MemSource vs. MemoQ
Thread poster: Ekaterina (Katia) Glass
Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 07:50
English to Russian
The said plugin requires API Nov 17, 2015

It is free for downloading but not free for using.
Even if you buy API for that app, you may be banned from using TM by managers.
This makes the plugin useless.

But the most important Openexchange notice:
Please note: This plugin will only work with SDL Trados Studio 2011 or 2014 Freelance editions.

soaper
soaper
Türkiye
Turkish to English
Re: Memsource Nov 17, 2015

Ari Rotonen wrote:
This goes beyond a request for having this or that feature added, but instead requires a mindset that adds productivity-enhancing features even without specific requests. Innovation, you know.

Your comment above also nails my pivotal gripe about this product. If you tell them to fix some feature, they may do that, but they will continue to fail everywhere else, because they don't understand the larger picture and the overall goal.

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL
Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 05:50
Member (2004)
English to Italian
correct! Nov 17, 2015

Stepan Konev wrote:

It is free for downloading but not free for using.
Even if you buy API for that app, you may be banned from using TM by managers.
This makes the plugin useless.

But the most important Openexchange notice:
Please note: This plugin will only work with SDL Trados Studio 2011 or 2014 Freelance editions.

As I said before, your client needs to make the TMs available... but I think Ari can have that... the problem is actually opening the mxliff files in Studio...

Ari Rotonen
Ari Rotonen
Finland
Finnish to English
+ ...
Won't pay for Memsource Nov 17, 2015

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL wrote:

As I said before, your client needs to make the TMs available... but I think Ari can have that... the problem is actually opening the mxliff files in Studio...

The client actually has provided me with instructions for opening the mxliff files in Studio, but have no intention of paying for any edition, version, API or what-have-you of Memsource at its current state.

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
English to Russian
Re: As I said before... Nov 17, 2015

Yes, I missed that. Exactly.
I did not try memsource files with SDL, but it works with memoQ fine.
When importing a memsource file, you need to select xliff filter.

United Kingdom
Member (2004)
English to Italian
if they managed it... Nov 17, 2015

Ari Rotonen wrote:

The client actually has provided me with instructions for opening the mxliff files in Studio, but have no intention of paying for any edition, version, API or what-have-you of Memsource at its current state.

I'd like to know how! I must be doing something wrong...

United Kingdom
Member (2004)
English to Italian
I think they do... Nov 17, 2015

soaper wrote:

because they don't understand the larger picture and the overall goal.

but they don't seem to understand the translators' needs... having said that, as a cloud tool is not too bad. I've seen a lot worse. They just need to take the desktop editor to the next level, on par with Studio and MemoQ, for example.

The reason why many agencies are jumping ship is because of the price...

[Edited at 2015-11-17 11:26 GMT]

Ari Rotonen
Ari Rotonen
Finland
Finnish to English
+ ...
Exactly Nov 17, 2015

but they don't seem to understand the translators' needs... having said that, as a cloud tool is not too bad. I've seen a lot worse. They just need to take the desktop editor to the next level, on par with Studio and MemoQ, for example.

Couldn't agree more!

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
Local time: 06:50
English
Just add... Nov 17, 2015

Ari Rotonen wrote:

... *.mxliff to the filetype recogniser in the XLIFF options and then you will be able to use the XLIFF filter for these files. It's not customised to map perfectly out of the box with memsource extensions and statuese but I think it's workable.

Regards

Paul
SDL Community Support

United Kingdom
Member (2004)
English to Italian
thanks... Nov 17, 2015

SDL Community wrote:

Ari Rotonen wrote:

... *.mxliff to the filetype recogniser in the XLIFF options and then you will be able to use the XLIFF filter for these files. It's not customised to map perfectly out of the box with memsource extensions and statuese but I think it's workable.

Regards

Paul
SDL Community Support

I appreciate your input...

Mario Freitas
Mario Freitas  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 01:50
Member (2014)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
MemoQ vs. Memsource?? Dec 4, 2015

I'm sorry I'm posting this late comment. As a MemoQ user, having tested several other tools, including Memsource, I'd like to leave my 5 cents here.

As a colleague said very well in the first page, you are trying to compare a horse (Memsource) with a Ferrari (MemoQ). Well, I wouldn't say with a Ferrari, for MemoQ is not perfect and has its many bugs too, but certainly with a BMW.

Let's say if you switch from MemoQ to Memsource, you will run back to MemoQ in a few days.
... See more
I'm sorry I'm posting this late comment. As a MemoQ user, having tested several other tools, including Memsource, I'd like to leave my 5 cents here.

As a colleague said very well in the first page, you are trying to compare a horse (Memsource) with a Ferrari (MemoQ). Well, I wouldn't say with a Ferrari, for MemoQ is not perfect and has its many bugs too, but certainly with a BMW.

Let's say if you switch from MemoQ to Memsource, you will run back to MemoQ in a few days. Buy if you switch from Memsource to MemoQ (which I did), you will likely never see a Memsource screen in front of you ever again.

I currently refuse all jobs offered to me if they say "Memsource" anywhere in the announcement. I may change my mind in the future, of course, if they introduce a fully new version that at least works like a regular CAT.

Again, this is just a very personal opinion, just to add to your "statistics".

[Edited at 2015-12-04 04:47 GMT]
Collapse

Ari Rotonen
Ari Rotonen
Finland
Finnish to English
+ ...
Tools are investments that generate income Dec 9, 2015

Mario Freitas wrote:

As a colleague said very well in the first page, you are trying to compare a horse (Memsource) with a Ferrari (MemoQ).

Here is another metaphor: A customer orders a kitchen table from a carpenter and even offers a tool for the job - a Swiss Army knife. It might get the job done, but it will take forever and a day, and thus will not be profitable. Not in the short run and not in the long run.

A clever carpenter who knows how to earn a living in his/her trade will certainly have a full-fledged carpenter shop with all of the standard woodworking equipment: table saws, radial arm saws, a band saw scroll saw, a planer, a doweling machine, a shaper, a belt-sander, a wood press, etc. Yes, it will cost more, but will also pay itself back many times along the way.

Lincoln Hui
Lincoln Hui  Identity Verified
Hong Kong
Local time: 12:50
Chinese to English
+ ...
That's your own opinion Dec 10, 2015

Buy if you switch from Memsource to MemoQ (which I did), you will likely never see a Memsource screen in front of you ever again.

I hate every moment of my life when I have a memoQ screen in front of me. On the other hand, I've been quite comfortable working in Memsource (desktop editor).

Ari Rotonen
Ari Rotonen
Finland
Finnish to English
+ ...
Would you care to elaborate a bit? Dec 11, 2015

Lincoln Hui wrote:

I hate every moment of my life when I have a memoQ screen in front of me. On the other hand, I've been quite comfortable working in Memsource (desktop editor).

Interesting... Your opinion is somewhat uncommon, would you care to describe your experiences in more detail?

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member for the following reason: empty post
Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

MemSource vs. MemoQ

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »