When ill
Thread poster: Ilan Rubin (X)
Baran Keki
Baran Keki  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 18:31
English to Turkish
Can't call in sick can you? Jun 10, 2017

This thread made me realize the only good thing about being an in-house translator (a position I held until 3 months ago). You could call in sick and bring a doctor's report the week after. Btw isn't this supposed to be the time of year when you shouldn't get the flue, in the northern hemisphere at any rate?

The Misha
The Misha
Local time: 11:31
Russian to English
+ ...
It all depends... Jun 10, 2017

... on how badly you need that money and want to keep that client. It also depends on your overall relationship with the client. What goes with some, won't with others. But I am sure you know all that yourself.

Get well, Ilan. Or else:)

Mario Chavez (X)
Mario Chavez (X)  Identity Verified
English to Spanish
+ ...
The flu Jun 12, 2017

Baran Keki wrote:

This thread made me realize the only good thing about being an in-house translator (a position I held until 3 months ago). You could call in sick and bring a doctor's report the week after. Btw isn't this supposed to be the time of year when you shouldn't get the flue, in the northern hemisphere at any rate?

When it comes to illnesses, especially the flu, the only thing to protect you is a flu vaccine.

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
:-) Jun 12, 2017

Mario Chavez wrote:

When it comes to illnesses, especially the flu, the only thing to protect you is a flu vaccine.

Somehow I don't think the flu vaccine will protect you against other illnesses, Mario. The clue is in the name.

(And, like all vaccines, it isn't necessary and does more harm than good, etc etc etc.)

Ilan, get well soon. Put them off for a few days. If they can't be reasonable, you don't want them and should tell them to take a running jump. Unless they're likely to send round men with baseball bats, in which case subcontract. IMHO.

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 15:31
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Flew Jun 12, 2017

Thanks to all those who know the correct way to spell the shortened form of "influenza".

Mario Chavez (X)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Rewrite! Jun 12, 2017

Chris S wrote:

Mario Chavez wrote:

Somehow I don't think the flu vaccine will protect you against other illnesses, Mario. The clue is in the name.

(And, like all vaccines, it isn't necessary and does more harm than good, etc etc etc.)

Ilan, get well soon. Put them off for a few days. If they can't be reasonable, you don't want them and should tell them to take a running jump. Unless they're likely to send round men with baseball bats, in which case subcontract. IMHO.

Okay, good point.
When it comes to an illness such as the flu (or influenza), one of the best protections is the flu vaccine.

I disagree with the unscientific (or anti-science) posture that vaccines are unnecessary and do more harm than good. Unless you were being facetious.

Ilan Rubin (X)
Ilan Rubin (X)  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Russian to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks... Jun 12, 2017

... for the good wishes. What I have isn't the flu though. It's a degree of tonsilitis that hits me about once per year and the only prophylaxis possible is having my tonsils removed. But at 45 it's a massive ordeal.

Fortunately I know exactly what antibiotics I need to kill it and I try not to take the same ones more than once per year. One of the great things about living in Russia (apart from the 6% tax as a sole trader) is that you don't have to waste time going to the doctor fo
... See more
... for the good wishes. What I have isn't the flu though. It's a degree of tonsilitis that hits me about once per year and the only prophylaxis possible is having my tonsils removed. But at 45 it's a massive ordeal.

Fortunately I know exactly what antibiotics I need to kill it and I try not to take the same ones more than once per year. One of the great things about living in Russia (apart from the 6% tax as a sole trader) is that you don't have to waste time going to the doctor for a prescription - any pharmacy will sell you whatever you ask for, even if they shouldn't, strictly speaking.

Anyway, back to my original Q - the consensus appears to be "shut up shop". That was never an option in my old life as an investment banker but sounds good - Thank You!!
Collapse

Michael Newton
Michael Newton  Identity Verified
United States
Japanese to English
+ ...
When ill... Jun 12, 2017

The self-employed are never ill.

"Keep calm and soldier on"

Baran Keki
Baran Keki  Identity Verified
Türkiye
English to Turkish
oops! Jun 12, 2017

Tom in London wrote:

Thanks to all those who know the correct way to spell the shortened form of "influenza".

Sorry Btw before that typo and your sarcastic way of making me realize my mistake I had no idea what 'flue' meant, I had to look it up. Thanks for helping me extend my vocabulary.

Mario Chavez (X)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Welcome, Baran Jun 13, 2017

Baran Keki wrote:

Tom in London wrote:

Sorry Btw before that typo and your sarcastic way of making me realize my mistake I had no idea what 'flue' meant, I had to look it up. Thanks for helping me extend my vocabulary.

Hi, Baran, that's Tom; he's British and likes to share some sarcastic witticisms now and then. He means well.

Edith van der Have
Edith van der Have
Netherlands
Local time: 16:31
Member (2016)
English to Dutch
+ ...
We are just people like everyone else ... Jul 13, 2017

Having said that, I would go for a combination of solutions, depending on the type of assignment:

* Small ongoing assignments with close-by deadlines: take paracetamol/acetaminophen and go through the ordeal, which should not take more than a few hours. If that is really impossible: outsource as an urgent assignment to a reliable colleague.
* Larger ongoing assignments, deadline further away: outsource to a reliable colleague
* New assignments, even for good and faithful
... See more
Having said that, I would go for a combination of solutions, depending on the type of assignment:

* Small ongoing assignments with close-by deadlines: take paracetamol/acetaminophen and go through the ordeal, which should not take more than a few hours. If that is really impossible: outsource as an urgent assignment to a reliable colleague.
* Larger ongoing assignments, deadline further away: outsource to a reliable colleague
* New assignments, even for good and faithful clients: do not accept them, mention the fact that you are ill and will let them know when you're up and running again.
Collapse

S_G_C
S_G_C
Romania
Local time: 17:31
English to Romanian
Patience and tea Jul 17, 2017

ILAN RUBIN wrote:

What is your strategy when you get ill? I've got a temperature, sore throat, etc. Out of action since yesterday, it may last several more days. I won't lose my clients but I face a mixture of losing some work and having a stressful pile of work waiting for me to get better and mounting up by the day.

How do you cope in such a situation?

I don't cope at all. Just think, you won't lose your clients. Just let people know you will be "out of service" for a while. If you've got the flu and not just a cold, then your body needs at least 14 days to fully recover.

S_G_C
S_G_C
Romania
Local time: 17:31
English to Romanian
Flu Jul 17, 2017

Mario Chavez wrote:

Unless one is allergic to it. I used to be and never trusted it. Flu is very strange these days, at least in my country.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

When ill

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »