Thread poster: k_webster
k_webster
k_webster
France
Local time: 09:26
French to English
Jan 23, 2017

Hello,

I am looking to set myself up as a freelance translator in France and have decided to go with the auto-entrepreneur statut which I was told was super easy to set up and would take five minutes...
Except on the site to create your 'statut' (https://www.cfe.urssaf.fr/autoentrepreneur/CFE_Declaration), I can't for the life of me find 'traduction'. It mus
... See more
Hello,

I am looking to set myself up as a freelance translator in France and have decided to go with the auto-entrepreneur statut which I was told was super easy to set up and would take five minutes...
Except on the site to create your 'statut' (https://www.cfe.urssaf.fr/autoentrepreneur/CFE_Declaration), I can't for the life of me find 'traduction'. It must surely be there! Can anybody point me in the right direction?

Many thanks
Katy
Collapse

Virginie Lochou
Virginie Lochou  Identity Verified
France
English to French
+ ...
It's under "Secrétariat, Organisation, Services support aux entreprises" Jan 25, 2017

Hi Katy,

After you click on "Déclarer votre début d'activité", you can select "Secrétariat, organisation, services support aux entreprises" (or even "Je ne connais pas mon secteur d'activité) in the "Domaine d'activité" drop-down menu, and then you will be able to type in "traducteur" (the site will recognise it as a valid option).

Then a beautiful (!) form will appear so you can officially register your freelance business. "Activités libérales" should be
... See more
Hi Katy,

After you click on "Déclarer votre début d'activité", you can select "Secrétariat, organisation, services support aux entreprises" (or even "Je ne connais pas mon secteur d'activité) in the "Domaine d'activité" drop-down menu, and then you will be able to type in "traducteur" (the site will recognise it as a valid option).

Then a beautiful (!) form will appear so you can officially register your freelance business. "Activités libérales" should be selected on top and you should see Traducteur in section 7.

Once the paperwork is done, the statut is very easy to manage. Tested and approved here!

If you need more help, feel free to ask!

Best of luck,
Virginie
Collapse

Maggie WAKEFIELD
Maggie WAKEFIELD  Identity Verified
France
French to English
+ ...
APCE Code 7430Z Jan 25, 2017

... is the activity code for translators, if that helps.
I am also registered under micro entreprise and it works well for me.
Bonne continuation !

Trevino Translations (X)

k_webster
k_webster
France
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! Jan 26, 2017

Thank you so much for your replies! Much appreciated...

Chopkins
Chopkins  Identity Verified
France
French to English
So that is the code Jan 27, 2017

MaggieW wrote:

... is the activity code for translators, if that helps.
I am also registered under micro entreprise and it works well for me.
Bonne continuation !

If only I knew this before. I eventually went the same route as Virginie.

lumierre
lumierre
Member (2013)
German to English
+ ...
Autorisation Jul 17, 2018

Can anyone advise me if french legal regulations require from translators to be authorised/have met certain conditions, e.g. training, in order to allow them to practice the occupation of ”translator”?

nordiste
nordiste  Identity Verified
France
English to French
+ ...
In France translation is free and not regulated Jul 18, 2018

lumierre wrote:

Can anyone advise me if french legal regulations require from translators to be authorised/have met certain conditions, e.g. training, in order to allow them to practice the occupation of ”translator”?

The only regulation is to register as a freelancer, either as "micro-entrepreneur" or "profession libérale, BNC" to get a SIRET identification which is mandatory to invoice. Alternatively you can work through a "société de portage" (umbrella company).
Contact https://www.lautoentrepreneur.fr/
or URSSAF https://www.urssaf.fr/portail/home/independant/je-cree-mon-entreprise/mon-centre-de-formalites-des-ent.html

Nothing else is required, no training/certificate/diploma or whatever conditions.

Kay Denney
Caroline Martino

Caroline Martino
Caroline Martino  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2009)
English to French
+ ...
sehr einfache Jan 17, 2019

lumierre wrote:

Nein das ist fast wie in Deutschland, braucht man nicht. Ich bin seit 5 Jahre in NRW, hier muss man auch bei Finanzamt anmelden. Aber in Frankreich ist noch einfacher, können Sie alles online erledigen.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Statut auto-entrepreneur in France

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »