Nicholas Krivenko
Nicholas Krivenko
Ireland
Local time: 08:39
German to English
+ ...
Apr 13, 2008

Hello All,

As far as I could determine there is no Trados or SDLX for MAC OS X Leopard. Am I right or merely looking in the wrong place? Are there other decent tools for a MAC?

Any URGENT help will be very much appreciated.

Thank you ever so much in advance,
kind regards,
Nicholas

Rodolfo Raya
Rodolfo Raya  Identity Verified
Local time: 04:39
English to Spanish
Get Swordfish Apr 13, 2008

Hi,

You can use Swordfish on Mac. It supports Trados files (TTX and uncleaned RTF) and many other formats.

Get it from http://www.maxprograms.com

Regards,
Rodolfo

[Edited at 2008-04-13 16:22]

M. Anna Kańduła
M. Anna Kańduła  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English to Polish
HS Xliff Translation Editor Apr 13, 2008

http://www.heartsome.net/EN/xlfedit.html

I use it every day. It's not so expencive and you can test trial for 30 days.

Anni

Marc P (X)
Marc P (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 09:39
German to English
+ ...
CAT tools for MAC OS X Leopard Apr 13, 2008

Besides Swordfish and Heartsome (already mentioned), OmegaT and Wordfast also run on the Mac, and a number of Mac users actually use them.

There are other CAT tools which in theory might run on the Mac, such as Transolution, Cafetrans and Esperantilo, but I'm not aware of any Mac users who use them.

Marc

Nicholas Krivenko
Nicholas Krivenko
Ireland
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you! Apr 13, 2008

Hi Anna, hi Rodolfo,

Thank you both for your quick reaction to my plea. I am absolutely delighted with my MacBook Pro, the best computer I ever had. It is far, far better than even the most expensive Sony Vaio I also own, but the problem is that there are many applications and programmes, which still support only Windows and Trados in one of them. The obvious solution is to run two machines, one with Windows for clients demanding Trados and one for personal enjoyment while working.<
... See more
Hi Anna, hi Rodolfo,

Thank you both for your quick reaction to my plea. I am absolutely delighted with my MacBook Pro, the best computer I ever had. It is far, far better than even the most expensive Sony Vaio I also own, but the problem is that there are many applications and programmes, which still support only Windows and Trados in one of them. The obvious solution is to run two machines, one with Windows for clients demanding Trados and one for personal enjoyment while working.

Thank you once again!
Kind regards,
Nicholas
Collapse

Nicholas Krivenko
Nicholas Krivenko
Ireland
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Which one is the best? Apr 13, 2008

Thank you, Marc!

This may be a silly question, for we all have our individual preferences, but I will still ask it: which of those mentioned is, in your opinion, the best? I do not care about the cost, just the quality.

Thanks in advance!
Nicholas

esperantisto
esperantisto  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:39
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
OmegaT is the best! Apr 13, 2008

And not only in MacOS

Nicholas Krivenko
Nicholas Krivenko
Ireland
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you! Apr 13, 2008

Never heard of it until now, but will certainly try out in a hurry. Thanks again!

Nicholas

Larissa Dinsley
Larissa Dinsley  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2003)
English to Russian
+ ...
Parallels Apr 13, 2008

Hi Nicholas,

Are you aware that you can install a programme like Parallels that allows you to run Windows on you Mac alongside your other applications? I use it for DejaVu X, a CAT tool I prefer. You can use with Trados if this is a CAT tool you are familiar with. I recently got iMac and am equally delighted with it.

[Edited at 2008-04-13 22:42]

Nicholas Krivenko
Nicholas Krivenko
Ireland
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Parallels Apr 13, 2008

Hi Larissa,

First, congratulations on your MAC! I think one can only be delighted after all the problems PC produce.

I thought about this too, but am a bit sceptical because the main reason for buying a MAC was to get away from Windows and never ever see it again (except in nightmares). I still have another 3 PCs gathering dust around the place, so might as well run two machines. Actually, I do not really prefer TRADOS, but a bunch of customers do.

Thanks
... See more
Hi Larissa,

First, congratulations on your MAC! I think one can only be delighted after all the problems PC produce.

I thought about this too, but am a bit sceptical because the main reason for buying a MAC was to get away from Windows and never ever see it again (except in nightmares). I still have another 3 PCs gathering dust around the place, so might as well run two machines. Actually, I do not really prefer TRADOS, but a bunch of customers do.

Thanks a lot!

Nicholas
Collapse

Mulyadi Subali
Mulyadi Subali  Identity Verified
Indonesia
Local time: 14:39
English to Indonesian
+ ...
trados + omegat Apr 14, 2008

i have trados and omegat installed on my blackbook. for most translation, i use omegat, which can run natively on mac, and the file can also be opened on windows version of omegat at my office. so it is very convenient and recommended.
for trados specific file, i use trados through vmware fusion. no problem so far.

[Edited at 2008-04-14 06:46]

Marc P (X)
Marc P (X)  Identity Verified
German to English
+ ...
Which one is the best? Apr 14, 2008

OmegaT, of course!

I am the co-ordinator of the OmegaT project, by the way.

Seriously: your question is like asking which is the "best" car or the "best" mobile phone. Wordfast, OmegaT and Heartsome all have a good number users, so for these people's purposes, they are presumably the best solution. (Swordfish only appeared relatively recently, but I don't doubt that it is a good product.) The various produ
... See more
OmegaT, of course!

I am the co-ordinator of the OmegaT project, by the way.

Seriously: your question is like asking which is the "best" car or the "best" mobile phone. Wordfast, OmegaT and Heartsome all have a good number users, so for these people's purposes, they are presumably the best solution. (Swordfish only appeared relatively recently, but I don't doubt that it is a good product.) The various products are all different; only you can find out which is best for your purposes. The best way to do that is to try them (or their demo/beta versions).

Marc
Collapse

Nicholas Krivenko
Nicholas Krivenko
Ireland
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
OmegaT / Trados Apr 14, 2008

Thanks guys!

As to the question, I built in a disclaimer from the get go knowing full well that the question sounded silly. All I wanted were opinions...

That vmware fusion thing + OmegaT seems to be the best solution. Thanks to all of you!

Regards,
Nick

Jean-Christophe Helary
Jean-Christophe Helary
Japan
Local time: 16:39
Japanese to French
+ ...
Appletrans Apr 14, 2008

A native application that is used by a number of users who fled Windows.

From what I heard, most of them use a combination of OmegaT/Appletrans/Hearstome ~ Swordfish.

You can use WordFast on Office 2004 (not 2008), but it is not considered very stable on Mac.

As for the virtualization solutions, they work, but I don't see the point.

To me they are worse than running Java and one of the above applications (except for Appletrans, the 3 app
... See more
A native application that is used by a number of users who fled Windows.

From what I heard, most of them use a combination of OmegaT/Appletrans/Hearstome ~ Swordfish.

You can use WordFast on Office 2004 (not 2008), but it is not considered very stable on Mac.

As for the virtualization solutions, they work, but I don't see the point.

To me they are worse than running Java and one of the above applications (except for Appletrans, the 3 apps mentioned are Java apps).

Windows as a "virtual machine" to run Windows apps costs more in terms of computer resources (RAM-CPU)/money (XP/Vista is not free)/adaptation (shifting between two GUI paradigms).

It may be a temporary solution to slowly shift toward Mac, but in the long term they are a waste of time and money.
Collapse

Conrado Portugal
Conrado Portugal
Germany
German to Spanish
+ ...
Parallels Desktop Apr 14, 2008

Hello, Nicholas,

as Larissa said, you can use Parallels Desktop on your Mac. With this programme and a Windows XP or Windows Vista license you can use ALL your Windows based programmes on your Mac (I recommend XP). It is extremly easy to install and to work with. I use Parallels Desktop with my new and sleek iMac and I am extremly happy. I realy recommend it to you.

Best regards

Conrado

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3 4] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

CAT tools for MAC OS X Leopard

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »