Juliano Martins  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 00:05
Member (2008)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Good questions Apr 29, 2015

I will let you all know as soon as I get more information.

Gabriel Caetano
Gabriel Caetano  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 23:05
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Using babelcube as a career Kickoff May 1, 2015

Hey guys!
I just bumped into Juliano's posting about babelcube, read it and would like to do a more specific question rather than "What do you think about babelcube?".

Recently, I decided to steer my career into translation, specifically books. As our fellow colleague Kuochoe Nikoi-Kotei mentioned, would it be a good kickoff point for a book translator career?

The thinking process behind it, at least for me is if I want to get into this market, no real good/big
... See more
Hey guys!
I just bumped into Juliano's posting about babelcube, read it and would like to do a more specific question rather than "What do you think about babelcube?".

Recently, I decided to steer my career into translation, specifically books. As our fellow colleague Kuochoe Nikoi-Kotei mentioned, would it be a good kickoff point for a book translator career?

The thinking process behind it, at least for me is if I want to get into this market, no real good/big company will give me a shot without receiving proof of my capabilities. The idea then was to start translating via Babelcube to compose a portfolio so to speak.

What do you guys think of it? is there any smartest way to do it?
Collapse

Juliano Martins
Brazil
Member (2008)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Good point May 2, 2015

In a way, that's exactly what I am doing. I am meeting authors who can introduce me to other authors, and so on. As mentioned before, nothing prevents the partnerships formed inside babelcube to evolve into something outside the website. Also I am creating a portfolio and a network. I am loving the experience and optimistic about the results.

Juliano Martins
Brazil
Member (2008)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
My first book May 19, 2015

Hi people,

I have just finished translating my first book. It has been a great experience, and I have learned a lot. It is now in the process of being published in several online platforms. Let’s wait for the results on the sales. The name of the book in English is “The Wedding Favor”, and the author is Caroline Andrews.

Here is the message the author sent me about the comments from one of the proofreaders: “I'm happy to say that she sent me a message praising y
... See more
Hi people,

I have just finished translating my first book. It has been a great experience, and I have learned a lot. It is now in the process of being published in several online platforms. Let’s wait for the results on the sales. The name of the book in English is “The Wedding Favor”, and the author is Caroline Andrews.

Here is the message the author sent me about the comments from one of the proofreaders: “I'm happy to say that she sent me a message praising your work, saying that it was natural sounding, very accurate and extremely well done. Wonderful!”

A few weeks later, she told me the following: “I've also had a few author friends express an interest in working with you after I shared what a wonderful translator I was working with, so please don't hesitate to get in touch when you're available.”

And here is her comment about the translation of the book: “I highly recommend Juliano as a Portuguese translator. He was an absolute professional throughout the entire process. More than a few native Portuguese speakers assured me that his translation work was of the highest quality. I couldn't have asked for a better publishing partner and I recommend him without hesitation.”

Some links:
Kobo: https://store.kobobooks.com/pt-BR/ebook/apenas-diga-sim
Scribd: https://pt.scribd.com/book/265666306/Apenas-diga-sim
Apple: https://itunes.apple.com/us/book/id996120661

I am already working on my second book from a different author.
Collapse

Hebat-Allah El Ashmawy
Hebat-Allah El Ashmawy  Identity Verified
Egypt
Local time: 05:05
Italian to Arabic
+ ...
Congratulations May 19, 2015

Juliano Martins wrote:

Hi people,

Here is the message the author sent me about the comments from one of the proofreaders: “I'm happy to say that she sent me a message praising your work, saying that it was natural sounding, very accurate and extremely well done. Wonderful!”

A few weeks later, she told me the following: “I've also had a few author friends express an interest in working with you after I shared what a wonderful translator I was working with, so please don't hesitate to get in touch when you're available.”

And here is her comment about the translation of the book: “I highly recommend Juliano as a Portuguese translator. He was an absolute professional throughout the entire process. More than a few native Portuguese speakers assured me that his translation work was of the highest quality. I couldn't have asked for a better publishing partner and I recommend him without hesitation.”

Some links:
Kobo: https://store.kobobooks.com/pt-BR/ebook/apenas-diga-sim
Scribd: https://pt.scribd.com/book/265666306/Apenas-diga-sim
Apple: https://itunes.apple.com/us/book/id996120661

Hebat-Allah El Ashmawy
Hebat-Allah El Ashmawy  Identity Verified
Egypt
Italian to Arabic
+ ...
Congratulations May 19, 2015

Congratulations. As I have already done my first book too, I agree it is a great experience.
I feel very satisfied with the nice comments of my readers.
https://www.scribd.com/book/258659462/النغمة-النشاز

<
... See more
Congratulations. As I have already done my first book too, I agree it is a great experience.
I feel very satisfied with the nice comments of my readers.
https://www.scribd.com/book/258659462/النغمة-النشاز

https://www.overdrive.com/media/2180163/النغمة-النشاز

http://www.inktera.com/store/title/f66f2485-ca98-4859-afe0-7a8d1a3d7615

Meanwhile, it seems that you are a very good and quick translator! I wish you good luck and prosperity.Please let me know about the sales status and the payment issue!

Good Job Juliano.
Hebat

[Edited at 2015-05-19 15:10 GMT]
Collapse

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 04:05
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
A 146-page book? May 19, 2015

Juliano Martins wrote:
I have just finished translating my first book.

Well, that was certainly quick!
Let’s wait for the results on the sales.

Absolutely. Although I wish you well, I'll reserve my congratulations for when you confirm you've received an amount of money worth the time you've spent.

Before you've seen a cent from the last one? Out of curiosity (and perhaps envy) may I ask what you're living on? Air?

Juliano Martins
Brazil
Member (2008)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Yes, a 40K words book May 19, 2015

Hi Sheila,

Actually, I could have finished this book in 10 days or less (without compromising the quality, of course). If I had worked only in this book, the quality could have been even better.

The problem is that I still have many clients to work for. And I have to do other projects simultaneously. I can do around 130K words a month (my average for the last 6 years, if you want to know). As I have explained in the beginning of this topic, my plan is to continue workin
... See more
Hi Sheila,

Actually, I could have finished this book in 10 days or less (without compromising the quality, of course). If I had worked only in this book, the quality could have been even better.

The problem is that I still have many clients to work for. And I have to do other projects simultaneously. I can do around 130K words a month (my average for the last 6 years, if you want to know). As I have explained in the beginning of this topic, my plan is to continue working for my usual clients and during my free time I will do these books, since I don’t know what the results will be.

No, I am not living on air. I am earning money from the other 150 projects that I am assigned every month. I have also explained it in the previous comments.

Now I am doing a 103K words book, and then I still have one with 60K words. I wish I could only do these books. It would be much better, I would have more fun. Let’s see in the next months.

For the sake of argument, even if I didn’t earn any cent from these books, it could still be my hobby, couldn’t it? People play soccer, play tennis or go to the movies for free or even paying for it. So…

Also, I could have won the lottery in the last months and be rich enough to do whatever I wanted for free. Unfortunately, this is not the case. Anyway, I am working and being paid to work, and in my free time I translate books, with a good chance of seeing money in the end.

Best regards!
Collapse

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member because it was not in line with site rule
Juliano Martins
Brazil
Member (2008)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I am no clown May 19, 2015

Hi Frankie,

She praised me because my work has a high quality. I don’t have to prove you anything. You can have someone read the book and ask them what they think about the translation. I am very satisfied with the result. And with the word “satisfied” I mean that: Probably a Jedi Master native in Brazilian Portuguese with a doctorate in Portuguese language and literature would have a really hard time to find any slightest mistake in my translation (if it exists at all). This
... See more
Hi Frankie,

She praised me because my work has a high quality. I don’t have to prove you anything. You can have someone read the book and ask them what they think about the translation. I am very satisfied with the result. And with the word “satisfied” I mean that: Probably a Jedi Master native in Brazilian Portuguese with a doctorate in Portuguese language and literature would have a really hard time to find any slightest mistake in my translation (if it exists at all). This can be an exaggeration, but very close to the truth.

You can also find translators at Babelcube who have negative feedbacks. This alone disproves your argument of anyone who works “for free” is praised no matter what.

No, she didn’t add the “best translator in the word” part. But you can ask her or any of my clients. Yes, I am responsible and thoughtful towards my profession and community.

Regarding the 75K for next week, sorry, I will have to decline it. I am already booked. And this volume is impossible for one week. You should know that. If you give me a more realistic deadline, sure, why not. I’d be glad to help you! Just let me know.

You love Brazil? Nice. Please let me know whenever you come here. We could meet. See you!
Collapse

Juliano Martins
Brazil
Member (2008)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Some copies sold so far May 26, 2015

Just a little update... After 1 week, 6 copies of the book were sold ($2.99 each). Who is working for free now, huh? I will let you know the new status in the next weeks. See you!

Jeff Whittaker
Jeff Whittaker  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2002)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Scribd is a free website May 27, 2015

You can sign up for a free one-month trial and download all the books you want for free.

Diana Coada (X)
Diana Coada (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 04:05
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Enjoy your pennies, if you ever even receive them. May 28, 2015

Juliano Martins wrote:

Just a little update... After 1 week, 6 copies of the book were sold ($2.99 each). Who is working for free now, huh? I will let you know the new status in the next weeks. See you!

I'm simply lost for words.

Preston Decker
Preston Decker  Identity Verified
United States
Chinese to English
Why the outrage? May 28, 2015

Just finished reading through this thread and I'm a bit puzzled as to the outrage over Juliano's book translation. As Juliano stated many times, this project was essentially taken on as a hobby for him. I'm frankly impressed that he likes translation enough to translate in his spare time.

In terms of the business side of things, I'll only say that if Juliano's translation is actually of good quality I think this was a pretty good investment of his time. There's a lot to be said for
... See more
Just finished reading through this thread and I'm a bit puzzled as to the outrage over Juliano's book translation. As Juliano stated many times, this project was essentially taken on as a hobby for him. I'm frankly impressed that he likes translation enough to translate in his spare time.

In terms of the business side of things, I'll only say that if Juliano's translation is actually of good quality I think this was a pretty good investment of his time. There's a lot to be said for portfolio building, and Juliano is one step closer to being able to land an actual paying book translation project than if he had just sat and watched TV while not translating.

If Juliano is able to make 5-6 K a month AND translate books in his free time then all the more credit to him.
Collapse

chaloide

Gudrun Wolfrath
Gudrun Wolfrath  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Why? May 28, 2015

Preston Decker wrote:

In terms of the business side of things, I'll only say that if Juliano's translation is actually of good quality I think this was a pretty good investment of his time. There's a lot to be said for portfolio building, and Juliano is one step closer to being able to land an actual paying book translation project than if he had just sat and watched TV while not translating.

If Juliano is able to make 5-6 K a month AND translate books in his free time then all the more credit to him.

Because it means supporting dumping prices. But good luck anyway.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What do you think about babelcube?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »