Didier Briel
Didier Briel  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 15:56
English to French
+ ...
Broken links Dec 23, 2016

Samuel Murray wrote:
Changes requested by users: * Allow searches across source, target simultaneously [here]

Your links appear as
http://www.proz.com/forum/translator_resources/sourceforge.net/p/omegat/feature-requests/1189/
because you didn't include "https" before sourceforge.net/p/omegat/xxx.

Didier

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Didier, I was speaking like a user Dec 23, 2016

Didier Briel wrote:
Samuel Murray wrote:
...whose author had forked from OmegaT many years ago and added some of his own customisations, some of which were eventually included in OmegaT as well.

Nothing from OmegaT+ was used in OmegaT. ... Perhaps we developed similar features...

Yes, I was speaking like a user, not like a developer. OmegaT+ has a feature that does/accomplishes X, and since then OmegaT also got a feature that does/accomplishes X.

Didier Briel wrote:
Your links...

...still don't work, even after fixing it.

[Edited at 2016-12-23 12:09 GMT]

Samuel Murray
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Francesco, bringing the discussion back to Ocelot Dec 23, 2016

FrancescoP wrote:
I think all of these problems are easy fixes and I can add them to the backlog. What else do you think it would make Ocelot an attractive CAT tool for freelancers?

I don't think that there is hope for Ocelot as a CAT tool. There are too many things missing. And even if you add those things, no-one is going to switch to Ocelot unless Ocelot provides something crucially more than the user gets elsewhere. Ocelot should focus on that which it does best, and improve itself for that purpose, i.e. as an LQA assistant.

There may be some hope for Ocelot as an XLIFF editor, but only if it doesn't render the XLIFF files unusable in their original programs, and only if it greatly, greatly improves its editing capabilities. There is certainly a gap in the market for a better non-CAT XLIFF editor. I can think of only Heartsome/Araya and Virtaal -- do you know of any other XLIFF editors that are primarily XLIFF editors and not just CAT tools that happen to have XLIFF editing capability?

CafeTran Training (X)
CafeTran Training (X)
Netherlands
XLIFF Dec 23, 2016

Samuel Murray wrote:

do you know of any other XLIFF editors that are primarily XLIFF editors and not just CAT tools that happen to have XLIFF editing capability?

https://www.macupdate.com/find/mac/XLIFF

FrancescoP
FrancescoP  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 07:56
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Samuel Dec 23, 2016

You are being very helpful. I just run a quick test on OmegaT and it doesn't seem to support WorldServer exported xlif format for some reasons. One thing that surprises me is the old fashion approach of the editor, with the target below the source instead of next to it. It has a 1980s feel.
... See more
You are being very helpful. I just run a quick test on OmegaT and it doesn't seem to support WorldServer exported xlif format for some reasons. One thing that surprises me is the old fashion approach of the editor, with the target below the source instead of next to it. It has a 1980s feel.

caricare immagini
Collapse

Didier Briel
Didier Briel  Identity Verified
France
English to French
+ ...
Try the Okapi plugin Dec 23, 2016

FrancescoP wrote:
You are being very helpful. I just run a quick test on OmegaT and it doesn't seem to support WorldServer exported xlif format for some reasons.

You should try the Okapi plugin:
http://okapiframework.org/wiki/index.php?title=Okapi_Filters_Plugin_for_OmegaT

Can you send me the file privately?
The display I see looks strange, with tags not interpreted.

Didier

FrancescoP
United States
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Merci Didier! Dec 23, 2016

I installed the Okapi plug-in and now the segmentation is correct:

upload

Very helpful, thank you so much for sharing your knowledge!

Samuel Murray
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Side by side view in OmegaT Dec 23, 2016

FrancescoP wrote:
I just run a quick test on OmegaT and ... one thing that surprises me is the old fashion approach of the editor, with the target below the source instead of next to it.

Many translators actually prefer that. Such translators only tolerate side-by-side in tools like Trados because those tools don't offer any alternative view. But you're welcome to arrange for the side-by-side view as an option to be developed, if you think it will increase your productivity by much.

FrancescoP
United States
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
What CAT tool you use Dec 23, 2016

Samuel Murray wrote:

FrancescoP wrote:
I just run a quick test on OmegaT and ... one thing that surprises me is the old fashion approach of the editor, with the target below the source instead of next to it.

Many translators actually prefer that. Such translators only tolerate side-by-side in tools like Trados because those tools don't offer any alternative view. But you're welcome to arrange for the side-by-side view as an option to be developed, if you think it will increase your productivity by much.

So what is your preferred CAT tool, Samuel? And why do you like it so much?

Samuel Murray
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
I use Wordfast Dec 24, 2016

FrancescoP wrote:
So what is your preferred CAT tool, Samuel? And why do you like it so much?

I use Wordfast Classic. I do not "like" it. But I'm used to it. And my fingers are used to it.

It lacks many features that other CAT tools have (e.g. filtering of segments, automatic segment propagation) and the current version lacks some features the older versions had (e.g. reliable match comparison, manual glossary stemming), and there are some things that wished were different (e.g. updating the active TM when an unedited match comes from a reference TM). And there are some things that I'm just used to (e.g. the fact that TMs and glossaries are plain text files, which means that most of my TM and glossary management is be done by copy/pasting human readable text).

But mostly I keep using it because my fingers are used to it. Finger memory affects translation speed and ease of use more than anything else. But that is not relevant in a discussion of a new CAT tool.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Ocelot 2.2: Open Source CAT tool

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »