Translator not delivering
Thread poster: Vince1974
Frankie JB
Frankie JB
France
English to French
+ ...
Competency and discretion are friends Aug 26, 2014

Just dropping a line to say that it's not very sound to think that "if a translator has a ton of positive WWAs he must be good"... Beyond the facts that marketeers have more than one (unethical) tricks in their bags (Facebook likes are bought now e.g.) and that all WWAs don't have the same value (very demanding agency client vs. uneducated client or "low-cost, low-standard acquaintances" praising each other e.g.), it's known that in walks of life the most competent are not those who shout the lo... See more
Just dropping a line to say that it's not very sound to think that "if a translator has a ton of positive WWAs he must be good"... Beyond the facts that marketeers have more than one (unethical) tricks in their bags (Facebook likes are bought now e.g.) and that all WWAs don't have the same value (very demanding agency client vs. uneducated client or "low-cost, low-standard acquaintances" praising each other e.g.), it's known that in walks of life the most competent are not those who shout the louder, either because they don't need to, or because they don't want to (a form of humility perhaps). I'll go so far as to say at some point there could be a negative correlation between the number of WWAs translators have on ProZ and the quality standard they hold themselves to.

Another line to say that I agree with others who said a commitment is a commitment. Notwithstanding exceptional cases, whatever the circumstances (including personal mishaps), if you commit you have to deliver. No excuse! And giving no news is an aggravating circumstance!

Let's hope s/he's alright, first, then let's hope you won't forget to leave a feedback in due time if it appears s/he can't provide valid explanations!
Collapse

Vince1974
Vince1974  Identity Verified
Ireland
Local time: 11:07
English to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
No phone number Aug 26, 2014

I am quite sure I saw a phone number at some stage but I can't seem to find one for him now, therefore unable to ring him, wherever he is. All our communication has been through email and on Skype he just accepted my contact request.

Anyway, I'm going to award this job to another translator and forget about this particular guy.

Thanks for all the input!

Edward Potter
Edward Potter  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 12:07
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Update Aug 29, 2014

What happened in the end?

Vince1974
Vince1974  Identity Verified
Ireland
English to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Slow client Aug 30, 2014

In the end I advised my client of the unfortunate delay due to the non-delivery of the original translator (who has still not been in touch) and I proposed another translator through ProZ. The client informed me that he will decide on Monday whether to go ahead with the suggested option.

Konstantin Stäbler
Konstantin Stäbler  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Sounds like something more serious than a non-delivery Sep 1, 2014

Based on the fact that he still hasn't got back to you, I'd say there is something seriously wrong on the other side. It wouldn't be the first translator to become seriously ill or to die while working on a job.

Christel Zipfel
Christel Zipfel  Identity Verified
Member (2004)
Italian to German
+ ...
I have heard from two or three colleagues Sep 1, 2014

throughout the years that their translator disappeared and never came back. I found this each time very puzzling and bewildering. Who will ever know what happened? I always hope they won a lottery or had an otherwise very agreeable upheaval of their life, but still it wouldn't be very professional not to show up anymore.

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Professionals do not disappear Sep 2, 2014

Unless dead or dying, a professional translator does communicate with customers of jobs in process in case of a serious situation. And even if dead or dying, a professional translator has some kind of arrangement for some other person to contact customers and inform them of the situation, minding urgent administrative matters (paying suppliers and taxes, for instance), etc.

I have heard this story from several customers of mine who hired translators who then disappeared, probably be
... See more
Unless dead or dying, a professional translator does communicate with customers of jobs in process in case of a serious situation. And even if dead or dying, a professional translator has some kind of arrangement for some other person to contact customers and inform them of the situation, minding urgent administrative matters (paying suppliers and taxes, for instance), etc.

I have heard this story from several customers of mine who hired translators who then disappeared, probably because they bit off more than they could chew. Unfortunately there is a certain type of person who tend to cease to communicate in embarrasing or challenging situations. They are out there!
Collapse

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
Do we? Sep 2, 2014

Tomás Cano Binder, CT wrote:
even if dead or dying, a professional translator has some kind of arrangement for some other person to contact customers and inform them of the situation, minding urgent administrative matters (paying suppliers and taxes, for instance), etc.

I agree that we'd move heaven and earth to reply if we were able but to be honest, if I were dead or dying I don't think my clients would hear much for some while. I suppose it would be left to my husband to contact them, and I can't see him giving my clients much of a thought in the first few days or even weeks. I don't have suppliers, but I think Mr Tax Man might have to cool his heels a bit, too.

I don't know any translators on my island and I imagine the person would need to be in situ to get files off my computer. Am I supposed to be nominating someone?

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
An "emergency kit"? Sep 2, 2014

Sheila Wilson wrote:
I don't know any translators on my island and I imagine the person would need to be in situ to get files off my computer. Am I supposed to be nominating someone?

I know what you mean. Maybe I am exaggerating a bit -- after all, once we are dead, we will not worry much about earthly matters, will we --, but it would not be a bad idea for those who work alone to have an "emergency kit" with passwords, information about bank accounts, insurance policies, credit cards, existence of a will and where, and the like, as well as information about how to contact customers in case something bad happens, so that our loved ones can take care of things and inform those concerned.

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
I guess you're right Sep 2, 2014

it would not be a bad idea for those who work alone to have an "emergency kit" with passwords, information about bank accounts, insurance policies, credit cards, existence of a will and where, and the like, as well as information about how to contact customers in case something bad happens, so that our loved ones can take care of things and inform those concerned.

I can see the need. One more thing to add to the "to do" list, then! I think I might just risk putting that one off until mañana though, as one does here.

Lincoln Hui
Lincoln Hui  Identity Verified
Hong Kong
Local time: 18:07
Chinese to English
+ ...
My emergency kit Sep 2, 2014

Sheila Wilson wrote:

I know what you mean. Maybe I am exaggerating a bit -- after all, once we are dead, we will not worry much about earthly matters, will we --, but it would not be a bad idea for those who work alone to have an "emergency kit" with passwords, information about bank accounts, insurance policies, credit cards, existence of a will and where, and the like, as well as information about how to contact customers in case something bad happens, so that our loved ones can take care of things and inform those concerned.

...involves wiping everything off my hard disk.

Especially my D:/ Drive.

[Edited at 2014-09-02 13:58 GMT]

Rita Pang
Rita Pang  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 06:07
Member (2011)
Chinese to English
+ ...

I most certainly do Sep 3, 2014

Sheila Wilson wrote:

I have an alias email thing where I have authorized a friend of mine to use. She is also someone I collaborate with occasionally on translation projects. In times where I am not reachable my clients can connect with her. I do have this "kit" thing with a family member. Plus, being an avid backpacker, I actually am thinking of drawing up a will this year - you never know.

Ine Ramaekers
Ine Ramaekers  Identity Verified
Belgium
English to Dutch
+ ...
Had this happen twice... Oct 27, 2014

I've had translators disappear on me twice.

Once it was someone from Proz with a bunch of good reviews, he turned out to have had computer problems and I couldn't contact him in any way (didn't have his phone number). He did in the end deliver a good translation, just a day or two after the actual deadline (for a very small job, so it was annoying, but luckily didn't have any huge consequences).

Another time I hired someone who had applied to my company when I just star
... See more

Once it was someone from Proz with a bunch of good reviews, he turned out to have had computer problems and I couldn't contact him in any way (didn't have his phone number). He did in the end deliver a good translation, just a day or two after the actual deadline (for a very small job, so it was annoying, but luckily didn't have any huge consequences).

Another time I hired someone who had applied to my company when I just started, good-looking resume, graduated from the same school as I did, well-written e-mail. This was about a year after I'd gotten his application, and he was very responsive, so I thought all was well. This was for my best client too. I think the deadline was on a Sunday noon, as I had to deliver to the client on Monday, and I asked Sunday around 10am if the translation was coming along as planned, he said "Yeah, I've typed everything up Friday evening, I just need to do some stylistic tweaks. Would have done it yesterday, but I've been in bed with a fever (a translator can never fall ill)".

So I tell him: Well, I need to do a final revision anyway, just send it to me, and I'll finish it.

Then: no more replies to any of my mails. Sunday night, I try and call him, the number turns out to not exist. I then start to grow suspicious and start translating the text myself.

Monday morning, I get a mail from his supposed wife saying that he is very ill and that he's sent the text to a British colleague who will finish it and send it to me on Monday.

I explain that I offered to finish it myself and got no reply, and that none of my attempts to contact him worked. I also say that I need the text by Monday noon at the latest.

The wife mails back Monday evening saying the colleague couldn't finish the text as promised, and that they regret it and will definitely have the text by Tuesday morning. She also mentions her husband had to spend the day in the hospital for a starting pneumonia.

I then decided to translate everything myself and tell them it is simply too late, and I won't be able to pay them if I don't get the translation in time, as I'd already offered on multiple occasions to just work with the preliminary translation.

I then get a final email the next day saying that the colleague didn't deliver as promised and they were very angry with him and would never work with him again.

I let them know I've already sent in the translation, as I couldn't keep my client waiting, and I am very unhappy with their services.

Never heard from them again. I also don't get why anyone would do this, it is obvious they never intended to translate the text in the first place, and it's not like they could get any info on my client from the text I sent them and I would never pay them without getting a translation.
Collapse

jyuan_us
jyuan_us  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2005)
English to Chinese
+ ...
Interesting Oct 27, 2014

Ine Ramaekers wrote:

Another time I hired someone who had applied to my company when I just started, good-looking resume, graduated from the same school as I did, well-written e-mail. This was about a year after I'd gotten his application, and he was very responsive, so I thought all was well. This was for my best client too. I think the deadline was on a Sunday noon, as I had to deliver to the client on Monday, and I asked Sunday around 10am if the translation was coming along as planned, he said "Yeah, I've typed everything up Friday evening, I just need to do some stylistic tweaks. Would have done it yesterday, but I've been in bed with a fever (a translator can never fall ill)".

So I tell him: Well, I need to do a final revision anyway, just send it to me, and I'll finish it.

Then: no more replies to any of my mails. Sunday night, I try and call him, the number turns out to not exist. I then start to grow suspicious and start translating the text myself.

Monday morning, I get a mail from his supposed wife saying that he is very ill and that he's sent the text to a British colleague who will finish it and send it to me on Monday.

I explain that I offered to finish it myself and got no reply, and that none of my attempts to contact him worked. I also say that I need the text by Monday noon at the latest.

The wife mails back Monday evening saying the colleague couldn't finish the text as promised, and that they regret it and will definitely have the text by Tuesday morning. She also mentions her husband had to spend the day in the hospital for a starting pneumonia.

I then decided to translate everything myself and tell them it is simply too late, and I won't be able to pay them if I don't get the translation in time, as I'd already offered on multiple occasions to just work with the preliminary translation.

I then get a final email the next day saying that the colleague didn't deliver as promised and they were very angry with him and would never work with him again.

I let them know I've already sent in the translation, as I couldn't keep my client waiting, and I am very unhappy with their services.

Never heard from them again. I also don't get why anyone would do this, it is obvious they never intended to translate the text in the first place, and it's not like they could get any info on my client from the text I sent them and I would never pay them without getting a translation.

But what does this mean "and it's not like they could get any info on my client from the text I sent them"? I just didn't understand why you were mentioning this. What is your point here?

[Edited at 2014-10-27 20:08 GMT]

jyuan_us
jyuan_us  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2005)
English to Chinese
+ ...
Can the OP share what eventually happened? Oct 28, 2014

It would be better to let all of us know the result.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Translator not delivering

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »