Giovanna Alessandra Meloni
Giovanna Alessandra Meloni  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 20:00
Spanish to Italian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
So sorry to hear this Oct 3, 2014

RIP Nicole, condolences to her family and friends.

Jack Doughty
Jack Doughty  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 19:00
Russian to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Very sorry to hear this Oct 3, 2014

Like many others, I did not know Nicole apart from reading her posts in forums, but I greatly admired her, not only for her opinions but for her strong personality and professional efficiency.
I shall be among many who will miss her.

Daniela Zambrini
Daniela Zambrini  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
there is little I can add Oct 3, 2014

There is little I can add to previous comments.
I never had the pleasure of meeting Nicole in person, but I always enjoyed reading her contributions in forum discussions.
Professional, witty, sharp. In essence, a great mind.
My condolences to her family and friends.
D.

Jared Tabor
Jared Tabor
Local time: 15:00
SITE STAFF
Very sad to hear this Oct 3, 2014

Nicole was an excellent contributor, here and elsewhere. She helped a lot of people, and I always enjoyed seeing her add her take on things to a discussion. She will be missed.

Jared and the rest of the ProZ.com team

Vera Wilson
Vera Wilson  Identity Verified
France
Member (2006)
English to German
+ ...
Such sad news Oct 3, 2014

She was one of the big ones, the same league as Hans G. Liepert.
Thanks Nicole, for lots of clever contributions.

My sincere condolences to her family.

Enrique Cavalitto
Enrique Cavalitto  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 15:00
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
Sincere condolences Oct 3, 2014

These are very sad news. Our community has lost a very valued member. She will be missed.
Enrique

Uta Kappler
Uta Kappler
United States
Local time: 12:00
Member (2008)
English to German
+ ...

I do not really have words to express my sadness about this loss. Nicole was a truly amazing person with a lot of passion, always true to herself. I will really miss her.

My sincere condolences to her family and friends.

Uta

Kim Metzger
Kim Metzger  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 12:00
German to English
Nicole was a fighter Oct 3, 2014

She fought for good writing, good pay for fellow wordsmiths and much more. She also stood up for her adopted homeland, the land of Mark Twain, Herman Melville, Henry James, Ezra Pound, Walt Whitman, William Faulkner.
And she went to bat for me
... See more
She fought for good writing, good pay for fellow wordsmiths and much more. She also stood up for her adopted homeland, the land of Mark Twain, Herman Melville, Henry James, Ezra Pound, Walt Whitman, William Faulkner.
And she went to bat for me too. http://www.proz.com/forum/prozcom_suggestions/181780-possibility_of_multiple_wwas_for_excellent_translators.html

Good-bye, Nicole.

[Edited at 2014-10-03 14:21 GMT]
Collapse

Oliver_F
Oliver_F  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...

the sadest news I had to read for quite a while. I was wondering, why I did not see any posts from her for a while, intended to have a look at her profile this morning and was absolutely shocked. She'll be missed.

Stephen Sadie
Stephen Sadie  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
+ ...
Nicole Oct 3, 2014

was a brilliant translator and astute businesswoman whose comments and contributions were always fitting and polite and a great help to our community as a whole. I will miss her.

All the very best to her loved ones in their hour of bereavement.

Stephen

[Edited at 2014-10-03 15:28 GMT]

Hilary Davies Shelby
Hilary Davies Shelby
United States
Local time: 13:00
German to English
+ ...
Shocked Oct 3, 2014

Shocked to hear this news today. You will be missed, Nicole - I'll remember you as a no-nonsense translation warrior. Definitely someone to look up to!

Lancashireman
Lancashireman  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 19:00
German to English
RIP Nicole Schnell Oct 3, 2014

Sad news indeed. We had some entertaining debates over the respective merits of AE and BE vocabulary, orthography and punctuation, but we had fun:
http://www.proz.com/forum/off_topic/203657-british_offended_by_americanisms-page3.html#1776421
Here’s one invitation I wish I had tak
... See more
Sad news indeed. We had some entertaining debates over the respective merits of AE and BE vocabulary, orthography and punctuation, but we had fun:
http://www.proz.com/forum/off_topic/203657-british_offended_by_americanisms-page3.html#1776421
Here’s one invitation I wish I had taken up: http://www.proz.com/forum/prozcom_suggestions/227485-should_“native_language”_claims_be_verified-page83.html#1990456
Collapse

Cristina Bufi Poecksteiner, M.A.
Cristina Bufi Poecksteiner, M.A.  Identity Verified
Austria
German to Italian
+ ...
RIP Nicole Schnell Oct 4, 2014

Sad news indeed. Hard to believe.
Nicole was one of the few professionals making a constructive, competent and interesting contribution to Proz and Kudoz. Reading it was fun, too:
"Some comments...",http://www.proz.com/forum/off_topic/203657-british_offended_by_americanisms-page3.html#1776313

Lori Cirefice
Lori Cirefice  Identity Verified
France
French to English
Truly sad news Oct 4, 2014

My heart goes out to her family and friends, really sorry to hear about this terrible loss. She will be missed here on Proz.

Sebastian Witte
Sebastian Witte  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2004)
English to German
+ ...
Skills, knowledge, professionalism, personality, helpfulness Oct 4, 2014

I was in touch with her only for a few minutes regarding a scammer that was and I fear still is targeting me and she had warned me about his (I guess they are male) covering letter and stolen CV attempting to impersonate me (a poor attempt indeed I can say, as she and a few others have shown me the fake applications).

Other than that, I really only knew her from the forums where she was a giant, a few characteristics of whom I have tried to enumerate above.

Astrid once,
... See more
I was in touch with her only for a few minutes regarding a scammer that was and I fear still is targeting me and she had warned me about his (I guess they are male) covering letter and stolen CV attempting to impersonate me (a poor attempt indeed I can say, as she and a few others have shown me the fake applications).

Other than that, I really only knew her from the forums where she was a giant, a few characteristics of whom I have tried to enumerate above.

Astrid once, however, was in a scrape with Word not opening, having to deliver within an hour, and Nicole actually did it and told her what her to do in a number of her usual "Why make many words when the same thing can be said efficiently in just a few words" style steps. What can I say? Astrid did meet her deadline after that.

I call that helpful, focused and efficient.

Rest in peace, dear Nicole. You were one of the good ones indeed. Your spirit is guaranteed to live on.

[Edited at 2014-10-04 16:05 GMT]
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5] >

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

RIP Nicole Schnell

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »