiffany Hardy
Tiffany Hardy  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 22:47
Spanish to English
payment times Dec 6, 2014

In my case, I have not dictated payment times but have accepted the conditions of the agencies I work with, who in almost all cases pay in 3 months time. This is considered abusive by many, but here in Spain it is quite the norm in business I can assure you, despite European regulations. This of course does not mean you need to accept these conditions, but be prepared for agencies not to work with you if you are fussy about payment times.

For me the most important thing isn't when
... See more
In my case, I have not dictated payment times but have accepted the conditions of the agencies I work with, who in almost all cases pay in 3 months time. This is considered abusive by many, but here in Spain it is quite the norm in business I can assure you, despite European regulations. This of course does not mean you need to accept these conditions, but be prepared for agencies not to work with you if you are fussy about payment times.

For me the most important thing isn't when they pay me, it's that they pay me when they say they will. Just make sure you get clarification on this and are happy with the arrangement before doing the work!
Collapse

Luke Mersh
United Kingdom
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER
payment times Dec 6, 2014

@Tiffany

I used to live and work in Spain and even now in my other business I am aware that some of my clients from Spain pay me right at the end of my deadline.

I agree with you that being inline with your agencies builds good relationship with them, but I am also aware that some do not pay, I am hoping that starting out with a 15 day payment will work alright and as things progress I can offer a longer payment term.

I hope I am not meet with many obstacle
... See more
@Tiffany

I used to live and work in Spain and even now in my other business I am aware that some of my clients from Spain pay me right at the end of my deadline.

I agree with you that being inline with your agencies builds good relationship with them, but I am also aware that some do not pay, I am hoping that starting out with a 15 day payment will work alright and as things progress I can offer a longer payment term.

I hope I am not meet with many obstacles when I start and things run smoothly.
Collapse

Luke Mersh
United Kingdom
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER
purchase Order numerbers-do I need them for small jobs? Dec 8, 2014

I have seen 'purchase order numbers' mentioned a lot on the forum, but do not really understand exactly what they are and if I need them.

As I mentioned at the beginning I am only taking on small projects so, will I need purchase order numbers, and how do I go about getting them.

many thanks

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
You need all the facts on e-paper Dec 8, 2014

Agencies sometimes issue a PO with all the job details: word-count, deadline etc. This can be good as it makes everything clear BUT make sure you check it carefully as changing the word-count, rate etc can be a big problem later.

OTOH, you or your client can also put all the info in emails. As long as it's all there, that's fine. As a newbie it's probably a good idea to ask for a PO, but not all clients will want to issue one.

The important thing is to be able to invoic
... See more
Agencies sometimes issue a PO with all the job details: word-count, deadline etc. This can be good as it makes everything clear BUT make sure you check it carefully as changing the word-count, rate etc can be a big problem later.

OTOH, you or your client can also put all the info in emails. As long as it's all there, that's fine. As a newbie it's probably a good idea to ask for a PO, but not all clients will want to issue one.

The important thing is to be able to invoice for your work. So waiting until after you've done the job is a seriously bad idea. I always make sure I have the client's full invoicing details (co. name, address, maybe tax no), plus we must have agreed on some or all of the following:
no of words
rate per word
total due
file format
delivery deadline
payment method
payment deadline
Collapse

Luke Mersh
United Kingdom
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER
PO and other details Dec 8, 2014

Thanks Sheila...

If the client doesnt issue a PO, what should I do??
About Invoicing, I assume that once the client has told me the word count ,etc, I send an invoice before the work is done??

I dont quite understand how I go about invoicing them before I finish the job.

please explain that a bit more.

many thanks

Sheila Wilson
Spain
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
More study needed, perhaps? Dec 8, 2014

Luke Mersh wrote:
If the client doesnt issue a PO, what should I do??

See my answer above.
About Invoicing, I assume that once the client has told me the word count ,etc, I send an invoice before the work is done??

Do you have any friend or family member who runs a business? It does sound as though you need more advice than can really be given in this forum. The CCI is a good place to go for advice and training.

You can't invoice until you've delivered the work.

Luke Mersh
United Kingdom
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER

Hi Sheila...
No I do not have any friends where I am.
I just live with my Mum in the countryside.

The reason for asking all these questions is because I have definitely decided to join Proz.com as a full paying member and need to know the issues surrounding accepting work and payment.

I have been reading other posts on here.

I will certainly look at CCI as well.

many thanks

Luke Mersh
United Kingdom
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER

HI Sheila...
I understand what you said about invoicing once I have delivered the work, but you said

"So waiting until after you've done the job is a seriously bad idea. I always make sure I have the client's full invoicing details"

This has me confused....

you say invoicing after the job is done is a bad idea, but you have also said that you can not invoice until the work has been delivered.

is this not a contradiction??

ple
... See more
HI Sheila...
I understand what you said about invoicing once I have delivered the work, but you said

"So waiting until after you've done the job is a seriously bad idea. I always make sure I have the client's full invoicing details"

This has me confused....

you say invoicing after the job is done is a bad idea, but you have also said that you can not invoice until the work has been delivered.

is this not a contradiction??

please clarify.

many thanks
Collapse

Tiffany Hardy
Tiffany Hardy  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 22:47
Spanish to English
Not everyone sends a PO Dec 8, 2014

I have a couple of agencies that send me POs every time and other agencies who never send them and direct clients who never send them. Sheila gives a good list of what needs to be crystal clear, regardless of if there is a PO. You also need to know what the deliverables are. Do they want an updated TM? Updated glossary? Bilingual file? etc.

Luke I'm not sure what you mean about some not paying. If the agency isn't going to pay you, it doesn't really matter if you have set your
... See more
I have a couple of agencies that send me POs every time and other agencies who never send them and direct clients who never send them. Sheila gives a good list of what needs to be crystal clear, regardless of if there is a PO. You also need to know what the deliverables are. Do they want an updated TM? Updated glossary? Bilingual file? etc.

Luke I'm not sure what you mean about some not paying. If the agency isn't going to pay you, it doesn't really matter if you have set your payment deadline to 15 days or 6 months. I would not accept work from an agency that doesn't have feedback online unless they come recommended by someone as a trustworthy source, or unless you are convinced of their legitimacy as a business after doing a little investigation online (i.e. no contact information other than a hotmail email is shady...a legitimate company usually has all of their business information listed online). If you can find absolutely no information on a company and question their legitimacy, I would require payment in advance or at least partial payment.

[Edited at 2014-12-08 20:02 GMT]
Collapse

Sheila Wilson
Spain
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
clarification Dec 8, 2014

Sheila Wilson wrote:
"So waiting until after you've done the job is a seriously bad idea. I always make sure I have the client's full invoicing details..."

should read
"So waiting for all the job/invoice details until after you've done the job is a seriously bad idea. I always make sure I have the client's full invoicing details"

Luke Mersh
United Kingdom
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER

@ Tiffany.

Thanks again for the info.

I am making note of all these details and info you good people are offering me.
Of course when I join officially beginning of 2015, if I receive any work at all, I will certainly check the blue board for the agencies rating.

Luke Mersh
United Kingdom
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER

Sheila Wilson wrote:

Sheila Wilson wrote:
"So waiting until after you've done the job is a seriously bad idea. I always make sure I have the client's full invoicing details..."

should read
"So waiting for all the job/invoice details until after you've done the job is a seriously bad idea. I always make sure I have the client's full invoicing details"

oh.. I understand now, I think.

I think that I may only have one job per weekend, so I guess once I have completed and delivered the work- just send out the invoice.

Luke Mersh
United Kingdom
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER
should I make my profile visible to everybody? Dec 11, 2014

Just one other silly question- should I have my profile visible for everybody or Just Members or Outsource?

many thanks

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Help needed on getting established

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »