Thread poster: Urs Wolffers
Urs Wolffers
Urs Wolffers  Identity Verified
Switzerland
Local time: 10:59
English to German
+ ...
Jul 29, 2015

Good morning Can you please tell me where I find the "translate to fuzzy" comand in Cafetran? Thanks a lot Urs

Meta Arkadia
Meta Arkadia
Local time: 16:59
English to Indonesian
+ ...
Auto-Assemble? Jul 29, 2015

I'm not sure I understand what you mean. There's no command "Translate to Fuzzy." However, if you enabled Auto-Assemble in the Options, you will both get exact and fuzzy matches from TMX resources (TM and termbase) whenever you go to the next segment, whereas you can choose Translation | Translate Selected Segment in the Menu, to get the same for the current segment if you didn't enable Auto-Assemble. Tab delimited glossaries cannot trigger fuzzy matches.

Cheers,

Hans

Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 09:59
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
hmm Aug 2, 2015

Meta Arkadia wrote:

I'm not sure I understand what you mean. There's no command "Translate to Fuzzy." However, if you enabled Auto-Assemble in the Options, you will both get exact and fuzzy matches from TMX resources (TM and termbase) whenever you go to the next segment, whereas you can choose Translation | Translate Selected Segment in the Menu, to get the same for the current segment if you didn't enable Auto-Assemble. Tab delimited glossaries cannot trigger fuzzy matches.

Cheers,

Hans

Looks like CT doesn't have such a thing.

Interestingly,

Translation > Pre-translate from current segment
Translation > Pre-translate all segments
Translation > Pre-translate untranslated segments

… all three seem to do exactly this, but the results are not auto-inserted into all the segments within the relevant scope; instead, they are stored in RAM, and are immediately inserted when you reach the next segment (if you have "Edit > Options > Auto-assembling > Automatic insertion matches" switched on).

I suppose it would have to be a new feature:

"Translation > Translate (and insert) all segments" ??? Would this be useful? I suppose it might, to someone.

Meta Arkadia
Meta Arkadia
Local time: 16:59
English to Indonesian
+ ...
Nope Aug 2, 2015

Michael Beijer wrote:
… all three seem to do exactly this

This has nothing to do with fuzziness. Fuzziness is only available for TMX memories (for segments and terms), and is ruled by the settings in Edit | Options | Memory (where you can also set a large TMX file to Pretranslate Only, rather than the default "Automatically"). You can "pretranslate" without fuzziness using tab del glossaries only, or by using tab dels and TMX memories with the fuzziness threshold set to 100 and tab dels. It's AA.

"Translation > Translate (and insert) all segments"

It's already there, not surprisingly. CT can generate a *.pretranslation file. You can import that file, and run it against your document. But it's still not "translate to fuzziness" because fuzziness only relates to the settings for Memories, as I mentioned above.

Cheers,

Hans

2nl (X)
2nl (X)  Identity Verified
Netherlands
It goes vanzelf Aug 3, 2015

Meta Arkadia wrote:

I'm not sure I understand what you mean. There's no command "Translate to Fuzzy."

Possibly related options:

Auto-assembling insert threshold (%)
The field lets you define the accuracy of the Auto-assembling translation at which the program inserts it automatically into the target language box.

Automatic insertion of matches
When the option is on, CafeTran inserts the Auto-assembly result straight into the target language box.

(But Igor has to confirm this.)

On the other hand: I've never missed such a Translate till Fuzzy command. When I'm using a good TM for a follow-up project and I press Ctrl+Alt+Down, CafeTran very rapidly fills all segments with Exact Matches (just like Trados does) and stops ... at the very first Fuzzy Match. Afterwards it returns to inserting all EMs etc. etc.

Selcuk Akyuz
Selcuk Akyuz  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 12:59
English to Turkish
+ ...
only Igor knows Aug 3, 2015

2nl wrote:

(But Igor has to confirm this.)

This is a problem, this is the problem with CafeTran.

Igor Kmitowski
Igor Kmitowski  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2016)
English to Polish
+ ...
Jump over fuzzy matches. Aug 3, 2015

CafeTran can insert all exact matches via the menu command Translation > Insert all exact matches.

The Pretranslate command does not fill all the segments with fuzzy matches since most of the time, it is counterproductive when the user has to edit all those fuzzy results. Instead, the Pretranslate command prepares the TM matches in RAM so when you reach a given segment, the match for this segment is available immediately without any delay, no matter how huge your TM is.

... See more
CafeTran can insert all exact matches via the menu command Translation > Insert all exact matches.

The Pretranslate command does not fill all the segments with fuzzy matches since most of the time, it is counterproductive when the user has to edit all those fuzzy results. Instead, the Pretranslate command prepares the TM matches in RAM so when you reach a given segment, the match for this segment is available immediately without any delay, no matter how huge your TM is.

However, you can jump over fuzzy matches when you enable Translation > Jump over > Auto-assembling and fuzzy matches option. For this option, you can set the insert thresholds (%) in Edit > Options > Memory tab > Fuzzy match insert threshold and Auto-assembling insert threshold. After reaching the percentage accuracy threshold, the program will insert the match and jump automatically.

Igor

[Edited at 2015-08-03 12:08 GMT]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Natalie[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Translate to fuzzy

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »