Andre Dumoulin
Andre Dumoulin  Identity Verified
Panama
Local time: 07:51
Member (2010)
English to Spanish
+ ...
May 25, 2015

I am a paying user of Mem Source Cloud and their machine translation, "Microsoft translator with feedback", is out of order until June 3, according to their forum.

I would be happy to have comments from other Mem Source users.

Dominique Pivard
Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:51
Finnish to French
"Their"? May 26, 2015

I was under the impression Microsoft Translator (with or without feedback) was Microsoft's, not Memsource's product. Did I miss something?

Gabriele Demuth
Gabriele Demuth  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 13:51
English to German
3rd of June? May 26, 2015

I am a non-paying Memsource user and I noticed the MT option was not there for about one day last week.

It is back now though?

[Edited at 2015-05-26 11:13 GMT]

Vaclav Balacek
Vaclav Balacek  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Local time: 14:51
English to Czech
+ ...
Microsoft with Feedback May 26, 2015

Microsoft with Feedback should be back soon.
Due to an increased volume of texts translated via Memsource with the use of Microsoft with Feedback, Memsource ran out of its quota this month.
The technicians are now working to resolve the issue and the service is planned to be back later today.

Vaclav Balacek
Vaclav Balacek  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Local time: 14:51
English to Czech
+ ...
Microsoft with Feedback is back May 26, 2015

Hi, Microsoft with Feedback is running again.

Andre Dumoulin
Panama
Member (2010)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Microsoft and Memsource May 26, 2015

Dominique Pivard wrote:

I was under the impression Microsoft Translator (with or without feedback) was Microsoft's, not Memsource's product. Did I miss something?

Good question! I was assuming that Memsource and Microsoft were associated.
Yes, it is possible that Mem source is different from microsoft but they are at clearly partners. Try to use any other machine translation products than microsoft's with Mem Source ...Mem source clearly favors microsoft.

[Edited at 2015-05-26 16:27 GMT]

Dominique Pivard
Finnish to French
What "!with feedback" means May 26, 2015

Andre Dumoulin wrote:
I was assuming that Memsource and Microsoft were associated.

Well, maybe in a way, based on Vaclav's reply: it looks like Memsource has registered with Microsoft for the "with feedback" version of their MT service, on behalf of their (Memsource's) users.
Andre Dumoulin wrote:
Yes, it is possible that Mem source is different from microsoft but they are at clearly partners. Try to use any other machine translation products than microsoft's with Mem Source ...Mem source clearly favors microsoft.

It's rather "lazy" users who don't want to go through the trouble of getting their own credentials for Microsoft Translator (the "without feedback" version of it) or for Google Translate.

I'm able to use all three (Microsoft without feedback, Microsoft with feedback and Google), and I have decided to "favor" (= make it the default) Google:

I hope you realize there's a price for the "convenience" of using Microsoft with feedback: not only do you send your source texts to Microsoft (like with all other web-based MT services), but you also send them your own translations. I've personally preferred to go through the trouble of getting credentials for both Microsoft and Google (it's not that hard anyway), and also to incur the fee charged by Google (it's not that expensive), in exchange for keeping my translations for myself (and my clients).

[Edited at 2015-05-26 19:57 GMT]

Andre Dumoulin
Panama
Member (2010)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Well, if you could provide the links May 26, 2015

To get credentials for google translate and for microsoft without feedback. If it is not too difficult, I would take them. I hope they don't make it impossible from Latin America.

Dominique Pivard
Finnish to French
Getting credentials May 26, 2015

Andre Dumoulin wrote:
To get credentials for google translate and for microsoft without feedback. If it is not too difficult, I would take them. I hope they don't make it impossible from Latin America.

Actually, I made instructions for both a long time ago:

http://wordfast.fi/blog/cat-tools/2011/10/18/how-to-obtain-a-google-translate-api-v2-key/
http://wordfast.fi/blog/cat-tools/2012/05/01/new-microsoft-translator-api-with-client-id-and-client-secret/

Because of that, they are no longer current, but the basic idea is still the same.

For Google Translate, your best bet may be this:

https://cloud.google.com/translate/v2/faq

Latin America should be no problem, as long as you have some kind of credit card that can be charged every month.

For Microsoft Translator, try this:

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/translation/p/gettingstarted1.aspx

No credit card needed.

Andre Dumoulin
Panama
Member (2010)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you! May 26, 2015

Merci.

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

Mem source cloud

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »