Vaclav Balacek
Vaclav Balacek  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Local time: 18:03
English to Czech
+ ...
Using your own TMs May 4, 2016

Laure Trads wrote:

Thank you very much for getting back to me.

Since this afternoon, I have been trying Memsource Editor and must say that it is a lot faster.

You're right, the tags seem to come from the original file, not from Memsource.

I have a suggestion: would it be possible to use other CAT tools' TMs, like Trados? I have been using Trados since 1998 and would like to use my previous work to get more matches, perhaps in TMX format?

Hi Laure,
Thanks for the more positive feedback
Regarding the use of your own TMs: this is possible but would require that you subscribe to your own Memsource account (Freelancer edition at minimum).
This will make it possible for you to use the concept of project or job sharing where your client will basically transfer their projects or parts of their projects to your account, where you will be able to for example attach your own translation memories and term bases, run your own analyses, or share the work with others if you work in a team or represent an LSP.

Laure Delpech
Laure Delpech  Identity Verified
France
Member (2004)
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
OK thank you Vaclav May 4, 2016

Vaclav Balacek wrote: Regarding the use of your own TMs: this is possible but would require that you subscribe to your own Memsource account (Freelancer edition at minimum).
This will make it possible for you to use the concept of project or job sharing where your client will basically transfer their projects or parts of their projects to your account, where you will be able to for example attach your own translation memories and term bases, run your own analyses, or share the work with others if you work in a team or represent an LSP.

Jennifer Taylor
Jennifer Taylor  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 17:03
Member (2008)
Czech to English
+ ...
Memsource user May 4, 2016

I have been using Memsource exclusively for a year or so now. I used to use MemoQ, but my ageing Mac was slowed by it too much. Memsource has a Mac desktop version which makes things a lot easier for me.

To be honest, I don't find it quite as good as I did MemoQ but I think it is definitely on its way there, and frankly, the improved performance on my computer is so significant that I forgive it for any shortcomings.

Regarding the speed of the program, I use the deskto
... See more
I have been using Memsource exclusively for a year or so now. I used to use MemoQ, but my ageing Mac was slowed by it too much. Memsource has a Mac desktop version which makes things a lot easier for me.

To be honest, I don't find it quite as good as I did MemoQ but I think it is definitely on its way there, and frankly, the improved performance on my computer is so significant that I forgive it for any shortcomings.

Regarding the speed of the program, I use the desktop version and sometimes find there's a lag. I don't know if it's my computer or an issue with the server. It doesn't normally last too long and the vast majority of the time the connection is seamless.

As for companies who offer you work using a specific CAT tool, I find that attitude frustrating, especially when the one they want you to use is too restrictive for you to work as well as you normally would. However, Memsource is not one of those. As has already been mentioned, it can often come down to the PM not knowing how to use it and sending you some awful OCR conversion. I suppose the lesson there is to tell them you need them to send you a cleaner version!

Finally, thank you Václav for the information about the project sharing option. I hadn't realised this was an option and it's great to know for future reference.
Collapse

Marcelet GEFFRARD

Łukasz Gos-Furmankiewicz
Łukasz Gos-Furmankiewicz  Identity Verified
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
... May 4, 2016

My sympathies, Laure.

I try not to be too dismissive, but I don't go out of my way to incorporate custom or niche CATs for my agencies.

Perhaps if they had a good and proportionate reason to justify the added bother and paid proportionately higher fees, though I doubt the reason for using custom/niche CATs is to actually pay translators more.

I wouldn't unduly discriminate against a simple, no
... See more
My sympathies, Laure.

I try not to be too dismissive, but I don't go out of my way to incorporate custom or niche CATs for my agencies.

Perhaps if they had a good and proportionate reason to justify the added bother and paid proportionately higher fees, though I doubt the reason for using custom/niche CATs is to actually pay translators more.

I wouldn't unduly discriminate against a simple, no-frills tool that were fit for the job. But asking me to do advanced text editing in a tool that had no advanced editing functions or made them too cumbersome to use, that would be a no-no.

So far, I've only used Memsource once, and even though I'm not going to bash it, I still have no intention of using it ever again if at all avoidable.

On a different note, it may be in our best interest as translators to rethink this approach in order not to turn SDL and Kilgray into Microsoft and Apple by avoiding agencies that don't use the most industry-standard tools.
Collapse

Laure Delpech
France
Member (2004)
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you for your comments Jennifer May 4, 2016

Jennifer Gordon Taylor wrote:

Regarding the speed of the program, I use the desktop version and sometimes find there's a lag. I don't know if it's my computer or an issue with the server. It doesn't normally last too long and the vast majority of the time the connection is seamless.

As for companies who offer you work using a specific CAT tool, I find that attitude frustrating, especially when the one they want you to use is too restrictive for you to work as well as you normally would. However, Memsource is not one of those. As has already been mentioned, it can often come down to the PM not knowing how to use it and sending you some awful OCR conversion. I suppose the lesson there is to tell them you need them to send you a cleaner version!

[Modifié le 2016-05-04 09:48 GMT]

Laure Delpech
France
Member (2004)
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you also Łukasz May 4, 2016

Łukasz Gos-Furmankiewicz wrote:

My sympathies, Laure.

I wouldn't unduly discriminate against a simple, no-frills tool that were fit for the job. But asking me to do advanced text editing in a tool that had no advanced editing functions or made them too cumbersome to use, that would be a no-no.

So far, I've only used Memsource once, and even though I'm not going to bash it, I still have no intention of using it ever again if at all avoidable.

On a different note, it may be in our best interest as translators to rethink this approach in order not to turn SDL and Kilgray into Microsoft and Apple by avoiding agencies that don't use the most industry-standard tools.

I completely agree that SDL and Kilgray should not become monopolies, forcing us to buy very expensive upgrades.

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL
Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2004)
English to Italian
Not really free... May 4, 2016

Vaclav Balacek wrote:n TMs: this is possible but would require that you subscribe to your own Memsource account (Freelancer edition at minimum).

as a translator, if you want to use it as a proper CAT tool, you need to pay a subscription. It's the only way you can add your TMs and Termbases... and basically, keep a copy of your translations without having to align everything afterwards... I'm sure it's very useful for agencies as a managing tool, but the free version for translators is frankly not up to scratch (when are we going to get Autosuggest for the desktop editor?)... At the moment, you can't do much with it. Just translate. It seems to me that the model is basically geared towards translation agencies... who, inevitably, don't allow you to access their TMs or Termbases... and you can't add your autosuggest dictionaries either... all in all, it's ok, but you need to pay to get the most out of it...

G

Laure Delpech
France
Member (2004)
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you for your comments Giovanni May 4, 2016

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL wrote:
It seems to me that the model is basically geared towards translation agencies... who, inevitably, don't allow you to access their TMs or Termbases...
G

I agree.
Although I still don't understand why agencies, who have already paid for, say, Trados, want to switch to Memsource (and therefore spend more money).

United Kingdom
Member (2004)
English to Italian
well... May 4, 2016

Laure Trads wrote:

I agree.
Although I still don't understand why agencies, who have already paid for, say, Trados, want to switch to Memsource (and therefore spend more money).

Could be that - if they are looking for a cloud solution to streamline their processes - the options offered by SDL are much more expensive... I really don't see any other reason... by using Memsource, they will save money, penalising their translators with an inferior editor, though... which is nonsense, because they should help you do a better job...

Having said that, at least the people behind Memsource are very open with their pricing... can't find any pricing for SDL's cloud packages... I wonder why...

Jennifer Taylor
Jennifer Taylor  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Czech to English
+ ...
TMs and Termbases May 4, 2016

as a translator, if you want to use it as a proper CAT tool, you need to pay a subscription. It's the only way you can add your TMs and Termbases... and basically, keep a copy of your translations without having to align everything afterwards...

Not true! I use my own TMs and Termbases and add to them all the time. What you *are* limited to is the number of translations you can have in it at one go. You can only have two in the free version.

I have several different projects that I keep for different language combinations, but delete the translation job from the project once I've finished it. Obviously this is an issue if you want to open several files in one go, or keep them in the project once you've finished it.

One of these days, I will probably pay, but I've managed fine without doing so thus far.

Vaclav Balacek
Vaclav Balacek  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Clarification May 4, 2016

Jennifer Gordon Taylor wrote:

as a translator, if you want to use it as a proper CAT tool, you need to pay a subscription. It's the only way you can add your TMs and Termbases... and basically, keep a copy of your translations without having to align everything afterwards...

Not true! I use my own TMs and Termbases and add to them all the time. What you *are* limited to is the number of translations you can have in it at one go. You can only have two in the free version.

I have several different projects that I keep for different language combinations, but delete the translation job from the project once I've finished it. Obviously this is an issue if you want to open several files in one go, or keep them in the project once you've finished it.

One of these days, I will probably pay, but I've managed fine without doing so thus far.

Hi Jennifer and everyone,
To explain on this a little bit - Giovanni and Jennifer are talking about two different situations.

What Jennifer says is a situation when you get files to translate, perhaps from your direct customers, and you create your own projects in Memsource. If this is the case, you can even go with the free Personal Edition, which has all features but some limitations (maximum of 2 jobs and maximum of 10 MB per source file). You create your own project, upload your file or files into it, create/manage/use your own TMs and TBs, translate and generate the completed file which you deliver to your client.

What Giovanni talks about is a scenario when a translation buyer or an LSP creates the translation project and then assigns a task to a translator/reviewer/proofreader etc. In this case, you can choose one of the two possible forms of collaboration:
1. You work from a Linguist's account which is free of charge for you. You get a link from your LSP, open your Linguist Portal, open your file in Memsource Web Editor or Memsource Editor (desktop), translate, QA, deliver. You are not able to attach your own TMs, TBs, run your own analyses, share work with anyone else, etc.
2. You work from a Vendor's account to which you need to subscribe. Depending on what you need to do, you can choose anything between our Freelancer and Ultimate editions. This gives you the possibility to use your own resources, share your work within a team, split files, subcontract, etc. You in fact become sort of a junior project manager in this project.

I hope I managed to clarify this.

Vaclav

Note for Giovanni - the auto-suggest feature should be available in Memsource Editor soon, currently, it is only available in Web Editor.

Laure Delpech
France
Member (2004)
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
Another suggestion May 5, 2016

Vaclav,

Thank you for your clarifications.

I have another suggestion: when users type a keyword in the search function, it would be useful that the search automatically goes to the top of the page. Otherwise, the users might not realise that there are segments above the displayed ones.

[Modifié le 2016-05-05 07:56 GMT]

United Kingdom
Member (2004)
English to Italian
thanks... May 5, 2016

Thanks, Vaclav... yes, I should have clarified the scenario I was talking about... of course, if you use Memsource as your own CAT tool, it is free, with limitations... but I think most of us are sent "jobs" by LSP and then, if you want to use your own resources, you have to upgrade and pay for it...

Vaclav Balacek wrote:

Note for Giovanni - the auto-suggest feature should be available in Memsource Editor soon, currently, it is only available in Web Editor.

That's good news... I'm aware it's available with the online editor, but I don't really use the online editor... I find it "temperamental" and slow on occasions, especially with big files... so, I use the desktop one...

[Edited at 2016-05-05 08:25 GMT]

Gabriele Demuth
Gabriele Demuth  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English to German
First free tool May 5, 2016

Memsource was the first CAT tool I used and I was quite happy with it, the two file limit wasn't a problem, as like the OP I just deleted completed translations.

Then I upgraded to Trados, which at first I found a lot more complicated with many features I didn't seem to need, but I am getting increasingly familiar and I customise the system to my needs. Also, a number of my clients send packages and I don't think that would work with Memsource.

I do have one or two clie
... See more
Memsource was the first CAT tool I used and I was quite happy with it, the two file limit wasn't a problem, as like the OP I just deleted completed translations.

Then I upgraded to Trados, which at first I found a lot more complicated with many features I didn't seem to need, but I am getting increasingly familiar and I customise the system to my needs. Also, a number of my clients send packages and I don't think that would work with Memsource.

I do have one or two clients who send Memsource files with their TM, but I don't see a problem with that, however, if there were lots of tags or any issue that would require me to spend more time on the project then this would need to be raised either way, regardless of the CAT tool.

There is one thing though I do not like, I usually proofread/edit my translations in the original format, e.g. Word in order to see the text as a whole with all its natural paragraphs and not as mere segments, so it does bother me if clients send files in CAT tools where I cannot generate a target translation.

[Edited at 2016-05-05 09:23 GMT]
Collapse

Sigrid Llavina
Sigrid Llavina  Identity Verified
Italy
Italian to English
+ ...
This was my first time with Memsource Jan 11, 2017

REally a mess, after doing such a huge job with some of the functions and options not working at all, the final result with all the tags incorporated within words at the source column and impossible to put on the target since the meaning and the translation do not comply!

Please help!

Rabie El Magdouli

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3] >

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

Do you accept Memsource jobs?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »