Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Lionbridge and IBM have announced an alliance to beat their competitors...
Thread poster: Pablo Bouvier
Pablo Bouvier
Pablo Bouvier  Identity Verified
Local time: 06:16
German to Spanish
+ ...
Apr 28, 2010

This afternoon I received this mail from an automated e-mailer. I publish it here, just to let you know. In my opinion, they violate every one of the customers confidentiality laws of all people who have not expressly given his permission to publicly share their translation memories and each of the European / USA antitrust laws. Sentences like the underligned are worth to read:

Dear XXXXXXX XXXXXXX,

violate every one of the customers confidentiality laws of all people who have not expressly given his permission to publicly share their translation memories and each of the European / USA antitrust laws. Sentences like the underligned are worth to read:

Dear XXXXXXX XXXXXXX,

Lionbridge and IBM have announced an alliance to beat their competitors and improve top-lines. This marks a new era for the translation industry.

Historically, whoever owned the translation memory software, 'owned' the customer. The effect of this 'service-lock-in' model has been to block innovation and fair competition in our industry

This alliance illustrates a new 'service-lock-in' that is looming up in the shape of taking control of resources, i.e. the translated words. Whoever controls the words (the 'data') can develop the translation engines of the future .

TAUS Data Association was established precisely to prevent the emergence of new constraints that would hamper the growth and innovation capacity of the translation industry. {is it a joke?} Aquarius joined forces with TDA at the start of the year to combat such a scenario.

We are seeking the industry's collective wisdom to guide our next steps. { should we still do the hard work for you for free...? }The aim is for all stakeholders in the industry no matter how big or small to get the most out of shared language data to make translation easier, better and faster for everyone. { LOL... }

{survey link deleted }

Prize

To thank you for completing the survey it is our pleasure to offer one from a selection of eighteen TAUS Reports usually reserved for TAUS members only. You can make your selection at the end of the consultation questionnaire.

If you have any questions or comments, please contact us.

Sincerely,

The Aquarius and TAUS Data Association Team

Aquarius Business Class membership includes 1 year TDA membership (€75 value)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
sign out / change details
Powered by YourMailingListProvider

[Editado a las 2010-04-28 19:02 GMT]
Collapse

Laurent KRAULAND (X)
Laurent KRAULAND (X)  Identity Verified
France
French to German
+ ...
Not completing this survey.... Apr 28, 2010

because I care about the * provision of translation services* rather than about this *industry* it has become...

Other content censored because of "bad language"...

[Edited at 2010-04-28 18:53 GMT]

Yossi Rozenman
Yossi Rozenman  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2006)
English to Hebrew
+ ...
It looks like phishing! Do not click the link Apr 28, 2010

The real link address is
http://t.ymlp179.com/mhalamejaaaqqqavaeyqmq/click.php

Do not click it!

Pablo Bouvier
German to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Lionbridge and IBM have announced an alliance to beat their competitors... Apr 28, 2010

Yossi Rozenman wrote:

The real link address is
http://t.ymlp179.com/mhalamejaaaqqqavaeyqmq/click.php

Do not click it!

It is not any fishing. The contribute button at the original mail goes directly to the same page of the TAUS association survey, under the services label, sublabel roadmap consultation.

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
I reckon "1984"... Apr 29, 2010

...is worth reading in this situation. Quite some double talk here apparently!

Laurent KRAULAND (X)
France
French to German
+ ...
You name it Apr 29, 2010

Tomás Cano Binder, CT wrote:

...is worth reading in this situation. Quite some double talk here apparently!

I wonder to which extent the results of this survey will be used against the very people who completed it in a near future.

Stanislav Pokorny
Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Exactly Apr 29, 2010

Laurent KRAULAND wrote:

because I care about the * provision of translation services* rather than about this *industry* it has become...

Other content censored because of "bad language"...

[Edited at 2010-04-28 18:53 GMT]

Couldn't agree more...

BTW, it's definitely no phishing, Yossi; I have received the same message from TAUS.

[Upraveno: 2010-04-29 09:25 GMT]

FarkasAndras
FarkasAndras  Identity Verified
English to Hungarian
+ ...
I don't even get it Apr 29, 2010

I received the email, too, and couldn't make heads or tails of it.
Are they whining about IBM and Lionbirdge trying to cement their market position by some mysterious data-collection (?) scheme they say nothing about, and then go on to pimp their own (TAUS') similar scheme in the same breath? It's all a huge mess that was obviously written without thinking about who will read it ("Help us, we might lose market share!" - Why should I care?)

On the other hand, I have no idea wh
... See more
Are they whining about IBM and Lionbirdge trying to cement their market position by some mysterious data-collection (?) scheme they say nothing about, and then go on to pimp their own (TAUS') similar scheme in the same breath? It's all a huge mess that was obviously written without thinking about who will read it ("Help us, we might lose market share!" - Why should I care?)

On the other hand, I have no idea what Pablo is on about, either. Why do you think they are sharing anything without permission? People seem to see IP violations everywhere.
Collapse

Edward Vreeburg
Edward Vreeburg  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 06:17
Member (2008)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Worlds apart Apr 29, 2010

I think IBM and Lionbridge are worlds apart - in fact they are probably in different universes all together... it will be interesting to see how they will get along (unless all the IBM translation staff has already been fired and Lionbridge has taken over)...

---
Ed

[Edited at 2010-04-29 09:35 GMT]

Laurent KRAULAND (X)
France
French to German
+ ...
This is what I thought too... Apr 29, 2010

Edward Vreeburg wrote:

I think IBM and Lionbridge are worlds apart - in fact they are probably in different universes all together... it will be interesting to see how they will get along (unless all the IBM translation staff has already been fired and Lionbridge has taken over)...

---
Ed

I think it is an association which was made out of "necessity", no matter what that word means in the context. Let's wait and see, someone may have to count the points per round

Pablo Bouvier
German to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Lionbridge and IBM have announced an alliance to beat their competitors... Apr 29, 2010

[quote]Edward Vreeburg wrote:

---
Ed

The translation staff of IBM in Spain (Barcelona) was fired many years ago. However, I should say that many people from the translation staff were able to create his own translation agency on the basis of the jobs that were no longer outsourced to external translation agencies. In this sense, I guess this was the less unethical solution for the fired payroll workers. I do not know how IBM translation business run today, but I may imagine that the translators staff will neither be very happy to see such mail.

Yossi Rozenman
Yossi Rozenman  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2006)
English to Hebrew
+ ...
Sorry, you cannot be too careful these days... Apr 29, 2010

Stanislav Pokorny wrote:
BTW, it's definitely no phishing, Yossi; I have received the same message from TAUS.

But when I see one address in the link and other address for the destination URL, it seems fishy to me...

Pablo Bouvier
German to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Lionbridge and IBM have announced an alliance to beat their competitors... Apr 29, 2010

FarkasAndras wrote:

On the other hand, I have no idea what Pablo is on about, either. Why do you think they are sharing anything without permission? People seem to see IP violations everywhere.

Why do you think they are not sharing anything without permission? LB is a translation agency that markets the TW system on which use has already been discussed here extensively. If they do not care to make you to pay for your own work twice, why should they care about anything?

Who assures to the users clients of TW and the users themselves that their memories are not shared by LB without his permission? It makes little sense to create translation engines without using all the resources at their disposal. Nothing to do with IP violations, but with intellectual property rights.

And I am about to keep my colleagues informed for better or for worse. I think it would not do any harm a little more transparency to the translation market...

Pablo Bouvier
German to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER

Yossi Rozenman wrote:

Stanislav Pokorny wrote:

But when I see one address in the link and other address for the destination URL, it seems fishy to me...

As the Spanish saying goes: Better safe than sorry. It is normal to think about fishing when a link is redirected.

[Editado a las 2010-04-29 10:51 GMT]

Speranza
Speranza  Identity Verified

Spanish to Russian
+ ...
News from a week ago: IBM, Lionbridge to Offer Real-time Translation for Business Apr 29, 2010

FarkasAndras wrote:

It's very simple: in a move aimed at adding insult to injury, LB is now going to indefinitely resell the product of their suppliers' work. You'll find a comprehensible explanation here. If that alone is not enough, LB is now sending out emails telling translators they should be happy about this kind of development.

That said, I should point out that LB's partner in this project, IBM, is still using human translators for its own documents, even for not very technical stuff like press releases.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Lionbridge and IBM have announced an alliance to beat their competitors...

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »