Thread poster: Serena Marangoni
Serena Marangoni
Serena Marangoni
Italy
Local time: 18:14
English to Italian
+ ...
Sep 26, 2016

I don't use excel files normally so I'm not sure how if it can be done. I have a source file that has many columns, some have tags and reference numbers, one has the source text (EN) the others have the target languages. I have to fill my translation in the IT column, disregarding the others.
Can it be done automatically? Which CAT tool handles excel files better?

LEXpert
LEXpert  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 11:14
Member (2008)
Croatian to English
+ ...
2 options Sep 26, 2016

All common CAT tools should handle Excel files just fine.
For your situation, I suggest:
Option 1: Copy the source text column into a blank Excel file, or create a copy of the source file and delete everything except the source column. Translate this file in your favorite CAT tool. Copy the translation into the appropriate column in the original source file.
Option 2: Create a copy of the source column in the source file, under IT in your case. Use the Excel import filters in
... See more
All common CAT tools should handle Excel files just fine.
For your situation, I suggest:
Option 1: Copy the source text column into a blank Excel file, or create a copy of the source file and delete everything except the source column. Translate this file in your favorite CAT tool. Copy the translation into the appropriate column in the original source file.
Option 2: Create a copy of the source column in the source file, under IT in your case. Use the Excel import filters in your CAT tool to import just that column for translation.

[Edited at 2016-09-26 10:20 GMT]
Collapse

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 19:14
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Use WFP Sep 26, 2016

When opening an Excel file in WFP the software lets you choose between simple or advanced wizard. In the advanced version you can define which row is a header and into which column your translation should be placed.
http://wordfast.fi/blog/cat-tools/2012/03/14/how-to-translate-excel-columns-in-wordfast-pro/

With Excel I alway
... See more
When opening an Excel file in WFP the software lets you choose between simple or advanced wizard. In the advanced version you can define which row is a header and into which column your translation should be placed.
http://wordfast.fi/blog/cat-tools/2012/03/14/how-to-translate-excel-columns-in-wordfast-pro/

With Excel I always use WFP, even if I otherwise prefer SDL Studio.

After translation you usually have to open the file and make some adjustments to the translated column.
Collapse

Marcus König
Marcus König  Identity Verified
Germany
Portuguese to German
+ ...
memoQ Sep 26, 2016

In memoQ, you can import content from multiple-column formats including Excel sheets. If you import the document in a multilingual setting, you can set the meaning of each column on the separate Columns tab. In the Columns tab, you can specify the meaning of each column. It doesn't matter if your target column is empty or has a translation already. You can also import the other columns and use the... See more
In memoQ, you can import content from multiple-column formats including Excel sheets. If you import the document in a multilingual setting, you can set the meaning of each column on the separate Columns tab. In the Columns tab, you can specify the meaning of each column. It doesn't matter if your target column is empty or has a translation already. You can also import the other columns and use them as context. Quite a common task. Please read: http://kilgray.com/memoq/2015-100/help-en/index.html?multilingual_delimited_text_fi.htmlCollapse

CafeTran Training (X)
CafeTran Training (X)
Netherlands
You can use CafeTran Sep 28, 2016

Serena Marangoni wrote:

I don't use excel files normally so I'm not sure how if it can be done. I have a source file that has many columns, some have tags and reference numbers, one has the source text (EN) the others have the target languages. I have to fill my translation in the IT column, disregarding the others.

For the record and future Proz members looking for the answer to your question:

CafeTran has a special function to do this: import column EN, export to column IT.

Serena Marangoni
Serena Marangoni  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
Thanks Sep 28, 2016

CafeTran Training wrote:

Serena Marangoni wrote:

For the record and future Proz members looking for the answer to your question:

CafeTran has a special function to do this: import column EN, export to column IT.

I ended up using CafeTran . It did exactly what I was looking for. Thank you.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Translating excel file without overwriting

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »