wherestip
wherestip  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 20:02
Chinese to English
+ ...
If you don't like it Oct 27, 2014

coolfool wrote:

As two negatives make a positive, two wrongs, therefore, make a right?

wherestip wrote:

I vaguely remember the rare unserious usage of "真是傻瓜一枚" ... in Beijing that is, usually among friends.

And I can guarantee that the "awareness" didn't come from the Internet.

[Edited at 2014-10-27 00:42 GMT]

wherestip wrote:

If 枚 was indeed in use to refer to a person back then, I guess you can say that it wasn't very complimentary.

[Edited at 2014-10-27 02:09 GMT]

... don't use it. IMO, it's as simple as that. Personally, I see nothing terribly "wrong" with the way the original poster used it in his/her posting.

~*~*~*~*

BTW, among the dictionary explanations for “枚” that you listed ...
>>> 08. 量词。相当于个、只

[Edited at 2014-10-27 23:10 GMT]

wherestip
United States
Chinese to English
+ ...
ahem .... Oct 27, 2014

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Two_wrongs_make_a_right

wherestip
United States
Chinese to English
+ ...
I hope 3 wrongs don't make it wrong again Oct 27, 2014

光棍一枚
傻瓜一枚
饭桶一枚

Jing Li
Jing Li  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 09:02
English to Chinese
是我孤陋寡闻了 Oct 27, 2014

wherestip wrote:

I vaguely remember the rare usage of "真是傻瓜一枚" - in Beijing that is - usually not so serious among friends.

And I can guarantee that my "awareness" didn't come from the Internet.

[Edited at 2014-10-27 12:08 GMT]

还真是没有印象在印刷物上见过这种用法,也不常听人这么说……

BTW,我是中了那篇帖子的毒了么,怎么越看越觉得不论是“傻瓜一枚”、“饭桶一枚”或是“光棍一枚”,都带有或宠溺或自嘲的玩笑意味,反而还觉得挺可爱的

wherestip
United States
Chinese to English
+ ...
自谦 Oct 27, 2014

ziptip wrote:

BTW,我是中了那篇帖子的毒了么,怎么越看越觉得不论是“傻瓜一枚”、“饭桶一枚”或是“光棍一枚”,都带有或宠溺或自嘲的玩笑意味,反而还觉得挺可爱的

谁说不是呢? 人家自我介绍用个自谦的量词,有啥不好?

我觉得与火星文那种东西是两回事。

coolfool
coolfool
China
Chinese to English
By all means Oct 28, 2014

Under no circumstances would I stand the way of anyone’s using 光棍一枚, 傻瓜一枚, 饭桶一枚, or the ones of that ilk, mark my words, or anyone’s creating a new meaning or two at whim. Quite the contrary, I’ll most probably be among the first to slap those pioneers on the back, not stab them white in red out, when the usage prevails sometime somewhere somehow.

Disagreeing to agree, we may as well agree to disagree for the time being.

Wondering if I’m
... See more
Under no circumstances would I stand the way of anyone’s using 光棍一枚, 傻瓜一枚, 饭桶一枚, or the ones of that ilk, mark my words, or anyone’s creating a new meaning or two at whim. Quite the contrary, I’ll most probably be among the first to slap those pioneers on the back, not stab them white in red out, when the usage prevails sometime somewhere somehow.

Disagreeing to agree, we may as well agree to disagree for the time being.

Wondering if I’m allowed to consult you, can 枚 replace 个, as a quantifier, wherever it occurs?

Three, or even more, cobblers with their wits combined will equal the mind like emperor, king, general, minister, talent, beauty, tycoon, mogul, or don? Fat chance, in my view.

[Edited at 2014-10-28 07:20 GMT]
Collapse

wherestip
United States
Chinese to English
+ ...
Breathe ... Oct 28, 2014

coolfool wrote:

Three, or even more, cobblers with their wits combined will equal the mind like emperor, king, general, minister, talent, beauty, tycoon, mogul, or don? Fat chance, in my view.

Take it easy, my good man.

[Edited at 2014-10-29 01:37 GMT]

jyuan_us
jyuan_us  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 21:02
Member (2005)
English to Chinese
+ ...
I'm neutral on this one but I kind of skewed to coolfool's point Oct 28, 2014

I used this kind of words often but I also noticed that an sheer imitation of the use of these words by others without considering what the post is about, or the purpose of the post, sometimes 讓人起雞皮疙瘩。

jyuan_us
United States
Member (2005)
English to Chinese
+ ...
不能用國語的思維去理解它 Oct 28, 2014

ziptip wrote:

jyuan_us wrote:

條女

第一次听说。为什么会用这个量词呢,是从“身材苗条的女子”而来的么?:)

把粵語當成外語,就不用糾結了,荷荷。

wherestip
United States
Chinese to English
+ ...
Yes. Yet ... Oct 28, 2014

jyuan_us wrote:

I used this kind of words often but I also noticed that an sheer imitation of the use of these words by others without considering what the post is about, or the purpose of the post, sometimes 讓人起雞皮疙瘩。

jyuan,

That may be. People use words they learn from social media and use them indiscriminately, without bothering to find out what they mean, or their history or origin. I agree it's unfortunate.

But all I said was that I seem to remember hearing these phrases while living in Beijing, which was more than 3 to 4 decades ago; and that I don't think the OP used the character 枚 in his/her posting terribly wrong. I don't think it's anything to get all bent out of shape over.

[Edited at 2014-10-29 16:11 GMT]

jyuan_us
United States
Member (2005)
English to Chinese
+ ...
There is nothing wrong with the OP Oct 28, 2014

wherestip wrote:

jyuan_us wrote:

jyuan,

That may be. People use words they learn from the Internet and use them indiscriminately without bothering to find out what they mean, not to mention their history or their origin. I agree it's unfortunate.

But all I said was that I seem to remember I've heard these phrases 3 to 4 decades ago. And I don't think the OP used the character 枚 in his/her post wrong. I don't think it's anything worth getting all worked up about.

[Edited at 2014-10-28 18:53 GMT]

I think CoolFool just expressed his or her immediate response to it, 我也有類似感覺,感到這個幽默不太上檔次。

wherestip
United States
Chinese to English
+ ...
Personally Oct 28, 2014

I thought nothing of it. But I did find this remark somewhat objectionable, not only in attitude, but also logic, language, and rhetoric ...

coolfool wrote:

As two negatives make a positive, two wrongs, therefore, make a right?

[Edited at 2014-10-29 14:13 GMT]

wherestip
United States
Chinese to English
+ ...
Anyway ... Oct 28, 2014

I frankly don't give a hoot about the chaos in today's Chinese language. Besides, for what it's worth, if the occasion arose and called for me to introduce myself as "退休工程师一(*)", I would have also used "个"; "枚" would never have even crossed my mind or been an option.

So excuse me for ever opening my mouth on this whole silly subject to start with.

[Edited at 2014-10-29 16:15 GMT]

Jing Li
Jing Li  Identity Verified
China
English to Chinese
事实上我一直是这么觉得的 Oct 28, 2014

jyuan_us wrote:

把粵語當成外語,就不用糾結了,荷荷。

写的能看懂三分之一,说的几乎一句也听不懂,可不就是外语么~~

brucekuang
brucekuang
Canada
Chinese to English
+ ...
语言是发展的 Oct 29, 2014

语言在不断的发展中,意思也不断的变化。

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

新人报道

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »