Thread poster: Selcuk Akyuz
RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
Local time: 12:07
English
Just to add to this... Jul 16, 2012

Hi Selcuk,

That's an interesting point of view and I have a question over how do you get paid for these segments?

I also thought I'd add an idea... just another workaround... using Studio.

1. Open the file in Studio
  2. Use this expression in the display filter ^(\S+\s+){0,2}\S+$ which just counts the spaces (so only approx. and not flawless)... so in this case looks for segments up ... See more
Hi Selcuk,

That's an interesting point of view and I have a question over how do you get paid for these segments?

I also thought I'd add an idea... just another workaround... using Studio.

1. Open the file in Studio
  2. Use this expression in the display filter ^(\S+\s+){0,2}\S+$ which just counts the spaces (so only approx. and not flawless)... so in this case looks for segments up to three words long and displays them
  3. Lock these segments and then use the SDLXLIFF to Legacy Converter to export everything apart from these locked segments as a TTX
  4. Analyse the TTX

Regards

Paul
Collapse

Selcuk Akyuz
Selcuk Akyuz  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 14:07
English to Turkish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
@Paul Mar 30, 2013

Hi Paul,

Sorry, I did not see your message so my reply comes after 8 months!

An experienced user of any CAT tool can find workarounds to make such an analysis excluding shorter matches but the problem is that we often receive analysis reports from our clients and POs are based on these analyses.

We receive tag-heavy files and inserting these tags, changing their places takes time but we are not paid for it.

We receive TMs with many short segme
... See more
Hi Paul,

Sorry, I did not see your message so my reply comes after 8 months!

An experienced user of any CAT tool can find workarounds to make such an analysis excluding shorter matches but the problem is that we often receive analysis reports from our clients and POs are based on these analyses.

We receive tag-heavy files and inserting these tags, changing their places takes time but we are not paid for it.

We receive TMs with many short segments which are considered (and paid ) as exact/fuzzy matches, but generally they are useless.

I am aware that agencies are the main clients for many CAT tools, and "some features" are developed for agencies only. But these features result in more work and less payment for translators. Some of us think MT will kill this profession. No, CAT tools will do!
Collapse

Selcuk Akyuz
Selcuk Akyuz  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 14:07
English to Turkish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
fuzzy matches or silly matches? Apr 28, 2016

70% match in a long sentence, say 15-20 words, is a fuzzy match (and it is sometimes helpful)

70% match in a 3-word segment is just a silly match!

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

A CAT tool for translators only?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »