grace
grace  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 02:25
English to Polish
+ ...
Jun 25, 2014

Hi,

What is the best way of translating/editing .xml files? I can view the file in Note Pad, I can extract the text and paste it into Word but the client insists that the file is translated in .xml format. Do I need special software for this? I would be grateful for any information.

Many thanks in advance, Grace

Kelly Gill
Kelly Gill
Italy
Local time: 03:25
Member (2008)
Italian to English
open in word Jun 26, 2014

In the past I have done this:
open the xml file in word
translate (using WF classic)
save

sometimes the layout gets messed up when it is saved

This can be easily fixed using XML Notepad 2007
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=7973

If you aren't using a CAT tool you can edit the document directl
... See more
In the past I have done this:
open the xml file in word
translate (using WF classic)
save

sometimes the layout gets messed up when it is saved

This can be easily fixed using XML Notepad 2007
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=7973

If you aren't using a CAT tool you can edit the document directly in XML Notepad 2007
Collapse

grace
grace  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English to Polish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you! Jun 26, 2014

Thank you for your reply, Kelly!
Best regards, Grace

Lehti
Lehti
Italy
Local time: 03:25
English to Italian
+ ...
notepad++ Jul 2, 2014

I tried XML Notepad. It was quite fun to mess around with... for about 5 minutes. It's not a bad program by any means, but it just didn't do for me, since I had to open every element of the data structure that I wanted to translate and then work on that string.
Maybe some people are comfortable with it, but I wasn't able to find it really worth my time for what I have to do with XML files.

I think that any text editor with code
... See more
I tried XML Notepad. It was quite fun to mess around with... for about 5 minutes. It's not a bad program by any means, but it just didn't do for me, since I had to open every element of the data structure that I wanted to translate and then work on that string.
Maybe some people are comfortable with it, but I wasn't able to find it really worth my time for what I have to do with XML files.

I think that any text editor with code highlight will do for you. I'm assuming that you're on a Windows machine; in this case, try Notepad++: it's lightweight, intuitive, has a lot of interesting features (most of which you're most likely not going to use) and can open large files (Notepad has issues with that, sometimes freezing and other crashing).
If you're planning on moving to Linux (which I wouldn't recommend unless you know exactly what you're doing and have the time to acquaint with the new OS) I'd suggest gEdit, the standard text editor for the Gnome Desktop Environment, or Kate, which doesn't like Gnome that much and works best with KDE.
Collapse

grace
grace  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English to Polish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you! Jul 2, 2014

Thank you very much for your reply!

Best regards, Grace

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Handling .xml files

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »