Quoting customer
Thread poster: msastrec
msastrec
msastrec
English to Spanish
+ ...
Oct 21, 2014

Hello,
I have just received a translation project, and as this is my firt serious project, I would like to ask for some piece of advice.

It is a self-help book of 135 pages. English to Spanish , being Spanish my mother tongue. It is the first writer's book and I have received the project directly from her, not from publisher.
My doubst are:

1-Should I trust the offer?
2-How should I quote, per word, per page or per hour?
3-Are there any other
... See more
Hello,
I have just received a translation project, and as this is my firt serious project, I would like to ask for some piece of advice.

It is a self-help book of 135 pages. English to Spanish , being Spanish my mother tongue. It is the first writer's book and I have received the project directly from her, not from publisher.
My doubst are:

1-Should I trust the offer?
2-How should I quote, per word, per page or per hour?
3-Are there any other rights or extras I should consider too?

Thanks a lot for all your suggestions,
Mayte
Collapse

philgoddard
philgoddard
United States
German to English
+ ...
In my experience Oct 21, 2014

When books come direct from the author, they're often horrified at the cost and decide they can't afford it. They'd been expecting it to cost a few hundred euro, and it works out at a few thousand.

You should charge by source wordcount in my opinion.

Should you trust the offer? Well, it's standard practice to ask for part payment before you start - maybe 50% upfront and 50% on completion.

I wouldn't normally bother with trying to get royalties unless the a
... See more
When books come direct from the author, they're often horrified at the cost and decide they can't afford it. They'd been expecting it to cost a few hundred euro, and it works out at a few thousand.

You should charge by source wordcount in my opinion.

Should you trust the offer? Well, it's standard practice to ask for part payment before you start - maybe 50% upfront and 50% on completion.

I wouldn't normally bother with trying to get royalties unless the author was someone like J.K. Rowling.

Hope you get the job - let us know how you get on.
Collapse

Jeff Whittaker
Jeff Whittaker  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 19:31
Member (2002)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Providing a quote. Oct 21, 2014

I have found that when dealing with private clients who have little experience with translation, there is often a huge gap between what they think the translation will cost and the actual cost.

For example, based on your page count and the average number of 300 words per page, I would charge a flat rate of no less than 4,000 euros (perhaps granting a small discount in exchange for more time to translate). However, the author is probably expecting to pay less than 500 euros, if that.
... See more
I have found that when dealing with private clients who have little experience with translation, there is often a huge gap between what they think the translation will cost and the actual cost.

For example, based on your page count and the average number of 300 words per page, I would charge a flat rate of no less than 4,000 euros (perhaps granting a small discount in exchange for more time to translate). However, the author is probably expecting to pay less than 500 euros, if that.

When it comes to books for private clients, it's often more profitable and easier to just write your own book.
Collapse

Victor Westmann (X)
Victor Westmann (X)
Brazil
Local time: 20:31
English to Portuguese
+ ...
I'm new to translation too Oct 21, 2014

I'm new to paid translation! hehe. Let me explain. I already contribute to some open source software projects I use and love.

But I then realized I was able to also work on translation of IT area since I am graduated in it and have 20+ years of experience in this field.

My suggestions are for you to charge your work based on the total amount of words translated. If you are not so sure if your customer is trustable and that it'll pay you correctly make some research for
... See more
I'm new to paid translation! hehe. Let me explain. I already contribute to some open source software projects I use and love.

But I then realized I was able to also work on translation of IT area since I am graduated in it and have 20+ years of experience in this field.

My suggestions are for you to charge your work based on the total amount of words translated. If you are not so sure if your customer is trustable and that it'll pay you correctly make some research for the customer name and try to also check references here in the Proz website for good references.

About the extras I'm not so sure. Do you feel you'll handle the deadlines once you commit yourself to them? This question I'll leave it to our other friends here at the forum to answer.

All the best and good luck!

[Edited at 2014-10-22 00:28 GMT]
Collapse

msastrec
msastrec
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Quoting customer Oct 22, 2014

Thanks a lot for all your remarks. They have been really useful. I will let you know indeed if I ever get the job!.

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 00:31
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
Perhaps more importantly Oct 30, 2014

msastrec wrote:
Thanks a lot for all your remarks. They have been really useful. I will let you know indeed if I ever get the job!.

Tell us if you ever get any payment for your work! Good luck!

msastrec
msastrec
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Quoting customer Oct 30, 2014

Hi there,
Well you all were right. Once I sent the customer a quoting, she replied saying..."I am not in a hurry with the translation...I will see in the future and let you know then." In other words, not interested because any price, no matter how much it is, looks too much for someone new in translation services.
I will have to wait for another opportunity, if it ever comes...
Thanks again to all of you
... See more
Hi there,
Well you all were right. Once I sent the customer a quoting, she replied saying..."I am not in a hurry with the translation...I will see in the future and let you know then." In other words, not interested because any price, no matter how much it is, looks too much for someone new in translation services.
I will have to wait for another opportunity, if it ever comes...
Thanks again to all of you
Mayte
Collapse

Frankie JB
Frankie JB
France
English to French
+ ...
every opportunity to educate clients should be seized Nov 1, 2014

3-Are there any other rights or extras I should consider too?

When dealing with direct clients who know little or nothing about the translation industry and more specifically about going rates (which they will probably underestimate by an order of magnitude), it can be wise to add a couple of lines to your quote, if only because each opportunity to educate clients should be seized, and of course because it can help you get the contract too!

It can be simply a snippet along the lines of:

Nota bene: Experience tends to show that there's a discrepancy in perception between supply and demand in the translation industry. It happens indeed that clients are commonly suprised at the cost of translation because they misjudge what it entails. In this respect, it's important to understand that translating takes a lot of time and research, even for someone who has made it their profession.

Or it can be more than that, for example a longer paragraph explaining the complexities of translation in greater or lesser degrees of detail to raise their awareness, inserted on the second page.

[Edited at 2014-11-01 22:23 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Quoting customer

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »