Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 05:29
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Marie-Ever Oct 20, 2014

Marie-ever wrote:
I need one that can provide some training in my city or close by (Montreal) to manage well my projects.

According to SDL's web site, they don't seem to offer much in the way of training in person -- everything they do these days is via WebEx. They do have an "office" in Montreal but you never know if it is an actual office or just a freelancer they've co-opted to answers mails in that city. When in doubt, phone and ask.

Wordfast has a list of personal trainers on their web site as well. I see one in Mexico City -- is that close to you? Just kidding... there are 4 listed in Canada (time for a road trip).

Do you use SDL 2014? Because I used an older version (2009) at school and it was not so easy to use.

I had Trados 2009 and I have Trados 2011. They are equally easy or difficult to use (both are equally jumpy, too). Trados 2011 just has some extra, useful features. I imagine it would be the same for Trados 2014... i.e. just as easy or difficult to use as Trados 2009.

Madeleine Chevassus
Madeleine Chevassus  Identity Verified
France
Member (2010)
English to French
SITE LOCALIZER
MemoQ allows to generate .Xliff files Oct 20, 2014

Rudolf Vedo CT wrote:

If I had to pick one, I'd go with MemoQ, but if your customers insist on a particular package you may need to be flexible.

Hi,

I have MemoQ and use it whenever possible. Reason: ergonomy and very few blocking bugs.

With MemoQ you can generate .Xliff file if your client wants it (SDL Studio compatibility).

Emma Goldsmith
Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
Thoughts from a Studio 2014 user Oct 20, 2014

Marie-ever wrote:

Is someone using particularly SDL Trados 2014? Is this version easier to understand and use?

I use it every day. It's my tool of choice.
Studio 2014 uses a ribbon, which I think makes it is easier for newbies than previous versions.
In my experience, all CAT tools have a similar learning curve, but getting to grips with the basic features of any of them shouldn't be hard.

SDL has a good YouTube channel:
https://www.youtube.com/user/sdltrados
and here are some more pointers to getting help with Studio:
http://multifarious.filkin.com/sdl-sustenance/

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Ribbon Oct 20, 2014

Emma Goldsmith wrote:
Studio 2014 uses a ribbon...

Another reason not to upgrade to it unless absolutely necessary.

Emma Goldsmith
Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
Ribbon reply Oct 20, 2014

Samuel Murray wrote:

Emma Goldsmith wrote:

Why the ribbon allergy, Samuel? Have you tried it in Studio 2014?

Newbies have access to plenty of information in the ribbon, which feels familiar because it follows the Microsoft office layout.

Did you know, for instance, that the short cut to General Options in Word and Studio is identical? (Alt, F, T). It's identical because of the ribbon.

Drew MacFadyen
Drew MacFadyen  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 23:29
Spanish to English
+ ...
ProZ.com software comparison tool Oct 20, 2014

http://www.proz.com/software-comparison-tool

Has user reviews, links to forums, videos/training, information on software/hardware requirements and links to free trials.

Regards,

Drew

Selcuk Akyuz
Selcuk Akyuz  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 06:29
English to Turkish
+ ...
outdated Oct 20, 2014

Drew MacFadyen wrote:

Has user reviews, links to forums, videos/training, information on software/hardware requirements and links to free trials.

Regards,

Drew

Hi Drew,

There is no info on memoQ 2014 or Deja Vu X3, and surprisingly Heartsome and Studio 2011 are still there.

Moreover only 4 reviews for MetaTexis (not the oldest one but used by translators since 2002) and 35 reviews for Smartling (never heard about it).

Forums are the best place to learn/ask about CAT tools, software comparison tool looks like an abandoned project.

Selcuk

Miguel Carmona
Miguel Carmona  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 20:29
English to Spanish
The dreaded ribbon Oct 20, 2014

Samuel Murray wrote:

Ribbon

Emma Goldsmith wrote:

You got that right, Samuel.

Regarding Microsoft Office, I downgraded from Office 2003 to 2013. Huge mistake! Everything is out of place. For instance, if you select a table, or part of a table, in Word to convert it to text, guess what?, the proper command is not under a "Table" button, menu, etc., but first you have to go to the "Layout" tab (be careful, not "Page Layout"!) and then, under "Data" you will find "Convert to Text"! That is crazy!

Damned ribbons!

[Edited at 2014-10-20 18:38 GMT]

Dominique Pivard
Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 06:29
Finnish to French
Flaws in comparison tool Oct 20, 2014

Drew MacFadyen wrote:

The comparison tool may have started out of a good intention, but I wouldn't recommend it to someone new to CAT tools, as it has several serious flaws:

1) why are Fluency and GeoWorkZ (which both have a very small user base) considered "top tools", while Wordfast Anywhere and OmegaT (definitely used by far more people) are relegated to the secondary category?

2) How come Fluency and Smartling have more reviews than Trados and memoQ, which sell hundreds of copies in every TGB? Could the reviews have been "masterminded" by the companies behind these tools?

I maintain the best way to make one's mind about CAT tools is to try them out, and only use other people's recommendations as a way to short-list tools to try.

Eileen Cartoon
Eileen Cartoon  Identity Verified
Italian to English
For all you ribbon haters Oct 20, 2014

When I upgraded to Word 2013 from 2007 I was boggled by the ribbon but... after a little playing I now really like it.

Same thing with Studio 2014, there is so much at your finger tips, and you can hide it when you don't need it.

I'm not really tech savvy but... I have found over the years that with every new version of anything I use seems so awful when I first get it up and running but, in the long run it always turns out to be better in the long run. I think we all
... See more
When I upgraded to Word 2013 from 2007 I was boggled by the ribbon but... after a little playing I now really like it.

Same thing with Studio 2014, there is so much at your finger tips, and you can hide it when you don't need it.

I'm not really tech savvy but... I have found over the years that with every new version of anything I use seems so awful when I first get it up and running but, in the long run it always turns out to be better in the long run. I think we all tend to be afraid of anything new. It slows us down at first and we don't want distractions when we are working (like having to learn something new) but investing a little time goes a long way. And this is particularly true with such software. I have found that the time I "waste" at the beginning with a new program I make up later with speed.

Eileen
Collapse

Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 04:29
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Speak of the devil! Oct 21, 2014

What did I say a few posts back?

http://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/267781-java_7_update_55_build_170_55_b13_problems_with_multiterm.html
http://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/276187-multiterm_add_edit_not_working_after_installation_of_java_8_v_25.html

30 years of torture?

Funny how a huge company with revenue of £269.3 million (in 2012) can't create a Java program that doesn't crash every five seconds and with each tiny Java update, while Igor can make a program that never crashes all on his lonely. The world works in mysterious ways.

Michael

[Edited at 2014-10-21 01:08 GMT]

Jeff Whittaker
Jeff Whittaker  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2002)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Make sure you will use them... Oct 21, 2014

...before you spend the money.

I purchased Wordfast and Studio 2011 a few years ago and have rarely used either one.

2nl (X)
2nl (X)  Identity Verified
Netherlands
SDL is removing Java altogether Oct 21, 2014

Hello M. Beijer,

Michael Beijer wrote:

What did I say a few posts back?

This is to inform you that SDL is removing Java altogether.

HTH!

Hans

Marie-ever
Marie-ever  Identity Verified
Canada
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
And about Wordfast.. Oct 21, 2014

And does Wordfast for freelancers have a system to align bilingual texts and create a translation Memory?

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What is the best CAT software?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »