walkabout
walkabout  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 09:02
English to Spanish
+ ...
Oct 29, 2014

Hello,

UNE-EN 15038 says that a translator must be able to prove, documentally, 5 years or more of experience. Does anyone know what type/s of document/s these might be? Letters from agencies perhaps, previous employers, clients ... ? Thanks

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 08:02
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
Invoices? Oct 29, 2014

I would imagine that invoices would be the standard proof for freelancers; and an employment contract for in-house translators.

Josephine Cassar
Josephine Cassar  Identity Verified
Malta
Member (2012)
English to Maltese
+ ...
Translation standards Oct 29, 2014

Here is where it is explained briefly but clearly-http://www.intertext.es/en/intertext/certifications/une-en-15038.html. It was formed in 2006, it seems. sorry, I can't seem to get the link right somehow.

[Edited at 2014-10-29 19:36 GMT]

[Edited at 2014-10-29 19:36 GMT]

[Edited at 2014-10-29 19:37 GMT]

DLyons
DLyons  Identity Verified
Ireland
Local time: 08:02
Spanish to English
+ ...
Link Oct 29, 2014

Josephine Cassar
Malta
Member (2012)
English to Maltese
+ ...
Thank you Oct 30, 2014

Thank you DLyons. I just could not get it right.

walkabout
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
UNE-EN 15038 Oct 30, 2014

Thanks Sheila, invoices sound logical. I was however hoping to see something specifically written within the UNE 15038 guidelines/certificate regarding this. Letters of recommendation, invoices, etc.

Maybe I'm not looking in the right place, but the link provided by Josephine doesn't seem to mention anything.

Josephine Cassar
Malta
Member (2012)
English to Maltese
+ ...
Certification Oct 30, 2014

If it is certification you are looking for, then this appendix is what you are looking for: http://www.lics-certification.org/downloads/04_CertScheme-LICS-EN15038v40_2011-09-01-EN.pdf. There are many references to UNE- EN 15038, all easily foundable, but this speaks about certification which you mentioned in your last post. Hope it helps.

walkabout
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
UNE-EN 15038 Oct 31, 2014

Hi Josephine, thanks for your efforts but it doesn't really help, it only goes as far as saying "at least five years of documented professional experience in translation", but it doesn't specify which documents. I've been poking around for a while looking for an answer but I can't find anything. I'm guessing that they haven't set out any specific documentation.

Thayenga
Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
Tax files? Nov 1, 2014

If you have worked as a freelancer, then you can send a copy of your first tax return letter as a freelance translator - of course without any amounts stated on there.

You could also asked your clients, e. g. for a WWA here on Proz. That is, if you've worked with them for 5 + years.

Or your letter of recommendation if you had worked in-house.

Josephine Cassar
Malta
Member (2012)
English to Maltese
+ ...
No specific documentation Nov 1, 2014

But isn't it better if the documentation is not specified, even if I understand your dilemma. I think it is better than if they had specified certain fields, for instance, as they normally do. Maybe they want only that you prove you have 5+ years of translation experience, but not in any specific field. Good luck. You can maybe ask the clients you worked with/for to show you have been translating for the 5+ years. Or can you ask them, if there is an email address on the site? I don't know if the... See more
But isn't it better if the documentation is not specified, even if I understand your dilemma. I think it is better than if they had specified certain fields, for instance, as they normally do. Maybe they want only that you prove you have 5+ years of translation experience, but not in any specific field. Good luck. You can maybe ask the clients you worked with/for to show you have been translating for the 5+ years. Or can you ask them, if there is an email address on the site? I don't know if the email address at the bottom of this site helps; maybe you can try it: www.intertext.es/en/intertext/certifications/une-en-15038.html.Collapse

walkabout
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
UNE-EN 15038 Nov 1, 2014

Ok. Thanks.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

UNE-EN 15038

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »