Thread poster: Ivan Niu
Fargoer
Fargoer
Canada
Local time: 15:46
English to Chinese
Phil 这个真的很妙 Feb 6, 2016

Phil Hand wrote:

所以说,后面的odd是指odd job吗?这整段有点怪,因为没有 moonlight job 这一说,moonlighting 是动词才对。反正既然是这个意思,我觉得可以考虑用小工或零工来重现英文的文字游戏。
说它是小工其实是小看它了。人家称之为零工,但它的价值远大于零。

奇怪,我们叫“炒更”,他们却叫“零”活儿。白干?!

[修改时间: 2016-02-06 22:20 GMT]

Jinhang Wang
Jinhang Wang  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 05:46
English to Chinese
+ ...
Another way of translating that sentence which, hopefully, could solve the problem of 竟 Feb 13, 2016

coolfool wrote:

On what grounds does 竟, or 居然, derive from? Perhaps you guys, I figure, make them up, pure and simple, from the thin air?

[修改时间: 2016-01-29 02:30 GMT]

After rethinking, I propose a different translation of that sentence, which, in my opinion, is more faithful to the original sentence in not only semantics, but also syntax: 把像那样的一个工作叫奇零工是奇怪的。 In this version, the character 奇 appears twice, but means differently, hence constituting a pun, so to speak.

[Edited at 2016-02-13 13:16 GMT]

edgarzhuochen
edgarzhuochen
China
Local time: 05:46
English to Chinese
有没有上下文呢? Feb 27, 2016

语境还是很重要的。

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

When translating a pun

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »