What to ask the client if you work with INDD files
Thread poster: Mario Chavez (X)
Mario Chavez (X)
Mario Chavez (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:03
English to Spanish
+ ...
May 4, 2017

Recent emails from a very trusted client (5 years) contained job requests to do a Spanish translation and perform typesetting of said translation in inDesign CS6. However, the emails only contained the INDD file and an English PDF file for guidance.

Since my client handles translation, interpreting and ancillary services, it's understandable that sometimes they omit sending an InDesign package. What is that, you might ask? Simply put:

1) The INDD file (InDesign CS5.5, C
... See more
Recent emails from a very trusted client (5 years) contained job requests to do a Spanish translation and perform typesetting of said translation in inDesign CS6. However, the emails only contained the INDD file and an English PDF file for guidance.

Since my client handles translation, interpreting and ancillary services, it's understandable that sometimes they omit sending an InDesign package. What is that, you might ask? Simply put:

1) The INDD file (InDesign CS5.5, CS6, CC, etc.) in Mac or Windows environment
2) The links (graphic files linked to the INDD file
3) The fonts or typefaces for the INDD file

Notice that Adobe InDesign does not embed typefaces on a document; so, in case of a missing font, you have to attach it to the document either manually (for that specific document) or generally (by installing it on your system).

A better practice I discovered over the years is not to install every font on your system. Fonts require RAM memory to display, and you can easily end up with hundreds of fonts that automatically load every time you turn on your computer. An easier solution is to use a font manager (software) like Suitcase Fusion 5 (for Windows and Mac), which helps you organize fonts in folders.

When a client is using an InDesign version I don't have (CS4 or CC 2017, for instance) I always ask for the IDML exchange file (exported from inside InDesign). That way I can open the IDML file along with the fonts and links without loss.

Finally, it's best practice to create a package once you are done with typesetting your translation (or someone else's):

1) Go to File > Package in InDesign and follow the prompts.
3) The Package command will prepare a subfolder containing the INDD file and the links and fonts subfolders.
3) Export a PDF file and include it in the package subfolder.
4) Zip the package subfolder and send it to your client.

If you have any questions or comments, feel free to post them below.
Collapse

Santino Mattia

Joakim Braun
Joakim Braun  Identity Verified
Sweden
Local time: 03:03
German to Swedish
+ ...
Also May 6, 2017

Delete any commercial fonts included in the package from your system after finishing the work.

(Actually, you shouldn't need to install any packaged fonts, since Indesign does that on the fly.)

Mario Chavez (X)
Mario Chavez (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:03
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Yes...and no May 6, 2017

Joakim Braun wrote:

Delete any commercial fonts included in the package from your system after finishing the work.

(Actually, you shouldn't need to install any packaged fonts, since Indesign does that on the fly.)

In the case of repeat clients who prepare InDesign packages properly, I only need a set of the same fonts kept in subfolders. Why? It's practical because the same client may request an update of a job delivered 2 years ago (it happens quite often).

It's easier for me to managed my archived fonts (with a tool like Suitcase Fusion, as I said before). Deleting fonts I no longer need can be time consuming.

Let's not forget that many of those commercial fonts are my property because I have acquired them. I'll be happy to delete Comic Sans, however.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What to ask the client if you work with INDD files

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »