Peipei Xiang  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 11:36
Chinese to English
+ ...
Thank you, wherestip. Feb 24, 2014

wherestip wrote:

peipeixiang wrote:

我觉得任何工作,只要不是自己到了特别绝望的地步,钱多一些或少一些也没太大差别的时候,是要顶住压力寻找自己心里最向往的不会有遗憾的事情去做。只是很多时候,大部分人有更现实的问题考虑,为了生存,只好勉为其难以量取胜了吧,就像中国的劳动密集型产业一样。

今天终于下定决心加入了proz会员,要加油啦。还望前辈多多指教。

ysun wrote:

Ying Wang wrote:

我们也不能责备中文翻译群体把价位拉低,因为他们这样定价的目的不是为了恶性竞争。国际化的市场一定会把翻译价格总体拉低,而不可能逆向地向高价位看齐。这对于我们这些生活在北美的翻译造成了很大的压力。所以,我觉得北美的翻译应该尽可能挖掘本地市场,并且使服务项目多样化,来创造多渠道收入。

你说的有一定道理。但我认为,价位拉低,恶性竞争也是一个重要因素。当然,我们还是可以顶住这种压力的。多年来,当客户拿别人的低价来压我时,我从未让过步。

我倒不是责备别人。我的意思是中文翻译应该提高“阶级觉悟”。

Welcome to the forum, peipei. You're now more of a member than I am. I've been here almost 8 years now, and never paid a dime.

... Except for getting my identity verified of course; but that was like a measly $5.

I clicked on some of you TED translations the other day. IMO, they were quite well done.

How do you do it then? I plan to make freelance translating my full-time job, so I thought I should be more committed. But as for how to go from here, I'm still trying to figure out. If you have any suggestions, I would love to hear about them.

Ying Wang
Ying Wang  Identity Verified
United States
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Welcome Feb 24, 2014

peipeixiang wrote:

I am glad for your decision. I am sure you will find the membership fee worthwhile. Just take some time to explore your benefits. Do I sound like a ProZ staff?

wherestip
wherestip  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 10:36
Chinese to English
+ ...
Freelance Translating Feb 24, 2014

peipeixiang wrote:

How do you do it then? I plan to make freelance translating my full-time job, so I thought I should be more committed. But as for how to go from here, I'm still trying to figure out. If you have any suggestions, I would love to hear about them.

Oh, I'm just here to chat, not looking for translation work.

Although I must say real serious agencies have ways of finding you. I responded to a request that was only sent to those located in Austin, and ended up getting paid $140 for 2 hours of interpreting - didn't have to travel far either; it was practically at my doorstep, on my side of town.

[Edited at 2014-02-24 17:22 GMT]

Ying Wang
Ying Wang  Identity Verified
United States
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Simple and true Feb 24, 2014

wherestip wrote:

Steve is always the first one to welcome a newcomer, the first one to answer a question and the first one to congrats on other's success, big or small. He keeps doing all of these without thinking of any benefits from it. I really appreciate your efforts, Steve!

Peipei Xiang
United States
Chinese to English
+ ...
Indeed. Feb 24, 2014

Ying Wang wrote:

peipeixiang wrote:

I am glad for your decision. I am sure you will find the membership fee worthwhile. Just take some time to explore your benefits. Do I sound like a ProZ staff?

Thanks, Ying. There is certainly a lot for me to learn! And I hope that I learn them before I starve.

Peipei Xiang
United States
Chinese to English
+ ...
Very cool! Feb 24, 2014

wherestip wrote:

Although I must say real serious agencies have ways of finding you. I responded to a request that was only sent to those located in Austin, and ended up getting paid $140 for 2 hours of interpreting - didn't have to travel far either; it was practically at my doorstep, on my side of town.

[Edited at 2014-02-24 17:22 GMT]

I'm sure that these are the best and it was only because you had the exact expertise they were looking for!

wherestip
wherestip  Identity Verified
United States
Chinese to English
+ ...
近水楼台 Feb 24, 2014

peipeixiang wrote:

I'm sure that these are the best and it was only because you had the exact expertise they were looking for!

It was most likely mere happenstance. It was probably more economical for the agency to find someone locally to do the job even if the rate was marginally higher. If they had to fly someone in and put the person up in a hotel for 2 hours of work, their profit margin would have gone straight down the drain.

This particular agency has a global network of interpreters. But obviously their PMs still visit ProZ.com.

My advice to you is try to get court certified or medically certified. Those are two areas where they frequently need interpreters.

Peipei Xiang
United States
Chinese to English
+ ...
Thanks. Feb 25, 2014

wherestip wrote:

It was most likely mere happenstance. It was probably more economical for the agency to find someone locally to do the job even if the rate was marginally higher. If they had to fly someone in and put the person up in a hotel for 2 hours of work, their profit margin would have gone straight down the drain.

This particular agency has a global network of interpreters. But obviously their PMs still visit ProZ.com.

My advice to you is try to get court certified or medically certified. Those are two areas where they frequently need interpreters.

Thank you very much for your advice, Steve. I plan to look into it - take some course or something.

ysun
ysun  Identity Verified
United States
English to Chinese
+ ...
循序渐进 Feb 26, 2014

Peipei Xiang wrote:

我觉得任何工作,只要不是自己到了特别绝望的地步,钱多一些或少一些也没太大差别的时候,是要顶住压力寻找自己心里最向往的不会有遗憾的事情去做。只是很多时候,大部分人有更现实的问题考虑,为了生存,只好勉为其难以量取胜了吧,就像中国的劳动密集型产业一样。

欢迎!你说得有道理。所以我觉得,如果想从事翻译这一行,最好有一个平稳的过渡。原来在做别的工作的,不要轻易辞掉,最好先做 part-time 翻译。否则的话,一开始的日子就会比较艰难,也没多少讨价还价的余地。我认识一位翻译,他特地找了一份卖保险的工作,就是为了维持基本开支和享受公司福利。他的翻译工作量很大,有时还找我帮忙,似乎卖保险反而成了他的副业。

你的条件不错。前面有几位同仁给你提了不少建议,我觉得很好。你说你可能会上一个 medical interpreter 的课程,我也觉得很好。做翻译最好要专业化。Medical 方面,无论是口译还是笔译,市场需求都很大。口译受地域限制,面对的竞争相对会小些。你可以绕过翻译中介,与当地医院直接联系,价格也会高一些。医院和社会福利等机构,对中文翻译的需求还是较大的。几年前,波士顿有家翻译公司,找我翻过不少 ICF 和临床研究计划等。当时他们主动找上门来时,我很奇怪,因为这与我的背景相差很远。另外,根据你的经历,教美国人中文或到当地中文学校教书,也是个不错的选项。课外若有时间还可以继续搞笔译。我这些不成熟的意见,仅供你参考。

Peipei Xiang
United States
Chinese to English
+ ...
非常感谢。 Feb 26, 2014

ysun wrote:

欢迎!你说得有道理。所以我觉得,如果想从事翻译这一行,最好有一个平稳的过渡。原来在做别的工作的,不要轻易辞掉,最好先做 part-time 翻译。否则的话,一开始的日子就会比较艰难,也没多少讨价还价的余地。我认识一位翻译,他特地找了一份卖保险的工作,就是为了维持基本开支和享受公司福利。他的翻译工作量很大,有时还找我帮忙,似乎卖保险反而成了他的副业。

你的条件不错。前面有几位同仁给你提了不少建议,我觉得很好。你说你可能会上一个 medical interpreter 的课程,我也觉得很好。做翻译最好要专业化。Medical 方面,无论是口译还是笔译,市场需求都很大。口译受地域限制,面对的竞争相对会小些。你可以绕过翻译中介,与当地医院直接联系,价格也会高一些。医院和社会福利等机构,对中文翻译的需求还是较大的。几年前,波士顿有家翻译公司,找我翻过不少 ICF 和临床研究计划等。当时他们主动找上门来时,我很奇怪,因为这与我的背景相差很远。另外,根据你的经历,教美国人中文或到当地中文学校教书,也是个不错的选项。课外若有时间还可以继续搞笔译。我这些不成熟的意见,仅供你参考。

Yueyin,非常感谢你的宝贵意见。我也觉得专业化很重要,其实我一直以来就是觉得自己缺乏这样的专业技能。我现在就在考虑上legal interpreter和/或者medical interpreter的课程。教中文是不错,不过也需要一个certificate或一定的背景,目前我只是兼职辅导。总之都还在摸索阶段啊……

ysun
ysun  Identity Verified
United States
English to Chinese
+ ...
Legal interpreter Feb 27, 2014

Peipei Xiang wrote:

Yueyin,非常感谢你的宝贵意见。我也觉得专业化很重要,其实我一直以来就是觉得自己缺乏这样的专业技能。我现在就在考虑上legal interpreter和/或者medical interpreter的课程。教中文是不错,不过也需要一个certificate或一定的背景,目前我只是兼职辅导。总之都还在摸索阶段啊……

不客气。做 legal interpreter 也不错。wherestip 在前面给你的建议很好。
wherestip wrote:

我上面说的那位兼卖保险的翻译就是个 court-certified interpreter。不过,做口译的机会不会经常有,还是要做些笔译或其他工作。你还很年轻,如果有其他更好的机会也不要放过。

华 姜
华 姜
China
Local time: 23:36
English to Chinese
+ ...
Discount for TM leverage Feb 27, 2014

看到有人谈到,Discount for TM leverage
这个是指什么意思?

Zhoudan
Zhoudan  Identity Verified
Local time: 23:36
English to Chinese
+ ...
这个是叫你... Feb 27, 2014

提供discount for fuzzy matches

华 姜 wrote:

看到有人谈到,Discount for TM leverage
这个是指什么意思?

Peipei Xiang
United States
Chinese to English
+ ...
Thanks again! Feb 27, 2014

ysun wrote:

我上面说的那位兼卖保险的翻译就是个 court-certified interpreter。不过,做口译的机会不会经常有,还是要做些笔译或其他工作。你还很年轻,如果有其他更好的机会也不要放过。

嗯!非常感谢。我想各行都有各行的利与弊,甜蜜与辛酸,个中滋味也只有行内人才明白。希望自己可以找到自己真正喜欢的擅长的领域并坚持下去。

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

写给那些还在门外张望或刚刚踏进半只脚的朋友们

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »