Thread poster: Serena Marangoni
Serena Marangoni
Serena Marangoni  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 11:00
English to Italian
+ ...
May 31, 2016

I'm translating an online list of article descriptions on a website. It's long, with lots of repetitions. It has a proprietary system where I see the item to translate and input my translation directly. So I have no source document and I see the items one at a time.
I used to set up my own TM with excel but it's time consuming and the search function is awful.
Is there any CAT tool that allows me to translate bits of texts without having to create a text document for each item? (wh
... See more
I'm translating an online list of article descriptions on a website. It's long, with lots of repetitions. It has a proprietary system where I see the item to translate and input my translation directly. So I have no source document and I see the items one at a time.
I used to set up my own TM with excel but it's time consuming and the search function is awful.
Is there any CAT tool that allows me to translate bits of texts without having to create a text document for each item? (which works but is very time consuming).
Something that allows me to build my TM on the go.
Ideally it would work like this: I copy/paste the item that I need to translate into the CAT tool interface. It brings up matches from my TM. If there's no match, or if it needs editing I can make changes and store the new translation in the TM.

I've tried Trados clipboard translation thinking that it was the tool I needed, but I can't understand if I can input new translation, so far it only allows me to copy translations that are already in my TM, not to create new ones. (There seems to be a button to "save and add" but it's greyed out, and it only works when I choose to copy the source segment to the target - then it does add the new translation as an item in the TM, but it's useless since it's the same as the original text.
Collapse

Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 10:00
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Sounds like a job for CafeTran's (new & improved) Clipboard workflow! May 31, 2016

Serena-M wrote:

Is there any CAT tool that allows me to translate bits of texts without having to create a text document for each item? (which works but is very time consuming).
Something that allows me to build my TM on the go.
Ideally it would work like this: I copy/paste the item that I need to translate into the CAT tool interface. It brings up matches from my TM. If there's no match, or if it needs editing I can make changes and store the new translation in the TM.

I've tried Trados clipboard translation thinking that it was the tool I needed, but I can't understand if I can input new translation, so far it only allows me to copy translations that are already in my TM, not to create new ones. (There seems to be a button to "save and add" but it's greyed out, and it only works when I choose to copy the source segment to the target - then it does add the new translation as an item in the TM, but it's useless since it's the same as the original text.

Hi Serena,

I think CafeTran has just what you are looking for! Have a look at it's recently redesigned clipboard workflow.

See e.g.:

https://cafetran.freshdesk.com/support/solutions/articles/6000108822-basic-clipboard-workflow
https://cafetran.freshdesk.com/support/solutions/articles/6000110165-formatting-in-clipboard-workflow
https://cafetran.freshdesk.com/support/discussions/topics/6000032988
https://translationswithchemistry.com/2015/11/13/translating-a-pdf-using-the-clipboard-feature-in-cafetran/

If you have any questions about it, ask in the CafeTran forum @ https://cafetran.freshdesk.com/support/discussions or send the developer (Igor) an email @ [email protected]

Michael

[Edited at 2016-05-31 11:48 GMT]

Igor also recently made a good video showing how it works: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fx04j-38gfM

[Edited at 2016-05-31 11:50 GMT]

Serena Marangoni
Serena Marangoni  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! May 31, 2016

Thanks Michael! Just what I was looking for, and switching to the second window automatically is a lovely feature too!!!
I'll check the documentation and tutorials you provided but it's perfect (now I only need to understand how to avoid it copyign tags when exporting the segment).

Meta Arkadia
Meta Arkadia
Local time: 16:00
English to Indonesian
+ ...
No response... Jun 1, 2016

So I'll give it a try.

DISCLAIMER: I hardy understand the CafeTran Clipboard Workflow

Serena-M wrote:
...now I only need to understand how to avoid it copyign tags when exporting the segment

This is strange. Because of its very nature, the clipboard strips any formatting from the source text, and you'll have to add it manually to the target text.

Besides, as far as I know you can't edit an HTML file directly, you'll have to use an editor. MS Word or OOo/LibreOffice are the most likely candidates. So:

• (Batch) convert the Internet files to *.docx or *.odt
  • Translate in the Clipboard Workflow as indicated above by Michael Jodocus Wilhelmina Beijer
  • Add any formatting in CafeTran's target pane or later in the text editor/wordprocessor
  • (Batch) convert back to HTML

Cheers,

Hans

• Michael Beijer
    Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
    United Kingdom
    Local time: 10:00
    Member (2009)
    Dutch to English
    + ...
    online CAT tool Jun 1, 2016

Meta Arkadia wrote:

So I'll give it a try.

DISCLAIMER: I hardy understand the CafeTran Clipboard Workflow

Serena-M wrote:
    ...now I only need to understand how to avoid it copyign tags when exporting the segment

This is strange. Because of its very nature, the clipboard strips any formatting from the source text, and you'll have to add it manually to the target text.

Besides, as far as I know you can't edit an HTML file directly, you'll have to use an editor. MS Word or OOo/LibreOffice are the most likely candidates. So:

• (Batch) convert the Internet files to *.docx or *.odt
  • Translate in the Clipboard Workflow as indicated above by Michael Jodocus Wilhelmina Beijer
  • Add any formatting in CafeTran's target pane or later in the text editor/wordprocessor
  • (Batch) convert back to HTML

Cheers,

Hans

• I think what she means is that she has to use an online CAT tool, rather than work on HTML files.

M.J.W.T.T.R.E.C.F.R.E.D.W.E.D.R.E.R. Beijer

Igor Kmitowski
    Igor Kmitowski  Identity Verified
    Poland
    Member (2016)
    English to Polish
    + ...
    Removing html tags in the clipboard workflow Jun 1, 2016

Hi Serena,

The solution has been given at the CafeTran forum here: https://cafetran.freshdesk.com/support/discussions/topics/6000037512

[Edited at 2016-06-01 08:19 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Which CAT tool allows me to translate online content

TM-Town
    Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
    CafeTran Espresso
    You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »