Ananthalakshmi
Ananthalakshmi
India
Local time: 10:41
German to English
+ ...
Nov 25, 2014

Dear fellow translators,

I am from India and I have done a masters in Translation Studies at Uni Mainz with German and English as my languages. I have been considered for an in-house translator position by one of the major Swiss financial institutions for their local office in Poland. I have 6+ years of language-editing experience (finance texts/English) plus around 3 years' full-time experience as a technical translator (DE-EN).

Can anyone tell me how much I could exp
... See more
Dear fellow translators,

I am from India and I have done a masters in Translation Studies at Uni Mainz with German and English as my languages. I have been considered for an in-house translator position by one of the major Swiss financial institutions for their local office in Poland. I have 6+ years of language-editing experience (finance texts/English) plus around 3 years' full-time experience as a technical translator (DE-EN).

Can anyone tell me how much I could expect to be paid for a full-time position as a German-English Translator in this instance? I would appreciate any help from my polish friends.

Thanks a ton for taking time to read this and respond!

Anantha
Collapse

Tomasz Sienicki
Tomasz Sienicki  Identity Verified
Denmark
Local time: 07:11
Member (2007)
Danish to Polish
+ ...
Try the Polish forum Nov 25, 2014

Try asking this in the Polish forum.

Phil Hand
Phil Hand  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 13:11
Chinese to English
Not necessarily a Polish rate Nov 26, 2014

You're going to an international office to do an international job. Your pay won't necessarily reflect local rates. If it were me, I'd be asking for a decent international salary. (Think 40K EUR.)

Balasubramaniam L.
Balasubramaniam L.  Identity Verified
India
Member (2006)
English to Hindi
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Europe is a very diverse continent Nov 26, 2014

Parts of it are very affluent like Germany or UK, while others are economically languishing - like Greece, Italy, Czehoslovakia, Slovania, etc. Poland seems to be somewhere in the middle. I believe it has a very vibrant economy which is growing very fast. It is considered to be one of those regions of Europe where operational costs are cheap, which is one reason why many multinationals are opening shop there.

So I would not expect to be paid high-end European salaries in a place lik
... See more
Parts of it are very affluent like Germany or UK, while others are economically languishing - like Greece, Italy, Czehoslovakia, Slovania, etc. Poland seems to be somewhere in the middle. I believe it has a very vibrant economy which is growing very fast. It is considered to be one of those regions of Europe where operational costs are cheap, which is one reason why many multinationals are opening shop there.

So I would not expect to be paid high-end European salaries in a place like Poland.

One way of looking at it would be to consider your living expenses - such as whether you are going to live there alone or with your family, whether children's education is involved etc, and build an expectation based on that.

I have no first hand experience of Poland or Europe, so I can't suggest a figure myself. This can be best done by Poland-based colleagues.
Collapse

Alexander Vareiko
Alexander Vareiko  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 07:11
English to Russian
+ ...
It won't be relative high Nov 26, 2014

Salary levels in Poland in generally are not high as in Germany. Despite that this is international Swiss company, I think they will pay less than in Switzerland.

Ananthalakshmi
Ananthalakshmi
India
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Dec 2, 2014

Dear all,

Thank you for your responses. They were very helpful.

Regards,

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Salary levels in Poland for DE-EN translators

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »