Walter Blaser
Walter Blaser  Identity Verified
Switzerland
Local time: 00:08
French to German
+ ...
Feb 9, 2015

Hi

I am a beginner to using CafeTran. To get started, I visited CafeTran's help site. Unfortunately, it seems that the help does not apply anymore to the latest version. As examples, under the tile “Editing a Translation Memory”, it says that I should launch CafeTran and that this will then display the “Project Manager “ dialog, but that is not the case and I cannot find a “Project Manager” function in any of the menus. Also I cannot find any way to create a project alt
... See more
Hi

I am a beginner to using CafeTran. To get started, I visited CafeTran's help site. Unfortunately, it seems that the help does not apply anymore to the latest version. As examples, under the tile “Editing a Translation Memory”, it says that I should launch CafeTran and that this will then display the “Project Manager “ dialog, but that is not the case and I cannot find a “Project Manager” function in any of the menus. Also I cannot find any way to create a project although the help mentions a menu command “New project”, but no such command is available in my version (there are only commands to open or to close a project).

Let me precise that I am using the Windows version. Is there a tutorial or a manual to get started, which corresponds to the current version (CafeTran Espresso 2015)?

Walter
Collapse

Meta Arkadia
Meta Arkadia
Local time: 06:08
English to Indonesian
+ ...
Espresso 2015 Feb 9, 2015

Espresso 2015 is the very latest - and not even official - build. The Help Wiki / Manual is a project run by two volunteers, HansL and Michael Beijer. However, it's pretty much up-to-date. HansL wrote A First Look, and I wrote a kind of addition to it for Switchers.
Besides, there a
... See more
Espresso 2015 is the very latest - and not even official - build. The Help Wiki / Manual is a project run by two volunteers, HansL and Michael Beijer. However, it's pretty much up-to-date. HansL wrote A First Look, and I wrote a kind of addition to it for Switchers.
Besides, there actually is a New Project button in the dashboard that offers settings very similar to older versions:

But you are right, of course. A complete and up-to-date manual would be preferable. CT is developing at the speed of light, so that's very difficult to realise. In the meantime, please ask any question here or in the CT forum, [email protected]

Cheers,

Hans
Collapse

Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 23:08
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Hope this helps! Feb 9, 2015

Walter Blaser wrote:

Hi

I am a beginner to using CafeTran. To get started, I visited CafeTran's help site. Unfortunately, it seems that the help does not apply anymore to the latest version. As examples, under the tile “Editing a Translation Memory”, it says that I should launch CafeTran and that this will then display the “Project Manager “ dialog, but that is not the case and I cannot find a “Project Manager” function in any of the menus.

Also I cannot find any way to create a project although the help mentions a menu command “New project”, but no such command is available in my version (there are only commands to open or to close a project).

Let me precise that I am using the Windows version. Is there a tutorial or a manual to get started, which corresponds to the current version (CafeTran Espresso 2015)?

Walter

Hi Walter,

Yes, the help is outdated here and there. That's because it's being written by volunteers (well, two actually: Hans Lenting and myself) and Igor (CafeTran's developer) adds features at an alarming rate.

When you launch the latest version of CT, you will see the following (unless you have changed the layout via View > Window layout):

some_text

The old "Project Manager" is now what is called the "Dashboard" in my screenshot.

--------------------------
Regarding the "New project" command, have a look at this screenshot:

some_text

--------------------------
Hans recently created this nice step-by-step tutorial which should correspond to the latest version:

http://cafetran.wikidot.com/first-look-at-cafetran

Hope some of this helps!

Remember you can also ask any question you might have over in the CT mailing list @ https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/cafetranslators

Michael

2nl (X)
2nl (X)  Identity Verified
Netherlands
The First look is up to date Feb 9, 2015

Michael Beijer wrote:

Hans recently created this nice step-by-step tutorial which should correspond to the latest version:

http://cafetran.wikidot.com/first-look-at-cafetran

Thanks for pointing that out, Michael. I really expected that novice users would click the first link on the first page of the Help . Perhaps I should make it a little bigger.

Walter, please make sure that you install the 64-bit version of Java, when you want to work with large files (TMs, XLIFFs etc.).

2nl (X)
Netherlands
Dashboard is Drag and Drop sensitive Feb 9, 2015

Hi Michael,

The Dashboard is fully drag & drop sensitive. When you drag a TMX file on the Project group, a dialogue box is displayed that asks you whether you want to use the TMX as a TM or to edit it.

Cheers,

Hans

Walter Blaser
Switzerland
French to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks to both of you Feb 9, 2015

Hans and Michael

.. for these helpful hints.

I'll give a look to the "First look", which I indeed did not spot.

I finally found out how to open my TMX from the dashboard and it worked fine for one file, but the other large one stalled at 460'00' TUs. It did not give any error, just simply hogged up CF for minutes without progressing, until I killed the task. No idea why this happened.
I do use the 64 bit version and I have increased to Java memory t
... See more
Hans and Michael

.. for these helpful hints.

I'll give a look to the "First look", which I indeed did not spot.

I finally found out how to open my TMX from the dashboard and it worked fine for one file, but the other large one stalled at 460'00' TUs. It did not give any error, just simply hogged up CF for minutes without progressing, until I killed the task. No idea why this happened.
I do use the 64 bit version and I have increased to Java memory to 4096 (my PC has 16 GB of RAM). Is this too much for Java?

One important question: I still use the unlicensed version. How is this limited in functionality? The website stated, one could only open TMs with 50 TUs, but I managed to load a TMX that is much larger.
Could the unlicensed version explain the hog?

I sent an e-mail to CF support asking for a time-limited license code, but I am still waiting for the answer.

First impression is that this tool is really powerful, I look forward to discover all its capabilities. My main concern at this time is cleaning up of large TMs (and it is difficult to find editors that can handle very large files)

Beste groeten uit Zwitserland.
Walter
Collapse

2nl (X)
Netherlands
Give CafeTran more RAM Feb 9, 2015

Walter Blaser wrote:

I do use the 64 bit version and I have increased to Java memory to 4096 (my PC has 16 GB of RAM). Is this too much for Java?

I'd close all other apps, reboot Windows, assign 14K RAM to CafeTran and restart CafeTran, for this specific task.

Don't know about the license question.

Walter Blaser
Switzerland
French to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
How much RAM did you mean? Feb 9, 2015

2nl wrote:

...assign 14K RAM to CafeTran .....

Hi Hans

What do you mean by "14K". The Memory option in CT takes figures in MB, such as 512, 1024, 2048, 4096, which corresponds to 512 MB, 1, 2 and 4 GB respectively. So what do you mean by "14K"?

I guess you don't mean 14'000 MB, which would be 14 GB!

Walter

Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 23:08
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Hi Walter, Feb 9, 2015

Walter Blaser wrote:

2nl wrote:

...assign 14K RAM to CafeTran .....

Hi Hans

What do you mean by "14K". The Memory option in CT takes figures in MB, such as 512, 1024, 2048, 4096, which corresponds to 512 MB, 1, 2 and 4 GB respectively. So what do you mean by "14K"?

I guess you don't mean 14'000 MB, which would be 14 GB!

Walter

I currently have mine set to "15000", but then I have 32GB of RAM.

One question, are you certain CT is actually being run in a 64-bit process? Have a look in Process Explorer just to double check. Sometimes a person will have several versions of Java installed and not notice that CT is running in the wrong one (happened to me in the past).

I don't think the unlicensed version is the cause of your trouble, but I can't be sure. Hopefully Igor will answer your email soon. He usually does very quickly. The support email is: [email protected], btw. I emailed him something yesterday and still haven't gotten a reply. I have a feeling he is busy doing something.

There might also be something wrong with the relevant TMX. Which tool was it created in? I regularly find that TMXs generated in Studio have all kinds of problems. You could also send it to one of us so we can check it, if that's a possibility. My email address is [email protected].

It is indeed a very powerful CAT tool. I hope these minor niggles haven't put you off all too much. It took me a while to get the hang of it (and the lack of an up-to-date manual can be a bit of pain), but when I did there was no looking back;)

Michael

Walter Blaser
Switzerland
French to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
It does run in 64 bit Feb 10, 2015

Hi Michael

Thanks for your assistance.

In the meantime, I received the activation file from Igor and activated my copy of CT.
I checked, it runs in 64 bit mode.

I'll do a check again with the large file, tweaking the memory settings and let you know.

However, there is one big drawback: I just learned from Igor that the QA functions do not work yet on TMX files. Apparently, he scheduled this for the next major release. Unfortunately there
... See more
Hi Michael

Thanks for your assistance.

In the meantime, I received the activation file from Igor and activated my copy of CT.
I checked, it runs in 64 bit mode.

I'll do a check again with the large file, tweaking the memory settings and let you know.

However, there is one big drawback: I just learned from Igor that the QA functions do not work yet on TMX files. Apparently, he scheduled this for the next major release. Unfortunately there is no warning or error message informing the user about this, CT just ends with a message stating that the QA check was executed:-).

As my main objective (at least for now) in using CafeTran is to clean up TMs (in form of TMX files), this means that the SW in its current state will not be of great use to me.

Regards
Walter
Collapse

2nl (X)
Netherlands
I'm sorry... Feb 10, 2015

Hi Walter,

I'm really sorry. I did test the checks from the Task menu but I didn't test the checks from the QA menu for TMX files. Stupid mistake. Never assume that something works. Always test it.

I hear that Igor will deliver QA support for TMX as soon as possible.

Cheers,

Hans

2nl (X)
Netherlands
Implementation of the QA tasks for TMX memories in the edit mode Feb 28, 2015

Walter Blaser wrote:

However, there is one big drawback: I just learned from Igor that the QA functions do not work yet on TMX files. Apparently, he scheduled this for the next major release. Unfortunately there is no warning or error message informing the user about this, CT just ends with a message stating that the QA check was executed:-).

As my main objective (at least for now) in using CafeTran is to clean up TMs (in form of TMX files), this means that the SW in its current state will not be of great use to me.

Walter, the official release is imminent now. I've read the ChangeLog and noticed this addition that might be relevant for you:

Implementation of the QA tasks for TMX memories in the edit mode:
- Check spelling in target segments
- Tags check
- Leading and trailing spaces check
- Brackets check
- Double spaces check
- At tags spaces check
- Numbers check
- Empty segments check
- Target the same as source check
- End punctuation check
- Initial capitalization check
- Double words check

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Natalie[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Help does not match the current version

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »