Luke Mersh
Luke Mersh  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 12:40
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER
CV Sep 20, 2015

Hello colleagues.

I have just revised my CV for typos, etc and have uploaded my revised edition.
many thanks for all your help.
You have all been of great help and assistance to me.

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 13:40
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Your web site, too Sep 20, 2015

Luke Mersh wrote:
So I am asking you what work ethics and policies you have with your agencies to secure more work load.

Apart from checking your CV for errors, you can also fix the errors on your web site. Your web site is rather simple and looks a bit amateurish -- can you spruce it up with better fonts, perhaps, and by not using centred text so much. Also, the capitalisation is inconsistent, and there are some spacing errors as well (also minor grammar errors that may make clients think you're not really English).

The only other advice I can think of that hasn't been given here specifically is to communicate with clients in such a way that they remember you for being a pleasant and efficient person to work with. There are valid excuses for making contact with clients after a job, e.g. if you follow up a month later to hear if they were satisfied with the job, or follow up two months later to ask for more work.

Luke Mersh
United Kingdom
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER
website Sep 20, 2015

@Samuel

Thanks for your reply, I agree it is simple and I did that intentionally, as to keep it simple and uncluttered.

I am in the process of creating a new website, but this requires a lot of time, which unfortunately at the moment I do not have a lot of, but I will check it for error and look at maybe for the time updating the fonts, colour scheme and any other issues I find.

many thanks

564354352 (X)
564354352 (X)  Identity Verified
Denmark
Danish to English
+ ...
Name on tab Sep 21, 2015

I wonder whether you used someone else's CV as your template and forgot to alter some significant parts?

When I open your CV, the tab on my screen says Arzu Durukan, not Luke Mersh. My alarm bells would go off immediately, if I were a potential client.

As others have said, you really need to be careful with your CV if you want to stand out as someone who pays attention to details - even after you have updated your CV, it contains many mistakes, including some very basi
... See more
I wonder whether you used someone else's CV as your template and forgot to alter some significant parts?

When I open your CV, the tab on my screen says Arzu Durukan, not Luke Mersh. My alarm bells would go off immediately, if I were a potential client.

As others have said, you really need to be careful with your CV if you want to stand out as someone who pays attention to details - even after you have updated your CV, it contains many mistakes, including some very basic ones. Remember that people in the language profession are looking for all of those little details, and they have eagle eyes!
Collapse

Luke Mersh
United Kingdom
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER
reply Sep 21, 2015

Gitte Hovedskov, MCIL wrote:

As others have said, you really need to be careful with your CV if you want to stand out as someone who pays attention to details - even after you have updated your CV, it contains many mistakes, including some very basic ones. Remember that people in the language profession are looking for all of those little details, and they have eagle eyes!

I had noticed that too, but do not know how to change it.

I will check out these issue some more thank you.

Maria S. Loose, LL.M.
Maria S. Loose, LL.M.  Identity Verified
Belgium
German to English
+ ...
typos on your CV Sep 22, 2015

Hi Luke,
I looked at your CV and there might still be some typos. For example, you might want to replace the words "home career" with "home carer". I am sorry, but I think agencies, when seeing these mistakes, will never believe that you are capable of translating into English.

[Edited at 2015-09-22 16:51 GMT]

[Edited at 2015-09-22 16:52 GMT]

[Edited at 2015-09-22 17:48 GMT]

Luke Mersh
United Kingdom
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER
reply Sep 22, 2015

Thanks for that.
I have completely uploaded the revised version yet, as I have been finishing a project for a client.
So I will take a look now make adjustments before uploading final copy.

many thanks

John Fossey
John Fossey  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 08:40
Member (2008)
French to English
+ ...
Be careful in this forum Sep 22, 2015

If you don't mind another comment, I might suggest being very careful about what you write here. Clients check out forum postings as well to form a judgement of a translator's abilities. So little grammatical errors such as "...a look now make adjustments..." will stand out like a sore thumb to them.

Using this site's feature to track visitors to my profile, it is surprising how many times I find a new client has been reviewing my profile before contacting me!

Tansy Tazewell
Tansy Tazewell  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2008)
German to English
Tell your clients you have free capacity Sep 23, 2015

I drop my agency clients a quick email if I ever have free capacity and it doesn't usually take long after that for something to come in.

Good luck!

Luke Mersh
United Kingdom
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER
reply Sep 23, 2015

Tansy wrote:

I drop my agency clients a quick email if I ever have free capacity and it doesn't usually take long after that for something to come in.

Good luck!

Many thanks.

Richard Purdom
Richard Purdom  Identity Verified
Portugal
Dutch to English
+ ...
You're not coming across well Sep 23, 2015

Hi Luke,

Before anything else, you've got to get these typos sorted out. We all make them, but there are too many: your CV's opening line is 'I am talented, dedicated and enthusiastic freelance translator.', your profile says you lived in 'main land Spain'.

These are things a spellchecker won't pick up on, you just have to be more careful!

Luke Mersh
United Kingdom
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER
reply Sep 23, 2015

Richard Purdom wrote:

Hi Luke,

Before anything else, you've got to get these typos sorted out. We all make them, but there are too many: your CV's opening line is 'I am talented, dedicated and enthusiastic freelance translator.', your profile says you lived in 'main land Spain'.

These are things a spellchecker won't pick up on, you just have to be more careful!

Many thanks

DLyons
DLyons  Identity Verified
Ireland
Spanish to English
+ ...
This has been going on for years. Sep 23, 2015

Richard Purdom wrote:

Hi Luke,

http://esl.proz.com/forum/getting_established/218512-becoming_a_freelance_translator_feedback_wanted.html

Luke Mersh
United Kingdom
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER
reply Sep 23, 2015

Yes.
I am going to sort these issues out tomorrow.
Many thanks.

Luke Mersh
United Kingdom
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER
thank you Sep 25, 2015

Thank you all very much for your help and support.
It is nice to be part of a community that cares and that is positive.

After reading all your comments, I have acted on all of them.

I am so glad I became a full member of this workplace.
regards

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

working with agencies- help wanted

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »