Bad display of some characters with Lingobit‏ Localizer, version 8.0.8064 (built on Oct 9 2013)
Thread poster: Herwin ROBERGEAU
Herwin ROBERGEAU
Herwin ROBERGEAU  Identity Verified
Haiti
Local time: 16:44
English to French
+ ...
Dec 5, 2014

Dear Colleagues,

I am presently using a trial version of Lingobit Localizer (Standard Edition). It’s the version “8.0.8064 (Built on Oct 9 2013)” of Lingobit.

I create a translation project and I open an html web page with Lingobit. I am translating from English to French. After I open the first webpage in the project, I have several characters improperly displayed, in several segments, in the source text and in the target text not yet translated. For example, ins
... See more
Dear Colleagues,

I am presently using a trial version of Lingobit Localizer (Standard Edition). It’s the version “8.0.8064 (Built on Oct 9 2013)” of Lingobit.

I create a translation project and I open an html web page with Lingobit. I am translating from English to French. After I open the first webpage in the project, I have several characters improperly displayed, in several segments, in the source text and in the target text not yet translated. For example, instead of “Terms & Conditions”, I have “Terms & Conditions”. In a second occurrence, instead of, “Terms & Conditions” I have “Terms & Conditions”. Instead of “News – Archive”, I have “News – Archive”. Instead of “ How to connect… ?”, I have “How to connect… ?”.

I try to create a second project and set some encoding parameters in order to prevent the problem. While I create the translation project, after choosing the language, before clicking on “OK”, I can see the following information at the bottom of the little window: “Language parameters. Language ID: 12. Primary language ID: 12. Culture name: fr. SublanguageID: 0 (because I do not choose a locale). Codepage: 1252 (ANSI- Latin I)”. At this step, they do not offer me a way or an option to change the codepage, for example, to set it as “UTF-8”. I think that this setting would resolve the problem of bad display of the characters.

I click “OK” to continue, and then I click “Next”. They ask me to add a file or several files to localize. Before adding the file(s), I click on the option “Configure project”. I obtain the little window with the title “Project properties (Folder > Parser)”.

On the left, I click on the “+” next to HTML (Legacy Parser) and then on “Encoding”. I obtain the little window with the title “Project properties (HTML (Legacy Parser) > Encoding)”. Then, on the right, under “Default Encoding” I click on the “…” next to the encoding set by default. I choose “UTF-8”, unchecking “Inherit from parent or project defaults”. Then I go below and for “Language encoding”, I set ““UTF-8” for English and “UTF-8” for French (by clicking twice in the field next to each language in order to have the drop down menu).

Then, on the left of the little window, I click on the “+” next to HTML and then on “Encoding”. I obtain the little window with the title “Project properties (HTML > Encoding)”. Then, on the right, under “Encoding to use if autodetect failed” I click on the “…” next to the encoding set by default. I choose “UTF-8”, unchecking “Inherit from parent or project defaults”. Then I go below and for “Language encoding”, I set ““UTF-8” for English and “UTF-8” for French (by clicking twice in the field next to each language in order to have the drop down menu). Below, I do not check or I uncheck “Enforce specified encoding for writing” “Enforce specified encoding for parsing”, “Never write BOM”.

Then, on the left of the little window, I click on the “+” next to PHP and then on “Encoding”. I obtain the little window with the title “Project properties (PHP > Encoding)”. I do exactly the same thing as above.

Then, on the left of the little window, I click on the “+” next to eRuby and then on “Encoding”. I obtain the little window with the title “Project properties (eRuby > Encoding)”. I do exactly the same thing that I did for HTML and PHP.

Then I click OK. I add an HTML file to be translated and I click “Next”. Then in the little window with the title “New project wizard”, I obtain the message “Congratulations! You have successfully created new project! Then I click on “Finish”.

I see that I still have the problem of bad display of characters. Then I try creating a third project while checking the 3 options “Enforce specified encoding for writing” “Enforce specified encoding for parsing”, “Never write BOM” in order to see if the display of the characters will be OK. I do that but the result is the same with the third project. The characters still display improperly.

With the file opened for translation with the third project, I go to Project > Properties. I see that here also I can change the settings “Enforce…” “Enforce…” and “Never write BOM” for HTML, PHP and eRuby. I go and I see that the paremeters are set as I did previously. So I see that I cannot resolve the problem this way. I try closing the software and reopen the project. My settings remain but I still have the problem of bad display of the characters.

I had a problem of bad display of characters almost similar with CastScradle 3 but I was able to resolve it quickly by setting the encoding from “Western│Latin 1 (ISO-8859-1)” to “Unicode │UTF-8” after going to File > Options > Encoding. But the similar method that I try with Lingobit does not work.

I searched in the Lingobit forum. Here is what I found. Link: http://www.lingobit.info/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=3452&sid=b3bfd7a7a9e60402025b962ef9df8766. Question asked on Sep 18, 2012 6:49 am: Lingobit Extractor - problem with umlaute (german ÄÜÖ). >I'm trying to extract strings from a large project. Lingobit extractor works fine with regular strings, but as soon as i get a string like "Übersichten" the extraction doesn't work as expected (i set lingobit extractor to use the string as identifier converted to upper case with underscores for whitespaces).
Then i get identifiers like "BERSICHTEN" or if i have a string like "Sie können" i get an identifier like "SIE_NNEN". Seems like lingobit extractor doesn't support unicode? Is there any workaround?”
Answer provided on Jan 08, 2013 3:25 am: Re: Lingobit Extractor - problem with umlaute (german ÄÜÖ)
“We added an option to enable Unicode support. You can do it at Project Properties>Id Generation.”

Then I return to my third project. I open the web page for translation. I go to “Project” and then to “Properties” but I see “Id Generation” nowhere.

I think that it is important to remark that the website that I am translating from English to French was originally created in German and there are some German names/words in the English texts.

Please help me to resolve this problem of bad display of some characters with the trial version of Lingobit Localizer (Standard Edition), version “8.0.8064 (Built on Oct 9 2013)”.

Thank you in advance. Lingobit looks very powerful and very efficient and I’d like to be able to resolve this problem.

Best regards,

Herwin Robergeau
Agronomist and Translator
www.agrotraducteur.host22.com
Collapse

Herwin ROBERGEAU
Haiti
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
The examples Dec 7, 2014

For example, instead of “Terms & Conditions”, I have “Terms & amp ; Conditions”. In a second occurrence, instead of, “Terms & Conditions” I have “Terms & # 038 ; Conditions”. Instead of “News – Archive”, I have “News & # 8211 ; Archive”. Instead of “ How to connect… ?”, I have “How to connect & # 8230 ; ?”.

Herwin ROBERGEAU
Haiti
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Solution found! Dec 17, 2014

Hello!

Finally, the person in charge of Lingobit Support ([email protected]) provided me a corrected trial version of Lingobit that displays all the characters perfectly as UTF-8.

Many thanks to everybody!

Herwin D. Robergeau
www.agrotraducteur.host22.com

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Bad display of some characters with Lingobit‏ Localizer, version 8.0.8064 (built on Oct 9 2013)

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »